cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bidder Bids WAY Too High For iPhone I Listed

Why is my iPhone 11 Pro Max going for $2000+? This has to be a scam as you can get one brand new from Apple for $1200 or so. What do I do? Auction ends less than a week.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Why is my iPhone 11 Pro Max going for $2000+

Likely some crooks bidding against each other for the "opportunity" to scam you.  

Beware of your ebay messages as well. If you get one that wants you to "text them" it is also a scam.  Same when the listing ends.  You are likely to get a few "please ship to this address" messages through ebay from people that are not even your buyer.  

Good luck with your sale. 

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

You can cancel any bids you like, without explanation.

And Block Bidders you do not feel comfortable with.

Since iPhones have a stable market price, you would be best to not to auction yours, even though eBay defaults newbies and occasional sellers into supporting the dying auction format.

Cancel ALL the bids.

End the auction.

Relist immediately as Fixed Price/Immediate Payment Required.

Your listing will stay open until someone actually pays.

And don't sell internationally, even with the Global Shipping Program. I hate to say this since I am in Canada, and maybe you could give Canada permission to bid,  but electronics sold internationally are fraught.

If you really don't want to end the auction, cancel and Block all the very low FB bidders.

Read the feedback for all the others. Especially the FB Left for Others.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

I have a feeling whoever the high bidder is, they will end up not paying for your item. You will have wait it out and see. Good luck.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Since iPhones have a stable market price, you would be best to not to auction yours, even though eBay defaults newbies and occasional sellers into supporting the dying auction format.

The auction format isn't "dying;" it's just wildly inappropriate for some items, especially new or newly-new high-value items with a known approximate price range. Set the price at whatever it is you want to get for the phone, do not add the Make Offer button, and be sure that the Immediate Payment Required option has been checked when uploading the listing form.

@reallynicestamps wrote:

If you really don't want to end the auction, cancel and Block all the very low FB bidders.

Really, that auction needs to end, and be replaced with a BuyItNow/Immediate Payment Required listing. There's no way to screen snipers in the final seconds, and the smartphone category is so swamped with scammers that you should be listing there only under best practices. BIN/IPR will get past the fake-payment scams, and then the seller only has to worry about shipment address change scams, fake damage scams and empty-box scams.

I would suggest selling it as Local Pickup Only and specifying cash. Realistically, no one halfway across the country or halfway around the world has a pressing need for your specific phone.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

@reallynicestamps wrote:

The auction format isn't "dying;" it's just wildly inappropriate for some items, especially new or newly-new high-value items with a known approximate price range. Set the price at whatever it is you want to get for the phone, do not add the Make Offer button, and be sure that the Immediate Payment Required option has been checked when uploading the listing form.

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Really, that auction needs to end, and be replaced with a BuyItNow/Immediate Payment Required listing. There's no way to screen snipers in the final seconds, and the smartphone category is so swamped with scammers that you should be listing there only under best practices. BIN/IPR will get past the fake-payment scams, and then the seller only has to worry about shipment address change scams, fake damage scams and empty-box scams.

I would suggest selling it as Local Pickup Only and specifying cash. Realistically, no one halfway across the country or halfway around the world has a pressing need for your specific phone.

But wait, if I end it then don't I have to pay the FVF?

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

CANCEL!!

Had a friend it happened to. 

They will take your phone and your money!!!!!

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

Give us an update please when you cancel---they will probably complain to someone on ebay

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

If I cancel won't I be penalized?

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

@besel-54 wrote:

If I cancel won't I be penalized?

@besel-54 Might be a good idea to contact customer support and have them look into it and report the bidders.  If you can get eBay on the phone ask for "trust and safety". Definitely a scam. I don't think there are any penalties for canceling all the bids FIRST then the auction, but I am not 100% sure on that. Since you don't appear to be selling to make a living on eBay if there are consequences better off burning the account than losing a $1200 phone.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

Looking at the bidding history for your item the current highest bidder is certainly keen. I notice the buyer is "allegedly" relatively new to eBay. In your case you can end your auction early however you will need to cancel all active bids before you can end the listing and a fee is charged for this. You cannot end an auction early if "There are fewer than 12 hours left in the listing, you’ve received bids, and you don’t want to sell it to the highest bidder."  If your listing isn't eligible to be ended early, you can contact any bidders to explain the situation and ask them to retract their bids. If the auction has finished, you can contact the winner and, if they agree, you can cancel the transaction. In this case you will probably be eligible for final value fee credit but you AND the buyer have to agree to cancel the transaction or the buyer does not pay and you report it as an unpaid item.  You have probably read the following articles however for completeness;

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/cancelling-listing?id=4146

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/cancelling-transaction?id=4136

Unfortunately I do not think these "buyers" will oblige (in my opinion).

I think this is scammers involved as the 2 bidders pushing the price up are essentially new accounts. If the listing ends and they do not pay open an Unpaid Item Case within 48 hours and if you then close the case after 4 days you will get a final value fee credit. You may be also eligible for insertion fee credit for relisting the item. 

For these high value items do a Fixed Price listing and state what you want for the item. Also select require immediate payment so the first person who selects Buy It Now and completes the PayPal transaction gets the item.

Ignore any communications from these bidders asking for information or requesting completing transaction outside eBay. Sorry you have to endure these time wasters. Best of luck

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

Best response yet. Thanks to everyone! I'll update as I go along.
Message 12 of 21
latest reply

@sophia_olivia wrote:

CANCEL!!

No, the seller is not going to lose $1200 phone PLUS $2000 cash...

The $2000 belongs to the bidder(s).

When the buyer pays the money exchanges hands for the phone which also gets exchanged.

It is an even trade, money for item.

When the buyer(s) perpetrate their scam they will get THEIR money back.

And the seller no longer has HIS phone.

They will only take the phone, the money does not belong to the seller.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

@vkjfau-0 wrote:

@sophia_olivia wrote:

CANCEL!!

When the buyer pays the money exchanges hands for the phone which also gets exchanged.

I just have a couple of questions. 

Does the seller have the phone? Yes/No

Does the seller have the money? Yes/No

Or we could look at it the other way.

Does the scammer have the money? Yes/No 

Does the scammer have the phone? Yes/No

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

@itsjustasprain wrote:

@vkjfau-0 wrote:

@sophia_olivia wrote:

CANCEL!!

I just have a couple of questions. 

Does the seller have the phone? Yes/No

Does the seller have the money? Yes/No

Or we could look at it the other way.

Does the scammer have the money? Yes/No 

Does the scammer have the phone? Yes/No

I am done, you believe what you want.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply