cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer claims box was torn open, refused delivery and is claiming refund

I have a buyer who claims that they received a torn/open box with the item was missing. Here's the relevant information

- On receiving the item they said the box was torn and open with the item missing

- They said that there was a note form USPS that says that the box arrived at the facility already damaged.

- They took the box back to USPS and refused delivery and the item is being returned to me.

- They then filed a request for a full refund noting "missing part or pieces", threatening they would leave negative feedback if I did not provide an immediate refund. 

- The other relevant information is that I had to file a case as they did not pay within 48 hours after the auction ended (during which I sent a reminder invoice)

From my side

- the box was well very packed with multiple layers of tape.

- USPS accepted the box with no issues when I dropped it off and shipped it to the buyer.

From what I can tell this seems like a common scam but I'll give the buyer the benefit of the doubt and would like some advice as to how to handle this. Thanks in advance 

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

@molliemargaret wrote:

I have a buyer who claims that they received a torn/open box with the item was missing. Here's the relevant information

- On receiving the item they said the box was torn and open with the item missing

- They said that there was a note form USPS that says that the box arrived at the facility already damaged.

- They took the box back to USPS and refused delivery and the item is being returned to me.

- They then filed a request for a full refund noting "missing part or pieces", threatening they would leave negative feedback if I did not provide an immediate refund. 

- The other relevant information is that I had to file a case as they did not pay within 48 hours after the auction ended (during which I sent a reminder invoice)

From my side

- USPS accepted the box with no issues when I dropped it off and shipped it to the buyer.

From what I can tell this seems like a common scam but I'll give the buyer the benefit of the doubt and would like some advice as to how to handle this. Thanks in advance 

What they are doing is called feedback extortion.  Even if they do leave a neg, you can get that removed.  I'm curious as to how they can refuse delivery, if it was already delivered?  Was it marked, "return to sender?"  Those are different.  With the feedback thing, and with the unpaid case, I think you should make a little call on Monday and point all of this out.  This is definitely fishy, and you're right.... There's no way it wasn't in the very least damaged in transit if there was any legitimate damage.  With them not even trying to provide evidence of the damage, making demands, and threatening negative feedback, they in no way deserve to just get away with that.  Look at the feedback they've left for others and see if there's a pattern.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

You're not required to issue a refund until you have the package back in your hands. At that time you can see if indeed USPS marked it as damaged.

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Thanks for the advice - I definitely won't be letting them get away with it.  USPS says it was delivered at 8:40am and then refused at 9:30am (buyer said they took it back to the post office). 

How do I request for negative feedback to be removed? Thanks

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

It would have been easier to get the FB removed had you not replied to it

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Having boxes torn open used to be more frequent than it is now. They get stuck in the machinery and destroyed. I wouldn't be too quick to call scam. It may have been damaged, sent to the last facility and the damage noted. 

Every return is not necessarily a scam. I remember just getting a label returned to me. I always try to think what I would do if the tables were reversed. 

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@molliemargaret wrote:

Thanks for the advice - I definitely won't be letting them get away with it.  USPS says it was delivered at 8:40am and then refused at 9:30am (buyer said they took it back to the post office). 

How do I request for negative feedback to be removed? Thanks

Had this happen once.Buyer held parcel for two days then had carrier mark it return to sender.

They sent me back a box of rags.

I won the case.

As long as the tracking shows delivered first, they had it in their possession and you should win.

Don't give up.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Just to be clear.

Did it arrive at his home with a sticker that the package was damaged.

Can you call his Post Office and confirm that.

If it checks out, then yes, the item was damaged in transit or tampered with.

Did you purchase insurance?

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

#1: what is the exact text of the message threatening the negative feedback?

#2: If the item came in the post office damaged they may even have pictures of it to prove either way.  Presuming it was tracked, they get scanned multiple places.  What does the tracking indicate?

The buyer's actions indicate either you shipped this not with Priority Mail or insured, or that they're outright being shady.  if it's insured, they can just as easily file the claim on it as you, or they'd be more forthcoming with photos of damage, etc. -

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

If it was damaged empty box receiving post office should have that on record, so I would call them. 

Buyer should also have picture of the sticker on the box. At that point seller has to refund, then file a claim. Buyer should not file a claim because with MBG buyer is always refunded in these cases. Seller is the one who has suffered a loss. 

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

xgoblazersx wrote: 
I'm curious as to how they can refuse delivery, if it was already delivered? 

That's acceptable as long as they bring it back to the post office unopened. It can be stamped as Refused/Return to Sender at that point, and shipped back. The fact that the carrier dropped it off and it was in the buyer's possession for some period of time before returning it to the post office doesn't matter; it can still be marked as Refused.

The fact that it's claimed to have been damaged in shipping is an extra complication, but presumably the PO could tell whether the original package seal was still intact. There should be some kind of red stamp or label attached by the USPS if it got damaged along the way, and the buyer seems to be referring to one. 

If it's on the way back already, wait to see what arrives, and update us here.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@molliemargaret wrote:

From my side

Well, this has happened to me, too. I really did not stop to think it was a scam.  The part about threatening a neg is hostile but the bottom line is they did not get what they bought and want a refund.  A gentle response tends to tone these people down and may even result in a positive if you refund for non-delivery. If there was no insurance it sucks to have to refund, but we are responsible until the item is delivered. 

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

What is rather odd is that the buyer immediately started out with a hostile stance toward the seller, even though even the dimmest of bulbs would understand that the fault here would be USPS, as it would have had to happen after the seller put it in the mail.

Any normal and sane person would have taken pictures of the damaged package, then sent off a polite email explaining what had happened, and then just as politely ask the seller how they should proceed together (refund, replacement, or send empty package back for a full refund upon receipt).

Since he went immediately on the warpath, that would be evidence more in the direction that he is trying to pull a fast one via intimidation and extortion.  Granted, that isn't proof, but it is evidence weighted in that direction.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 13 of 13
latest reply