cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bogus view counts?

Anyone else getting bogus view counts?  I know mine are bogus.  As in 6 views within 10 seconds on items that shouldn't get 6 views in a month.  Almost every listing I post is this way.  Ebay shenanigans?

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Bogus view counts?

I've sold items that supposedly had zero views. I've listed items that would immediately show double digit views.

The view counter, in my opinion, is and has never been correct. I ignore it completely.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Bogus view counts?

I believe the view counts are carrying over from the item's previous listing.  I don't like it.  I want to know the number of views each time it is listed.  

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Bogus view counts?

Definitely a glitch of some kind.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Bogus view counts?

Yeah....I don't ignore it completely.  I've just learned to not put too much hope in it.  Same with watchers.   I think sometimes the watchers are other sellers interested in tracking the sale so they can list one like it.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Bogus view counts?

You are correct.  They are carried over.  I think there is a reason, but I'm unsure what that reason is.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Bogus view counts?

The bots are hatching there young early this year. Now all the baby bots are running amok and viewing everything. Millions of bots gone wonky!

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Bogus view counts?

@jayhawk_antiques wrote:

Anyone else getting bogus view counts?  I know mine are bogus.  As in 6 views within 10 seconds on items that shouldn't get 6 views in a month.  Almost every listing I post is this way.  Ebay shenanigans?

Yep same here.  Brand new listing. Hit submit and checked to see it went through. Had 5 watchers in less than a minute. 

Been happening to to me for a long time.

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Bogus view counts?

@jayhawk_antiques wrote:

YES I have noticed the bogus view counts on everything I renewed recently.

eBay shenanigans or bug I do not know sorry.

Good luck to ALL the small sellers out there!
Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Bogus view counts?

I think they are carried over so the search engine KNOWS they have been seen before.  Preference is given to new (from scratch) listings.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Bogus view counts?

@tamaralea wrote:

I think they are carried over so the search engine KNOWS they have been seen before.  Preference is given to new (from scratch) listings.

This happens to me on brand new listings as well, not just relists.

The view counter has always been wrong. I don't think it's been correct in the 16 years I've been selling here.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Bogus view counts?

It all averages out in the end.

You have a listing with 10 hits in the first 10 minutes and you have a listing that's been up for 31 days and has 1 or 2 views in that time period.

Many of my listings would get 1 view shortly after I list them, I always assumed that was ebay bots checking for duplication.

Who knows? Not us and probably nobody at ebay.
Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Bogus view counts?

Listed a bunch of new items the past two days.  One had 13 views in about 2 minutes.  Many showed 4 right off the bat.  One showed none for 24 hours.  

Definitely something screwy.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Bogus view counts?

No. This is not carryover. These are new listings. Not GTC or Relists. Just bogus counts. I actually rely on accurate view counts.
Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Bogus view counts?

@jayhawk_antiques wrote:

I see a lot of Sellers reporting this.  Might be that "feel good" moment eBay wants you to have when you list ..... to replace the "feel good" moment you should be getting when you sell (since your listing may be hard to find, may not get many views, and may not sell).

Message 15 of 18
latest reply