cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer refuses to open Ebay return for refund

A buyer wanted to return something saying it didn't fit. I said yes, and told them to open a return within ebay saying it doesn't fit and I'll give them their refund. Buyer just went and sent the item back to me and when it arrived they asked for the refund.

I told them that they need to file an ebay return and once they do it, I'll give them their refund immediately. The buyer hasn't opened one and is still asking for their money back. Would you guys just cave and refund them or stick to your guns telling them to open a return?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

He probably opened one too many cases and is in danger of losing his buyer protection.

Sick to your guns - He opens a case before you can act on the return.

Rinse and repeat.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

I don't understand why you think you are "caving in" to giving the buyer back their money. You got your item back so just refund.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

As Emerald said, they need to open a return on eBay, otherwise you won't get your FVF back.  If they continue to refuse and keep asking, I'd then report them to eBay.  As above they may be on a very short leash as far as returns go.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Why not cancel and refund? Buyer requested fits since they asked for a return and returned the item.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Refund the buyer through Paypal. Then go into the Resolution section and you can request a cancelation of sale (I think there is a selection  "buyer returnes for refund) and this will give you your fees back. Do not hold the refund.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

I am not sure but if you just refund do you get your fees back?

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

My two cents - if the buyer indeed has abused the MBG - they should have been honest enough and told you that so you could have accepted the return if you chose to and then open a cancellation at buyer's request so you could get back your FVFs.

I realize the OP has the item back - but if this is a bad buyer that has amassed so many returns that they have or are in fear of losing their MBG - I don't want them as a buyer on Ebay. Continue repeating that they need to open a return req for fit so you can refund them and recover your FVFs.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

I am not sure but if you just refund do you get your fees back?

No. Either a return request has to be opened or he can cancel the transaction. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@missjen831 wrote:

Why not cancel and refund? Buyer requested fits since they asked for a return and returned the item.

I was going to say refund and be done.

But if this guy is a serial returner, then sellers need to stand up and put a stop to it.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

I don't understand why you think you are "caving in" to giving the buyer back their money. You got your item back so just refund.

"Caving in" as to being the opposite of "sticking to your guns." This refers to how ebay doesn't want returns to be done without return requests being made. I'm sure they have a list of reasons why, which include some of the issues others have mentioned here, as well as protection. Otherwise, why have ebay returns at all?

It's interesting to see the different reasons from the members here. Thanks for the replies.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

I stuck to my guns and got shafted due to the principle I believe in - but I still believe that buyers have to be as responsibile and follow the rules as sellers have to. In effect it is caving in - to issue this refund when the proper procedure hasn't been followed. All sales and returns need to be documented to prevent future problems.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Would you guys just cave and refund them or stick to your guns telling them to open a return?

If by "cave in" you mean handle the return the way it's been done for the last 50 years rather than make a mountain out of a molehill, yeah, I'd cave.

And I'm not sure why I'd need any guns when I already have the goods and the money.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Ref. "I said yes, and told them to open a return within ebay saying it doesn't fit and I'll give them their refund." 

You agreed to accept a return for an item that didn't fit and that was the condition. Stick to it. I would not accept a return for an item because it didn't fit, but that's me.

energy flows where attention goes

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@bigdeals.etc wrote:

@coolections wrote:

"Caving in" as to being the opposite of "sticking to your guns." This refers to how ebay doesn't want returns to be done without return requests being made. I'm sure they have a list of reasons why, which include some of the issues others have mentioned here, as well as protection. Otherwise, why have ebay returns at all?

It's interesting to see the different reasons from the members here. Thanks for the replies.

No, "caving in" and "sticking to your guns" is not a good approach either way. You got your items back so provide good customer service and give a refund as the buyer would expect you to do.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply