cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer claims I sold them counterfeit product when it isn't

Hello, I listed a pair of Bose headphones on EBay, and this guy at first sent me a counter offer, by the time I got to it he had bought them with the original listing price.

he left a message saying 'make sure it's a factory wrap and not a counterfeit bubbly wrap', so I told him before the funds clear, and I ship it out I can send him more pictures of the wrapping before I send them out, he said no need to, he'll 'take my word for it'

long story short he got them today and sure enough he's claiming that the 'wrapping is a counterfeit wrapping' because he said he knows how Bose wrapping is.

he keeps asking where I got the product from, I know for a fact that the headphones are legit and i never opened the box or unwrapped it.

what advice would you give me here? Because I am not sure what the guy wants, or if he's just saying that to keep the headphones and get his money back.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Just respond with, "I"m sorry that you're not satisfied with the headphones. Please return them for a full refund." No need to debate authenticity with someone who's not going to believe you anyway, nor do you want to be talked into a partial refund in the hopes of getting him to go away. 

His questions about where you got the headphones from are irrelevant, because if he's sure that they're fake, he would only want to return them promptly. This line of questioning suggests that either he's not sure, or he just wants to get you rattled, in the hopes that you'll offer either a partial or full refund without asking for the headphones to be returned. 

So... just respond with "return for refund," and don't get sucked into back-and-forth discussion. There is no benefit for you in going down that rabbit hole.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

My advice would be short and sweet. Return for refund with tracking

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Just respond with, "I"m sorry that you're not satisfied with the headphones. Please return them for a full refund." No need to debate authenticity with someone who's not going to believe you anyway, nor do you want to be talked into a partial refund in the hopes of getting him to go away. 

His questions about where you got the headphones from are irrelevant, because if he's sure that they're fake, he would only want to return them promptly. This line of questioning suggests that either he's not sure, or he just wants to get you rattled, in the hopes that you'll offer either a partial or full refund without asking for the headphones to be returned. 

So... just respond with "return for refund," and don't get sucked into back-and-forth discussion. There is no benefit for you in going down that rabbit hole.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

This was planned from the start.  The questioning, the **bleep** wrapping claims, immediate demands for a return.  He targeted you for your low feedback in the hopes you wouldn't handle this right.  I agree with a_c, "return for refund" and nothing else.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Total horsepoop on buyers part. He is first SO CONCERNED about the wrapping, then you offer to send pictures, and suddenly, he is not so worried. If I was worried about a counterfeit, I surely would have asked for the photos--RETURN FOR REFUND and no partial refund.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

How do you know they are legit?    You also sold Dr Dre items which are also commonly counterfeit.  

This guy wants a refund.    Make sure you send them a return label and refund their full payment once you have the item back.

This is my posting user ID.
I have different user IDs for selling, buying and posting.
NOTE: Responders are eBay users like you that volunteer to help other users. We are not compensated by eBay.
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Thanks a lot for your helpful insight. He was asking a tons of questions about the wrapping as soon as he bought them, and like I mentioned, I even offered to send him photos AND  I was willing to even send a video. 

He sent me 2 pictures yesterday with the same headphones and the same boxes, he was showing me how the one he got (the one he claims is legit) is wrapped properly and how the other one isn't. 

I've never refunded somebody on ebay because I don't sell much on here, can you  point me in the right way to do that? since I want to make sure I get the headphones and he gets his money abck, I dont want to refund him and next thing I know the headphones didnt get shipped back to me.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

I'm afraid you're right, this was from the beginning, if he was so worried about the wrapping why didnt he just take my offer to send him more pics of the wrapping before I shipped it out and before the money was cleared.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

THANK YOU very much, that's exactly what I'm saying. I've never done a refund, in this case who should be responsible for shipping charges? Him right?

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

I got both the Bose Quite Comfort 35 and The bose 25, he bought the 25 , I got them both from the same place and neither are counterfeit. 

Looks like that's the only way to go about it. If anyone in this discussion can point me to a discussion on how to do that I'd apprecaite it, because I've never had to refund somebody before.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@wazwa.wazwa wrote:

I got both the Bose Quite Comfort 35 and The bose 25, he bought the 25 , I got them both from the same place and neither are counterfeit. 

Looks like that's the only way to go about it. If anyone in this discussion can point me to a discussion on how to do that I'd apprecaite it, because I've never had to refund somebody before.

The seller will send you a request for refund, it will show up in your dashboard in the same place where your sales show up.  All you have to do is click on it, there will be several options, whether he returned as a SNAD or other reason, just ACCEPT the return.  If he files a SNAD then you will pay for the return shipping, once you complete the acceptance of the return you will just wait for it to come back to you.  Once it does, you will refund him.  Again, its easy because you will just go back to that same return and now you will click refund.  Easy, and done.  You cannot initiate a return, the buyer has to do that.  If he hasnt done it by now and sends you another message stating he wants a return, just politly respond and tell him to initiate the return since you cannot do that, and you will gladly accept the return and refund him as soon as you receive the item back.  ALWAYS remember to be nice, no matter how rude a customer is.  Provide stellar customer service, as soneone else said, he may be baiting you to make a mistake.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

DO NOT REFUND UNTIL YOU GET THE HEADPHONES BACK! Refunds are never issued before the buyer ships the item back to you.  More than likely, he may try to get you to issue a refund before he ships but may never ship and you are out the money and headphones and Ebay will do nothing about it.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@tproffitt wrote:

DO NOT REFUND UNTIL YOU GET THE HEADPHONES BACK! Refunds are never issued before the buyer ships the item back to you.  More than likely, he may try to get you to issue a refund before he ships but may never ship and you are out the money and headphones and Ebay will do nothing about it.

Which ones do you think the OP will get back?

"He sent me 2 pictures yesterday with the same headphones and the same boxes, he was showing me how the one he got (the one he claims is legit) is wrapped properly and how the other one isn't. "

Just a heads up to those that are seeing this now, the buyer said he went to target and compared the same headphones with ones from target, and said mine are legit, he apologized and said he believed they were legit when he saw the wrapping from target looking the same, he even gave me a positive review lol so its a win win.
Message 14 of 15
latest reply

I'm glad it worked out.  Sometimes, this is NOT the best place to sell high risk items.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply