cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer Trying To Scam Me Out Of A Masterpiece Optimus Prime. Claims I Sent Wrong Item!

Hello everyone. I have recently sold a Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime figure on Ebay for $239.99 to some buyer who clearly is trying to scam me and play games. I had a bad feeling that something was up after he kept messaging me asking me if I was trying to take his money despite the fact I had already provided a tracking number and sadly, this was the case. Now he is trying to claim that I actually sent him a Fortress Maximus figure instead, (the guy sends me a pic of the box, but ofcourse, not the contents) and has opened case against me and wants me to return the item. In addition to the fact that I am going to lose out on the priority shipping that I had paid to send this, there is nothing stoping this creep from switching out what I had really sent him and replacing it with something else! I'm at a loss towards what I can do, and this buyer is harrassing me and constantly sending me messages! I would appreciate any help! 

Message 1 of 154
latest reply
153 REPLIES 153

Buyer Trying To Scam Me Out Of A Masterpiece Optimus Prime. Claims I Sent Wrong Item!

Has your buyer filed a "return request" for SNAD (not as described) though ebay yet or just spouting off via messages? 

Message 2 of 154
latest reply

He has already sent me a "Return Request" in addition to harrasing me:

"iluvtapatio let us know that something is wrong with Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime Toys R Us MP-10 Hasbro New. As a result, they requested to return the item for a refund.

See Return Request and be sure to reply to the buyer by May 14, 2018. Note that if you accept a return, you'll be charged for return shipping. Starting on that day, the buyer could ask us to step in and help by opening a case - this can affect your seller level.

The funds for this transaction will be unavailable until this return has been closed. You can also use these funds to issue a refund. You must issue a refund within 6 days of the item being delivered.

You can ask us to step in and help if there's a problem with the buyer's request. "

This seller clearly had this scam planned from the start. I sent him the Msterpiece Optimus Prime figure in a Fortress Maximus box because it was the only box big enough to fit it, and this guy is now trying to pretend I sent him a Fortess Maximus figure instead of the Prime figure. I'm so disgusted right now, and I have no idea how to proceed with this! 

Message 3 of 154
latest reply

@retrose1can give you good advice..just wait for the info on what you can do..it's going to require some work but maybe if this buyer knows you ain't bending over, he might back out..

What does his feedback look like? Any soft positives from other sellers?

OP..I am really sorry this happened to you..my son is a hardcore collector and has never, ever done any seller wrong..I taught him well..

Message 4 of 154
latest reply

I have no idea how to proceed with this! 

Truly as far as ebay is concerned you don't have any real options.  You accept the return, have ebay send a shipping label, and wait around for your "proverbial brick" to arrive in the mail.  

Your other choice is to "ask ebay to help" and they will throw you under the bus, likely refund the buyer from your proceeds and let him keep the item in question.  In addition you get a nasty defect on your account for not paying off the presumed criminal on your own. 

eBay is not going to help you.  When you get back the "brick" (aka faulty return) you paid for you can only file with the Postal Inspectors, buyer's local law enforcement, and other applicable online agencies. 

Message 5 of 154
latest reply

You need to tell your buyer: Return for Refund.

I looked at the listing and it clearly shows this: This is the American, Toys R Us version of the Takara MP-10 mold. It is brand new and never removed from its original packaging, as shown in the included pictures.

If I was your buyer, I'd be asking for a full refund too.

Why on Earth would you ever think switching the box is ok?

Message 6 of 154
latest reply

Is it possible he never even opened the Fortress Maximus Box?

Message 7 of 154
latest reply

@a*river*runs*through*it wrote:

I looked at the listing and it clearly shows this: This is the American, Toys R Us version of the Takara MP-10 mold. It is brand new and never removed from its original packaging, as shown in the included pictures.

Perhaps I didn't explain myself properly. The Masterpiece Prime is INSIDE the Fortess Maximus box! The Masterpiece Prime box itself is fully intact and sealed. The Fortress Maximus Box was only used to ship the item in. Do you understand now? 

Message 8 of 154
latest reply

The buyer probably got his mail, saw the box, freaked out, and ran to his computer to open a return case.  Write him a nice note and tell him to open the darn box!  He's likely a collector and doesn't dream of opening NIB stuff.

Message 9 of 154
latest reply

@ramsey_james wrote:

Perhaps I didn't explain myself properly. The Masterpiece Prime is INSIDE the Fortess Maximus box! The Masterpiece Prime box itself is fully intact and sealed. The Fortress Maximus Box was only used to ship the item in. Do you understand now? 

Then you need to email your buyer and tell him that.

Message 10 of 154
latest reply

@d.clawed wrote:

The buyer probably got his mail, saw the box, freaked out, and ran to his computer to open a return case.  Write him a nice note and tell him to open the darn box!  He's likely a collector and doesn't dresm of opening NIB stuff.

No, he is not. He was acting eratic and accusing me of trying to steal his money before the item even arrived, (despite providing the creep with a tracking number). I already told him to open the box and said it's inside, and he then asks me this;  "U trying 2 b funny? Cause it wasnt".  

Message 11 of 154
latest reply

@ramsey_james wrote:

Then you need to email your buyer and tell him that.

I did. He is purposely playing dumb and pretending that I didn't send him the Prime figure. When I told him to that it was inside the Fortress Maximus box, this is what he tells me; "U trying 2 b funny? Cause it wasnt". So yes, he is purposely playing dumb.  

Message 12 of 154
latest reply

Your only action at this point is to get that piece back from him - perhaps he did not yet open it - remember to instruct him to use the original packaging to send it back - and YES, it bites - but you will be paying for the label back - maybe you'll get the piece back and no damage - if it is different - then, you can proceed with involving the postal inspector and the local police in his zip code area for theft.  If it is the same piece but missing pieces, or a completely different figure- after it is returned - you can report the buyer to Ebay (although it will not do you any good now - future sellers will benefit) and BLOCK this BUYER from buying any more from you!

Message 13 of 154
latest reply

Tell the customer to send it back, and get insurance on the package. Also state that you will have this package go through a customized delivery preferance to where it's sent to your local post office for pick up. It can be done on the USPS website. Also state that you are going to open it there at the counter in front of a USPS emplyee to ensure it has not arrived broken for insurance purposes. If he intends on scamming you, he might think twice because of the fear of getting busted for insurance fraud. Sending a different item back that's less than the insured cost is against the rules. It's one idea and it might not work, but if it where me I would try to use the fear of getting busted against them only if they have intent on scamming you. Good luck.

Message 14 of 154
latest reply

The problem is you gave this scammer extra leverage with the other box, that's not to say he wouldn't have pulled another scam if not for this box but this box made his job easier especially if he already owned said fortress maximus figure.

Message 15 of 154
latest reply