cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware of gift card fraud/ "Fake" buyer will contact you

I know that you're only allowed to sell physical gift cards instead of digital ones for safety reasons. Anyway, I've been selling a bunch of physical gift cards. There's a user (and where there's one there's probably more) who is keeping tabs on who just sold a gift card. He contacts you shortly after the card was sold claiming to be the person who just paid for the card and asks you to send him the code. 

So make sure to check the Ebay name of the message sender to be sure they are the one who actually bought the item. To make sure you are communicating with actual buyers. Report fake messages to Ebay.

I can also stress not to send codes via email. There may be honest people out there. But you may also be sorry. 

The person who tried this with me not once, but twice used this Ebay user name and the account seems to still be active even though I reported both incidents back to Ebay and forwarded the scam messages.  

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I actually looked through my messages again and realized that the person used different accounts for their scam. 

Okay, I'm obviously pretty clueless, so stupid question, can anyone set up multiple fake eBAY accounts and then not even be deleted instantly when scam / fraud is reported? I don't get it.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

There isn't a  "Köln, United states"

One of your Apple card location was listed as "Item location: Köln, Germany" and the other was listed as  Köln, United states and you are listed as being in Germany.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

It's nice that you want to warn others, but you can't post user names, e-mails or other personal information about buyers and sellers. The discussion board has a no naming and shaming rule.

Gift cards are a vulnerable category in general - even when you ship physical cards.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

one of the best ways to protect yourself with gift cards is to sell them one at a time at various times. That way you have many buyers.

If one rips you off, you have limited your exposure.

NEVER send the codes.

Make sure to record the card numbers before you send them. 

I had one guy receive the card and immediately contact ebay to say there was no money on the card. I went to the website and was able to redeem that code before he used it. I refunded him and wasn't out anything. Wish I could have been there when he finally went to spend the money......

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Also be aware that USPS will not pay out an insurance claim for a gift card.

Another good reason to record the numbers. If it gets lost in the mail you don't lose.

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 6 of 6
latest reply