cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer remorse

Folks

inlisted qty 4 of an item and the buyer emailed me back stating there are some missing parts in the device and claiming it’s not brand new. I sent back info correcting him and letting him know this particular model doesn’t even have those parts included and the manufacturers spec sheet shows that. He has put in a claim on the item which is about 1500 total. My listing also shows no returns accepted

how through is ebay generally in investigating or have they leaned heavier in favor of the buyer in the past. Should I offer him a 25% refund but let him keep the item as a sign of goodwill but maybe offer that in the 2nd round once ebay investigators get involved

thanks

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Buyer remorse

Tell them to return the item for a full refund.

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

Buyer remorse

There are no Ebay investigators.

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

Buyer remorse

I had a good chuckle when I read this.

"ebay investigators?" Here are your investigators. A computer program that rules in the buyer's favor 99.99% of the time, generally in less than 90 seconds of filing.

If you put this in ebay's hands, not only will you lose almost immediately, you will get a defect that could jeopardize your account.  And if you decide to call the Philippines to appeal, you will get one of a handful of script speak, telling you what you want to hear with actually nothing being done.

Your best option is to tell the buyer to return for refund and block. Why on earth would you give him a 25% gift???

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

Buyer remorse

OP - you're selling a lot of high value merchandise on a low feedback account which can attract scammers. It's best if you are going to continue listing items like this that you are very specific in your description what comes with the item and what a buyer will have to purchase separately in order to use these items.

As others have said - tell the buyer to return for refund. 

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Buyer remorse

Have buyer return item to you for a refund. eBay doesn’t investigate, they will refund buyer and you get a defect. Had a customer say she didn’t like an item in messages, I said sorry no returns, she went to eBay and filed a refund and claimed defective even though she stated remorse she won and I got a strike and the item returned to me broken and worthless. Learned my lesson and even though it’s no returns I still will accept if the buyer returns the item. 

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

Buyer remorse

@iodlee wrote:

Folks

inlisted qty 4 of an item and the buyer emailed me back stating there are some missing parts in the device and claiming it’s not brand new. I sent back info correcting him and letting him know this particular model doesn’t even have those parts included and the manufacturers spec sheet shows that. He has put in a claim on the item which is about 1500 total. My listing also shows no returns accepted

how through is ebay generally in investigating or have they leaned heavier in favor of the buyer in the past. Should I offer him a 25% refund but let him keep the item as a sign of goodwill but maybe offer that in the 2nd round once ebay investigators get involved

thanks

You're right, it's just buyers remorse. The thing is, once your buyer read that you don't accept returns, he knew he'd have to invent a complaint and open a case to get his money back....because ebay will most likely take his word over yours.

Instead of offering him a 25% refund, why not just tell him that you'll refund him in full and that you'll pay for return shipping as a kind gesture on your part. That would be a lot cheaper than throwing away 25% of the item's cost.

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Buyer remorse

on Ebay, no returns does not mean no refunds 

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

Buyer remorse

Your description reads "tested and everything is working fine". I know nothing about those. If a buyer purchases them can they plug them in and they will work fine as you say ? Or is the buyer saying it needs parts to be working fine ?

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

Buyer remorse

The buyer will win. What you have to consider is what's the best for you. Is it better to refund 25% and let the buyer keep it or send a label and have it returned and refund the entire amount.
Message 10 of 20
latest reply

Buyer remorse

You are a seller. You have NO rights, NO protection, and NO appeals process.
Sorry the buyers already know that.
Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Buyer remorse

what exactly is a defect on an ebay account? Is it a negative feedback and shows when buyers are trying to buy an item from you
Message 12 of 20
latest reply

Buyer remorse

Defects on your account are private; buyers cannot see them (NOT to be confused with feedback). If you get a certain amount of defects, Ebay may give warnings/suspension of seller account. Unless you get over 2 I believe, it is not a big problem. So yes, it is something to avoid, but private between you & Ebay..

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

Buyer remorse

@iodlee wrote:

Folks

thanks

If your buyer opened a Not As Described claim, it doesn't matter that you do not accept returns. Ebay policy trumps your policy. You have to answer the case before eBay steps in. You do not want eBay to decide the case because it is almost always for the buyer, and then you receive a black mark on your account in the form of a defect, and they remove the funds from your account and refund the buyer. You will have to refund, but they must return the item(s) to you first, (and you are responsible for the return shipping). 

If I were you, I would read up on eBay policy before you sell anything more. As another poster mentioned, high dollar items on a low feedback account can attract scammers, and you will be at their mercy because you don't know what the policies are, and you can bet they know them. Below are some links to important rules you need to know when selling here. 

One other piece of advice: always keep enough money in your PayPal account to cover a return. As you can see, sales can go south even if you have a no return policy. Good luck to you.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/member-behaviour-policies/user-agreement?id=4259

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/selling-policies?id=4214

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

Buyer remorse

Maybe in future instead of selling qty 4 I should sell separate quantities and list them at different times so I'm selling to a variety of buyers. I was just doing this so I could ship everything out in a single transaction 

Message 15 of 20
latest reply