cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware of Scammers

I recently had an iphone xs max 512gb (att) (bad imei) for sale on ebay.  An ebay user purchased it for $800.  I googled both addresses that was their address for the phone to be sent to.  I researched them and people have complained that these are scammers who have hijacked someones ebay account or made an ebay account and get you to ship your product there and they or the original owner of the account opens a dispute of an unauthorized transaction or bank chargeback, so you will lose your money and the phone.

I didn't put the name of the Ebay user because i wasn't sure if it was against Ebay policies to mention their name on the Ebay forums. but if you google both addresses, there are several complaints of those addresses being fraud related. I called Ebay to inform this after the phones were purchased. They told me they would forward this information to their security department. I don't see why they don't blacklist those addresses since sellers on Ebay have been scammed before by sending their item to those addresses and in the end losing the item and the money received because it gets return to the original payment method. I just wanted to inform the Ebay community. I think these people hijack ebay accounts, or make them. First looking at them, with a lot of feed back and having been an established Ebay user for many years, you would think it was a legit transaction. Hopefully I didn't get scam, but probably did. Ebay community, please be aware and show due diligence and Pre-caution when selling to a buyer even if they have a lot of feedback.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Beware of Scammers

Those are reshipper addresses, used by overseas buyers. Googling a buyer's Ship-To: address will cause needless anxiety, as reshippers in particular have hundreds if not thousands of customers making their purchases through that address, so obviously there will be some scammers in there as well.

In the event of a chargeback or Unauthorized Use complaint, you need only prove that you shipped to the address received with the payment. 

For an Item Not Received dispute, your tracking number must show  a Delivered status to the buyer's City and ZIP code. Always log into PayPal yourself to verify that you have been paid. Because your sale was over $750, you must ship with Signature Confirmation in order to maintain seller protection against an INR dispute.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Beware of Scammers

Those addresses are freight forwarding facilities.  International buyers employ these services so they have a US based address so they can purchase from sellers who do not wish to sell internationally.  eBay doesn't block these addresses because legitimate international buyer purchase using these services.

PayPal will protect you from an unauthorized charge provided you ship to the address on file... which in your case is the freight forwarding facility.

Buyers on eBay lose their MBG the moment the item is forwarded.  PayPal has no such provision however on PayPal as I mentioned you are protected from unauthorized charge claims.  If an international buyer purchases and claims INAD on PayPal, they have to flip the bill WITH TRACKING to return the item.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Beware of Scammers

Freight forwarding is so well accepted that eBay even has its own freight forwarding program-- the Global Shipping Program which (unlike the addresses you give) is contracted by the seller.

The GSP has its drawbacks (and there is a 5000+ post thread on eBay Canada complaining about every one of them) but it is a good Seller Protection program.

The seller only has to show delivery to the forwarder's address to win an Item Not Received dispute.

The buyer who uses a freight forwarder gives up his right to the eBay Money Back Guarantee.

If the overseas buyer who used a freight forwarder claims Not As Described through Paypal, he has to pay for return shipping with tracking. Only when he can prove Delivery (not shipping, delivery) will PP refund him. (And if that does happen, the seller has his item back for resale, if the claim was bogus.)

More important- what is the feedback for the buyer? what is his FB Left for Others like? Is there a long gap between the last FB on the account and today? Were previous purchases on the account similar to your product?

Those are signs of scammers and/or hijacked accounts.

If you want to Block overseas bidders, you can Block bidders with non-US Paypal accounts. Some sellers do this, not because they mistrust foreign buyers, but because Paypal charges a 4.4% fee rather than a 2.7% fee for non-US accounts.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Beware of Scammers

back in november 2018 i was scammed out of 3 iphones xs 256gb. the buyers got to keep the phone and they got their money back.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Beware of Scammers

@riteway2014 wrote:

I recently had an iphone xs max 512gb (att) (bad imei) for sale on ebay.  An ebay user purchased it for $800. 

Your listing is bizarre. You somehow got hold of a phone that you say is blacklisted on every US network so it cannot be used anywhere in the US - how did you do THAT? - but then say that you will not ship international. So of course you are going to get a buyer using a reshipper because you have pretty much ruled out every possible buyer otherwise.

As for whatever happened to you in Nov of last year you are not giving us enough detail to help on what went wrong back then. I can say at least that when you are a seller with not a lot of feedback and you are selling things like smart phones and athletic shoes like you are then you are going to attract scammers from all over. Even if they receive your item they can still claim that the box was empty or its fake or they just return something else. If you cant take an $800 hit then you are taking on a big risk by selling those here.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply