cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better use of AI assistant filling in items specifics and not item description

Why Ebay wasting investor's money and seller's fee on mindless projects could be answered here with a long post but now since the (not so) latest idea using AI is a fail so far. Nobody reads the AI generated descriptions. I don't. I don't know anybody who does want to read AI generated description for something they are going to search and buy of ebay. Why even wasting time? Even Google search hates this by now.

If Ebay so annoyingly pushes me to fill in the mindless and meanderingly long list of recommended item specifics and spend an hour of my day to fill in all the specifics for a few second hand items I sell, why not finally do something useful for sellers and use your accumulated programmers' brain matter to do something useful and fill in the item specifics that many sellers would not hesitate to swear like mad when having to fill them in on import.

That would actually finally something useful!!

My item title (and item description) include all details that would be more than sufficient to generate the Item Specifics ebay asking for. Yes because I know you want item specifics so I include them in Item Title because that is what you pushing and I guess that's what Google wants. 

But then you reject those and can't even fill in Model or Type when both is already filled in.

The generic AI generated descriptions are pretty much useless by now.   And they are not specific enough to each me something I don't know already by typing in google.

You asked me for feedback to the CSV import tool for sellers. Well here it is. It's still too bad to even lose nerves about it.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Sorry. Wanted to add. This 2 minutes limit for editing is madness too. 

And yees, I know there are a few custom fields like c:Color, c:Material, but these are limited, not all fields are available to import through CSV, so you end up manually editing that stuff upon import. Incredible waste of time filling in the item specifics if I can't import them by CSV and not so much useful AI at this point doesn't help either. 

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Theyhave to be checked for errors. I just read one from a seller on here and I know it was AI generated. They have a certain format easily recognizable. It picked up the wrong color for the product on their listing.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Oh if AI could just bring more customers to the website we would all be just peachy keen.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I have color mentioned in the Title, and Style, and Type, and Model, and MPN, and I have UPC filled in the field, ... What else is needed. There is no guess work. We are not talking here trying to understand what is it I am typing in, and then search for matching product in the guts of AI and then coming up with suggestions. That information for the custom fields is all in my Title of the item. So all is necessary is to suck up the Title and take the bits and peaces and fill them in where they belong in the item specifics. 

That would also avoid the painful errors on the form submitting items in bulk edit. Something went wrong. Try again. That's Ebay error, not browser issue.

itolduandso_0-1698607644741.png

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

The problem with "AI assistant" is that the information for IS are generated in part from information ebay obtained from other listings and in general, many sellers list with incorrect IS. Not totally sellers fault when in many categories the specifics they want mandatory and the choices that are given never match product in question. That goes back to the old argument that ebay doesn't know items to begin with and shouldn't be encouraging mandatory specifics on items with meaningless or N/A choice answers. 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

Theyhave to be checked for errors. I just read one from a seller on here and I know it was AI generated. They have a certain format easily recognizable.

You can say that again. I roll my eyes whenever I come across an AI-generated description. (Free clue: If the description contains the phrase 'must-have' then no human has written it.) I can usually find at least one significant error in the description that the lazy seller has not noticed and corrected.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

If you gave me a choice between having a lobotomy or using eBay's AI description generator I'd choose the lobotomy hands down...and still be able to write more relevant descriptions for my items that the AI can.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply