cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer possibly lying about damage

Buyer received package and immediately sent email claiming one of bulbs I sent is broken on pieces. I asked for pictures, but he/she responded "It's already gone in the trash compactor as it almost cut my hand had I not been really careful when I opened the package".

Those are regular shaped round LED bulbs, entire body is made of thick plastic and someone should beat it with something like hammer to break it. I disassembled many of them and know they are VERY hard to break, and to break it "on pieces" is almost impossible. Look like buyer not realized it is plastic when he was making his story.

So he got no item left to make pics or to send it back, but he wants me to just take his questionable story and refund payment. Its just $5 so I would rather refund then risk neg feedback, but I still dont feel like buyers should be allowed to do that. Is there anything i can do other then blocking/reporting him?

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

@blue_finch wrote:

Buyer received package and immediately sent email claiming one of bulbs I sent is broken on pieces. I asked for pictures, but he/she responded "It's already gone in the trash compactor as it almost cut my hand had I not been really careful when I opened the package".

Those are regular shaped round LED bulbs, entire body is made of thick plastic and someone should beat it with something like hammer to break it. I disassembled many of them and know they are VERY hard to break, and to break it "on pieces" is almost impossible. Look like buyer not realized it is plastic when he was making his story.

So he got no item left to make pics or to send it back, but he wants me to just take his questionable story and refund payment. Its just $5 so I would rather refund then risk neg feedback, but I still dont feel like buyers should be allowed to do that. Is there anything i can do other then blocking/reporting him?

Buyers are under no obligation to send pictures.

I would just refund him the $5.

And make sure to block him.

Message 2 of 46
latest reply

Consider yourself lucky and move on.
There are horror stories on here from sellers who lose $800+ on refunded items that the buyer then even gets to keep.
Message 3 of 46
latest reply

Initial reply, 'return for refund' and see how they react.

Maybe also try, 'my items are not made of glass, are you sure you have the right seller'

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 4 of 46
latest reply

@chrysylys wrote:

Maybe also try, 'my items are not made of glass, are you sure you have the right seller'

Im sure its will be the same response "It's already gone in the trash compactor"

I mentioned that its not glass and said I need pictures for claim with PO because they should smash it really hard to break it 🙂 He agreed with response "Probably something heavy fell onto that side of the package". BTW, there no mention about any damage to the packaging in the first messsage.

Message 5 of 46
latest reply

@blue_finch wrote:

@chrysylys wrote:

Im sure its will be the same response "It's already gone in the trash compactor"

I mentioned that its not glass and said I need pictures for claim with PO because they should smash it really hard to break it 🙂 He agreed with response "Probably something heavy fell onto that side of the package". BTW, there no mention about any damage to the packaging in the first messsage.

"Please retrieve the broken pieces from the trash compactor and return for a refund. If you are unable to return the item even if it is broken, unfortunately I cannot offer you a refund."

If he's just trying to get the item for free or get a partial refund, he might just go away. You may want to check his feedback left for others and see if he has a pattern of leaving serial negs or even read the feedback he has received to look for any "false positives" (even though that violates ebay policy, sellers still do it regular to unscrupulous buyers).

Sometimes it's worth accepting a negative as a badge of honor and not giving in or sacrificing your principles or integrity to let these scumbags win.

Message 6 of 46
latest reply

Yes, but they are under obligation to return item if they want refund, in most cases sending pictures is a lot easier and faster, it also makes no sense pay for the shipping of items that should be discarded anyway. 

Message 7 of 46
latest reply

If the package is damaged the shipper will add notice to that point, including a plastic wrapper to make stuff stay together.

Can the buyer send you a picture of the wrappings?

Message 8 of 46
latest reply

@blue_finch wrote:

Yes, but they are under obligation to return item if they want refund, in most cases sending pictures is a lot easier and faster, it also makes no sense pay for the shipping of items that should be discarded anyway. 

Of course it doesn't make sense to receive a broken, useless item back. But it is the principle of the matter. Most people will not be dishonest enough to send back a completely different item and will just drop the matter of trying to get a partial refund.

But if they do insist they want a refund, the proper way to go about it is to have them return it to you.

Message 9 of 46
latest reply

I bought a fiber optic item some years back.  The pictures were kind of indistinct so I asked the seller if what I saw all over the item was there.  It looked like white spots, not small ones, either, more the size of fingerprints.  Seller assured me it was fine.  It came with the spots all over it.  So I messaged the seller and referred her again to the pictures, and reminded her I asked and she said it was fine.  She insisted on a return, which she paid for, and back it went.  Seller was chagrined and said you were right, I had to throw it away!  Sorry that happened, it is a shame you paid good money to throw it away, but I referred you to your pictures where you can see the spots.  

I actually went on to buy more from this seller.  She would check things before shipping after this!

Message 10 of 46
latest reply

As some of the above have said, as soon as the buyer has an excuse why they can't do pictures, "return for refund".   There are way too many buyers trying to get things for free.   You may still get back an empty package, but in most cases they will back down.

(not saying there are no bad sellers)

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 11 of 46
latest reply

@jonathankirkland wrote:

Of course it doesn't make sense to receive a broken, useless item back. But it is the principle of the matter. Most people will not be dishonest enough to send back a completely different item and will just drop the matter of trying to get a partial refund.

This why asked for pictures - this is best way to avoid hassle with returning and prove that damage is real. I always making pictures of damaged items when Im buying something, sellers dont even have to ask me 🙂 No way I would just open smashed package and then throw item in the trash compactor before talking with seller and showing him pictures.

Message 12 of 46
latest reply

A $5 broken bulb and everyone screams scam. I would have thrown it away too. IMO it would be an insult to insist a buyer return a broken $5 bulb.

Message 13 of 46
latest reply

@blue_finch wrote:

@jonathankirkland wrote:

This why asked for pictures - this is best way to avoid hassle with returning and prove that damage is real. I always making pictures of damaged items when Im buying something, sellers dont even have to ask me 🙂 No way I would just open smashed package and then throw item in the trash compactor before talking with seller and showing him pictures.

I agree pictures are proof. But you cannot force a buyer to send pictures.

What you can do is politely let them know that they can return the item for a refull refund.

And since this seems very suspicious they may back off. It's worth a try. Hopefully if they do follow through on returning "something" it won't cost you a lot in shipping, if they open a SNAD case. 

Message 14 of 46
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

A $5 broken bulb and everyone screams scam. I would have thrown it away too. IMO it would be an insult to insist a buyer return a broken $5 bulb.

Which is why I suggested checking the buyers feedback and feedback left for possible clues.

No, it is not insulting. When you have a problem with an order, you return it for a refund. That's how things work...

If you ordered a bulb online from a B&M store and it arrived damaged do you think they would say "oh no worries just throw it away here's your full refund?" Absolutely not.

Message 15 of 46
latest reply