cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer location not showing on messages/emails (May 14) - RESOLVED (May 15)

Is everybody else experiencing the same?

Buyer messaged me just now with a shipping question and I noticed the buyer's location is no longer showing on the eBay message email. Checked numerous buyer messages from today and none show the location. Did not go through previous messages to see when this began, but I do remember checking a buyer's location on an email Friday and the info was present.

Wondering if this is the glitch du jour or an intentional change made by eBay for privacy reasons. If it's an intentional change it sure does make it harder with more back-and-forth when buyers ask questions about shipping and don't give their location in the message.

UPDATE: This turned out to be a glitch on all buyer messages I received to my email May 14th. As of May 15th, buyer location (city/state/country) is back.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

The last email I got from a buyer was on the 12th.  And their location did show at the bottom of the email.  IDK if that helps, but I thought I'd let you know in case it did.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Thanks, appreciate it @mam98031 .

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

Now that you mention it, the buyer's location is not showing on offers either. We used to get an offer and see what State they were in. This helped us, as we have Free Shipping. I went back through the offers today and not one had the buyer's location. This is disastrous if it continues. 

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

I received messages from a buyer (Tuesday) and the location is showing. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

@albertabrightalberta wrote:

I received messages from a buyer (Tuesday) and the location is showing. 

Same here.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

You won't appreciate the new messages system if you haven't switched over then.  It doesn't show me anything about a buyer in the message except their username, and it takes a couple clicks to find their location from there.  We switched only because we were going to use the updated MUAA, but I might try to switch back now that I'm thinking about it, since it's definitely a drawback (it also lacks complicated and unusual features such as... searching your messages).

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

Can we ask the buyer directly to kindly provide their information? Is this against eBay's policy?

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

@wastingtime101 

Just checked an inquiry from yesterday and it was showing city and state.

Posting ID
Message 9 of 21
latest reply

Asking for a full address might trigger the bots to think you were trying to take the sale off eBay, wrongly or not, but just asking for a city, state, country combo or a zip/postal code would be fine.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

it also lacks complicated and unusual features such as... searching your messages

I use that feature every so often, bummer to see it go.

And along with location noted with an offers.

CDM Antiques
Message 11 of 21
latest reply

They say they're working on bringing it back, but they've said that since they introduced the new messages, and no movement.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

@brightlightbookseller wrote:

Asking for a full address might trigger the bots to think you were trying to take the sale off eBay, wrongly or not, but just asking for a city, state, country combo or a zip/postal code would be fine.

I have to ask for full addresses when shipping via freight to give the buyer a freight cost. Those have not been flagged yet though a phone number always gets flagged and recently the message is deleted by bot before sending.

Posting ID
Message 13 of 21
latest reply

@brightlightbookseller wrote:

You won't appreciate the new messages system if you haven't switched over then.  

I won't switch over voluntarily until/unless they CC sent messages to my email. Last I checked, that was not yet an option with the new format, Can't do it on the app, either.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

@atomicupcycle wrote:

Now that you mention it, the buyer's location is not showing on offers either.

Are you still having that problem today @atomicupcycle ?

Got a couple messages from buyers this morning and the location info is back on the email so it must have been a short-lived glitch. Don't know if it's the same with offers or not.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply