cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEWARE! Scammer buyer targeting luxury sellers

A fraudulent buyer/buyers are targeting Chanel and Hermès sellers on eBay. This has been going on for a few months and many sellers have been targeted. The buyer, usually using a guest account on eBay (0 feedback), purchases an item and makes payment via Paypal an chooses overnight shipping. They contact the seller with a message such as:

"Just confirming that you will be shipping this today via FedEx overnight? My fiancé , xxxxxx is now in med school & as a gift I know She will absolutely love her newest addition to her Hermès collection. Thank you for listing such a beauty! Just for confirmation our address is just as it is on eBay.

I’ll look out for tracking, best xxxxx"

We believe the purchases are made either using a stolen credit card or Paypal account. After seller ships their item, the fraudulent buyer contacts the shipping company to re-route the package to a different address. Once the package is delivered, the fraudulent buyer files an unauthorized transaction chargeback with their credit card or paypal. Their shipping address has so far been variant addresses in New York and New Jersey. Their shipping address are usually apartment buildings BUT they don't provide the unit/apt number. Which we believe it has something to do with re-routing the package/their scam. Names associated with this scam can not be posted here according to ebay (😊 Isn't ebay amazing? Can't post scammers' information, I dont know who does that protect. I almost thought I was at China for a second.  🤣)

Many eBay sellers have confirmed that they have been a victim of this scam. The fraudulent buyers have/attempted to purchase Chanel Flaps, Chanel Boy Bag, Hermes, etc. To protect yourself and the ebay community, please post any experience here if you believe you have been targeted or if you have similar experience with the same scammer group.

Remember don't post names or other private information about the scammer. 😃

Message 1 of 72
latest reply
71 REPLIES 71

The HUGE loophole is that packages can be rerouted by the buyer. "Do Not Forward" written on your packages is the only protection I can think of besides adult signature required or registered mail. 

Message 2 of 72
latest reply

I’ll look out for tracking, best xxxxx"

There is not much new about this unless the "buyers" are actually PAYING.  Most times they don't and just send a phony PayPal email sayiing they did pay.   If you are actually getting funds in PayPal, this makes it more interesting and more of a problem.  

PayPal has no seller protection for re-routed or forwarded items.   Thanks for the heads up!  

Message 3 of 72
latest reply

Thank you for your info. So sorry this is happening to you and others. 

Does USPS allow the buyer to reroute as well?

Message 4 of 72
latest reply

Usps allows the buyer to reroute for about $17. Or my post office counter does (they are terribly ignorant of the published policies and absolutely the worst in so many ways. The phone number to there just rings forever they intentionally have no answering option at all, etc). They could be the exception
Message 5 of 72
latest reply

Mine just rings all day long without an answer also. 

Message 6 of 72
latest reply

if most are on guest accounts you can block guest accounts from purchasing from you if you haven't already done so.

Message 7 of 72
latest reply

I usually use signature confirmation for expensive items. And insurance
Message 8 of 72
latest reply

luxury sellers-lately there is a group of scammers who buy chanel and hermes bags/items(possibly other brands too but so far we know for sure they targeted on Chanel and Hermes) using 0 feedback ebay IDs (ebay guest IDs) with fake recipients' names and they use a different paypal acct every time. please be careful and if anything was purchased by someone with 0 feedback and the recipient's name and paypal acct holder's name don't match, it's very alarming!

they have used all different(NJ or NY) addresses, names and paypal accts. a lot of orders were placed under "Candixxx Aarxx"(sorry ebay does not allow us to spell out the names fully). they would send you a "sweet" note right after they placed the orders saying "will you be shipping it out in the AM via USPS?" or "I'm so happy and this is for my daughter's / fiance's medical school graduation gift and thank you for the beauty". after you ship out the order, they will fill out this USPS intercept/forward form to have USPS to hold the packages at USPS for them to pick up. after they successfully pick up the packages, these people would file a chargeback immediately stating the transactions are unauthorized.

The targeted on chanel bags a few weeks ago and now have switched to Hermes and they may move on to Gucci purses or Cartier watches(etc...) next.

two things to be aware:

1)the reason why they reroute packages is because they used stolen cc/paypal accts and the they do NOT live at those addresses. so they CANNOT wait for the packages in front of other people's houses hence they always need to do some sort of rerouting. they always sign for the packages at USPS and request to reroute the packages from those addresses to the nearest USPS office to pick up. to be safe, ship your items via Fedex.

2) the paypal acct holders' names never match with the recipients' names. each ebay order is placed under a fake name/(recipient's) "candixxx aarxx" but the paypal holder belongs to another person. I firmly believe those paypal acct holders are the identity theft victims.

This is by far the most experienced scammer we have ever seen in the past 10 years and there are not even afraid of getting arrested. even through many of us have reported this to ebay and paypal, these scammers are still on ebay buying luxury items every day.
Message 9 of 72
latest reply

You need to report the buyer.  Just posting here isn't going to do that.

Message 10 of 72
latest reply

Of course we report the buyer. But they are constantly creating new accounts to purchase. So reporting isn't going to help. We are writing here to let more seller know about this.
Message 11 of 72
latest reply

We do try to write down on packages, it helps sometimes, it doesnt sometimes....
Message 12 of 72
latest reply

Yes, ebay and paypal needs to do something about re-routed and forwarded pacakges!!
Message 13 of 72
latest reply

When its USPS, they have the packaged held at a different location and they pick it up from there.
Message 14 of 72
latest reply

Totally agreed!
Message 15 of 72
latest reply