cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being punished for following eBay's procedure.

Accepted an offer on an item, buyer never paid so I did as eBay suggests opened the non-payment case then the "buyer" mysteriously pays I ship the item out now they mysteriously have a problem with the item, why must I be punished for following proper protocol? It's clear many buyers get angry when you open a case on them and if the item is cheap enough they will go ahead and pay to dodge a well deserved non-payment strike and to punish the seller for merey following protocol.

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

What is the buyer's problem with the item? 

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

@lex-talonwrote:

What is the buyer's problem with the item? 

Claimed there was a stain, I checked the item throughly before shipping and there was no stain, I suspect they just didn't want the item and just paid to punish me and cost me on return shipping and avoid a non payment strike, I asked them if they wanted to cancel and they never responded so I pretty much had run out of options at that point and now I'm being punished for following proper procedure.

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

@rolenboy01wrote:

Accepted an offer on an item, buyer never paid so I did as eBay suggests opened the non-payment case then the "buyer" mysteriously pays I ship the item out now they mysteriously have a problem with the item, why must I be punished for following proper protocol? It's clear many buyers get angry when you open a case on them and if the item is cheap enough they will go ahead and pay to dodge a well deserved non-payment strike and to punish the seller for merey following protocol.

First, there is nothing "mysterious" about a buyer paying late.

Second, opening a case is not the only thing eBay suggests as "protocol". They also suggest that you do two other things before you open a case - getting in touch with the buyer, and then sending a reminder invoice.

Third, "protocol" does not say you should open a case right away. They say that you can open a case after two days, but that you have 32 days to do so. 

Did you contact your buyer first?

How long did you wait before filing the case?

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

Buyers can open a case to get some kind of revenge on a seller, yes. But sellers can also (even the best ones) miss seeing a problem with a garment.

If the buyer has opened a Return Request - Item not as described, just treat it the same as you would any similar case.   Don't try to link it to the original Unpaid Item case. There's no percentage in that.

You can put the buyer on your Blocked bidder List, if you want, but with this particular problem - just handle it.

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 5 of 27
latest reply

@luckythewinnerwrote:

@rolenboy01wrote:

First, there is nothing "mysterious" about a buyer paying late.

Second, opening a case is not the only thing eBay suggests as "protocol". They also suggest that you do two other things before you open a case - getting in touch with the buyer, and then sending a reminder invoice.

Third, "protocol" does not say you should open a case right away. They say that you can open a case after two days, but that you have 32 days to do so. 

Did you contact your buyer first?

How long did you wait before filing the case?

I always contact buyers who don't pay in a timely fashion and this one didn't respond, the case was opened after 7 days I consider that ample time.

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

@city*satinswrote:

Buyers can open a case to get some kind of revenge on a seller, yes. But sellers can also (even the best ones) miss seeing a problem with a garment.

If the buyer has opened a Return Request - Item not as described, just treat it the same as you would any similar case.   Don't try to link it to the original Unpaid Item case. There's no percentage in that.

You can put the buyer on your Blocked bidder List, if you want, but with this particular problem - just handle it.

I didn't miss anything there was no stain period.

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

You might be a bit overconfident about your clothing evaluation skills.  I don't know any clothing sellers who haven't missed something at least once.  I know that I have, and I try to look at everything, turn the garment inside out and take outside to reinspect it in natural light. And have still missed something.  It happens despite our best efforts.

Case in point - I question your assertion that that Duluth Trading Co shirt you just sold was really never worn.   It shows signs of the hem turning over in places.  That doesn't happen until the garment is washed.  The nearest brick and mortar store to your location is in Co. so it's likely that those shirts were originally purchased online, in which case they come folded and bagged. And with the hems perfectly flat.   Just saying.

JMHO. You really might have missed something.

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

@city*satinswrote:

You might be a bit overconfident about your clothing evaluation skills.  I don't know any clothing sellers who haven't missed something at least once.  I know that I have, and I try to look at everything, turn the garment inside out and take outside to reinspect it in natural light. And have still missed something.  It happens despite our best efforts.

Case in point - I question your assertion that that Duluth Trading Co shirt you just sold was really never worn.   It shows signs of the hem turning over in places.  That doesn't happen until the garment is washed.  The nearest brick and mortar store to your location is in Co. so it's likely that those shirts were originally purchased online, in which case they come folded and bagged. And with the hems perfectly flat.   Just saying.

JMHO. You really might have missed something.

Like I said the buyer is a liar who never wanted the item and just paid to punish me with a return shipping cost eBay should be paying that out of their pocket for their failure.

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

Like I said the buyer is a liar who never wanted the item and just paid to punish me with a return shipping cost eBay should be paying that out of their pocket for their failure.

What failure?

If a seller wants to get a refund of his final fees on an unpaid item, he has to start the Unpaid item procedure.  eBay doesn't know with 100% certainty that the item is truly unpaid for unless the seller tells them.  If the seller wants to forego getting the FVF refund, he's always free not not open a case.

What procedure would you recommend to replace the current one?  Do you think that if a buyer didn't pay until a case was opened, that he should never be allowed to complain about the item he did receive?  It's automatically to be judged exactly as described?  I don't think that will fly.

So.....what would you propose?

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

@city*satinswrote:

What failure?

If a seller wants to get a refund of his final fees on an unpaid item, he has to start the Unpaid item procedure.  eBay doesn't know with 100% certainty that the item is truly unpaid for unless the seller tells them.  If the seller wants to forego getting the FVF refund, he's always free not not open a case.

What procedure would you recommend to replace the current one?  Do you think that if a buyer didn't pay until a case was opened, that he should never be allowed to complain about the item he did receive?  It's automatically to be judged exactly as described?  I don't think that will fly.

So.....what would you propose?

I propose they pay the return shipping for allowing this liar to slip on by without the non-payment strike he deserved.

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

I propose they pay the return shipping for allowing this liar to slip on by without the non-payment strike he deserved.

Why would a buyer deserve an unpaid item strike if he paid for the item?

Why should a buyer automatically be assumed to be a liar?

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

Please lock this topic my rant is over.

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

You can request that a thread be locked by clicking on OPTIONS on your original post and selecting REPORT INAPPROPRIATE CONTENT (not that your thread was inappropriate in any way - this is just the procedure)  and requesting that the thread be locked.  They're usually pretty good at doing it in a fairly timely way.

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

I don't recall ever seeing this suggestion from eBay, but that is indeed what I do anyhow.

Because I wait a minimum of 11 days, and because of situations like this one, anyone I have to actually open the UID against goes on the BBL immediately - right before I do that. 

What procedure would you recommend to replace the current one?

Since I've sent a couple of invoices, and a reminder, and waited over a week, I'd recommend an immediate unconditional cancellation of the transaction, a block on feedback, and an immediate refund of all fees? 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 15 of 27
latest reply