cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer Wants Refund from USPS

Hello everyone.  I haven't been on the Boards for a long time, not selling much and working full time.  I recently sold a video game figure.  Sure maybe a risky category but not too worried.  I'm not a newbie.  The USPS sent the package all the way from Las Vegas to  Maine back to California where the buyer was.  He never asks about the package, the tracking was obvious for 9 long days.  But the day he gets it he writes that his son opened the package and the foot was broken.  Now, it is entirely possible that the package was damaged during its whirlwind US tour.  But the guy says, I talked to the USPS and I know it's insured so how do I get a refund?  I replied, I have to submit the claim, I will refund your money.  I will ask ebay to send you a lable.

3 days laterand no response.  I feel strongly it's a phony claim but now I'm wondering, what if he's waiting for me to send him a lable.  Or don't you think if he wasn't scamming he would have written me back or filed a case?  What should I do?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

label, sorry
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Tell the buyer to open up a case to return the item.

And once he does you will send him a shipping label.

Sounds like the buyer may have opened up too many cases and wants to do this off of ebay's radar.  Do not accomodate him

Do nothing until he opens the case.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@neneland2012

I would not do a thing at this point, insurance is for the seller, as you told them.

They have ebay MBG to cover them.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Why not simply provide the same great customer service you would provide if you had not decided the buyer was not being honest?

It will cost you ten bucks out of your pocket to get the ten dollar item back, and you will have to issue a full refund - and probably get a neg - if you are non-responsive and force the buyer to open a return case, find appropriate packaging, and spend the time to package and mail it back for a refund.

Nothing good can come from waiting, and the buyer has 180 days to file with PayPal.  On such a low-priced item, your best option is to provide normal customer service by issuing the refund and saving yourself time, ten dollars, and most likely a neg.

You can file an insurance claim online.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

This was not a $10  item.  It sold for $25 and was shipped by Priority Mail.  But I sent an email advising him to file a return case if he wants to return it, what I should have made clear in the first message.   It seems like he wanted a free item with a refund from the post office.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@neneland2012 wrote:

This was not a $10  item.  It sold for $25 and was shipped by Priority Mail.  But I sent an email advising him to file a return case if he wants to return it, what I should have made clear in the first message.   It seems like he wanted a free item with a refund from the post office.

If there truly is a problem, your buyer WILL open a case if he wants his money back. It's that simple.  If he's fishing for a partial or a sympathy refund, he'll go away when he finds out he's not getting it.

IMO a legit buyer with a legit problem will open a case, especially when a seller specifically requests them to do so.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

@neneland2012 wrote:

If there truly is a problem, your buyer WILL open a case if he wants his money back. It's that simple.  If he's fishing for a partial or a sympathy refund, he'll go away when he finds out he's not getting it.

IMO a legit buyer with a legit problem will open a case, especially when a seller specifically requests them to do so.

Exactly.

Again this sounds like a buyer who has already opened up too many cases and needs to do it off of ebay's radar.

IMO returns should be done by the book, otherwise what would stop a scammer from getting his money back and then opening up an official return to get a second refund.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Thank you!  I did send the 2nd email and he finally wrote back thanking me and yes, please send him a label.  And then agreed the long journey probably broke it.  So now we'll see....no case filed yet.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

He needs to open up a case first before you send him that label.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@*eponymous* wrote:

Why not simply provide the same great customer service you would provide if you had not decided the buyer was not being honest?

It will cost you ten bucks out of your pocket to get the ten dollar item back, and you will have to issue a full refund - and probably get a neg - if you are non-responsive and force the buyer to open a return case, find appropriate packaging, and spend the time to package and mail it back for a refund.

Nothing good can come from waiting, and the buyer has 180 days to file with PayPal.  On such a low-priced item, your best option is to provide normal customer service by issuing the refund and saving yourself time, ten dollars, and most likely a neg.

You can file an insurance claim online.

If the buyer is on the up and up, they should have no problem cooperating with the seller.

I'm not a lawyer, I don't even play one on TV

Blink Blink
Message 11 of 11
latest reply