cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer Doesn't Accept Second Chance Offers?

Had a bidder flake out on an auction so tried to send a Second Chance Offer to the back-up bidder.

Got an error message saying:  "Buyer Doesn't Accept Second Chance Offers."   (Huh?)   Anyone else ever gotten this kind of message or are aware that there is such a setting?  It's news to me...

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Buyer has chosen to opt out from receiving numerous emails from ebay.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

@livadia wrote:

Had a bidder flake out on an auction so tried to send a Second Chance Offer to the back-up bidder.

Got an error message saying:  "Buyer Doesn't Accept Second Chance Offers."   (Huh?)   Anyone else ever gotten this kind of message or are aware that there is such a setting?  It's news to me...

I did not know about this either.   Learn something new everyday. You can read more here:

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/bidding/responding-second-chance-offers?id=4017&st=2&pos=2&query=Re...

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I opted out of second chance offers ages ago. It's under Communication Preferences.

sco.jpg

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@mcdougle4248 wrote:

@livadia wrote:

I did not know about this either.   Learn something new everyday. You can read more here:

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/bidding/responding-second-chance-offers?id=4017&st=2&pos=2&query=Re...

That makes two of us @mcdougle4248!  Thanks for the info.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I opted out too. The kind of thing I buy the seller doesn’t have multiples. Some think SCOs are a sign of a shilling seller.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Thanks @Anonymous.  Of all the garbage emails eBay sends about the only one/s I'd care to know about would be those that would let me know an item I was outbid on might be available.  Care to share your reason/s why you chose to opt out?

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I used to get a lot of SCOs after I had already moved on and purchased from another seller and it became a nuisance to get all those messages. eBay sends enough messages!

If I'm really interested and sorry I lost an auction I will message the seller and tell them to send me an eBay message with the new listing number if the sale falls through and I will bid on an auction or would be willing to BIN at X price.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I turned mine off a long time ago.

If I've lost an auction, I've moved on by the time the UPI or Cancel closes.

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@mcdougle4248 wrote:

@livadia wrote:

Count me in~I never heard of it, either.  But I wouldn't turn it off.  I've received very few second chance offers that were not solicited through the years and I doubt I ever accepted one. BUT if I miss out on something, I might message the seller and ask them to let me know if the winning bidder doesn't pay as I am still interested, and that has resulted in a second chance offer being sent to me, which I then accept and pay for, although sometimes the seller simply re-lists. 

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@livadia wrote:

Must be a setting they can turn on and off.

I don't do SCO (as a seller), because I don't want to be accused of rigging an auction to expose the second bidder's maximum bid.

True stories...

Had an expensive piece of computer equipment I foolishly put up at auction. It's industrial, not the kind of thing people steal. Most people don't even know what it is (Xilinx Kintek 7). On the last day, a zero FB bidder who was fairly new, bid it from $520 to $680, then called eBay to complain he bid too much and I got a notification from eBay that he wanted to cancel. I realized that by cancelling I now know the second bidder's maximum, and if a third bidder comes along, the price might be bid up and it looks rigged. I did cancel the bid, and I ended the auction to the second highest bidder at $520 (the current bid before Mr zero showed up to bid it up). No problems with the transaction. I decided before ending it that I felt this would be a good customer for this equipment.

As a buyer... I bid $1 on a Pyrex bowl from the 1970s. Mine broke in the dishwasher and my parents had these when I was little, so I wanted to replace it as the small size was common. My max bid was $10, and just before the auction ended, my bid went from $1 to their high bid of $10.50. Less than an hour after the auction ended I got a SCO. I realized the auction was rigged to extract my maximum bid on an item that wasn't getting enough attention. I didn't respond to the SCO and bought the bowl from another seller at fixed price for $12. (Yes I paid more, but it was an honest payment).

Cheers, C.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply