cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awaiting Payment? How??

I had a buyer contact me today with a question about an item, he was asking as if he had purchased it and i couldn't find the sale, then i selected All Order instead of Awaiting Shipment for the sort and there was his order, but it says Awaiting Payment... How is that possible on a Buy It Now sale which requires payment to complete the sale??  I always have it set to require immediate payment, and i double checked those listings just to be sure and they are set to immediate payment, so how is it the buyer made a purchase without paying that it shows up as an order when set this way?

First time i have seen this happen on a buy it now listing  and i'm definitely not a new seller by any means.  So it had the option to send an invoice, so i sent an invoice and told the buyer the info he wanted and informed him that i couldn't ship yet because it says awaiting payment on his order.  He hasn't replied yet but can someone explain how?

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Awaiting Payment? How??

I don't know how that happened.  I have not heard of this before.  I trust you are telling us accurately as to what happened, that isn't what I'm saying.  So I won't be of any help as to why it happened.  But I would add that you should just have responded to their email and not sent an invoice.

Ebay automatically sends the buyer an email when they purchase something and it contains an invoice.  When we / sellers send an invoice, it restarts the 96 hour clock on when we can file a Cancellation for non payment.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Awaiting Payment? How??

Maybe his default payment card expired? If you buy something on eBay, I've noticed the order submits, but the payment shows as pending in your order history for a few minutes. I guess thats when it does the verification. If payment did not go through, eBay will notify him I am sure.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Awaiting Payment? How??

Actually,  Awaiting Payment usually happens when there is a problem processing the payment method that was used to make the purchase. In this case, eBay is waiting for the buyer to either update their payment method or use a different payment method. If this is not done usually within a day, the Awaiting payment notification drops off.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

Awaiting Payment? How??

So, I had this happen the other day,  and I was baffled until I remembered that I had set the listing to automatically accept an offer at a certain amount,  AND I did not require the purchaser to enter the method of payment before making that offer.
Not sure if those conditions exist for you but if so, maybe that is your answer.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Awaiting Payment? How??

@thecrazyham 

Was there a best offer on the item?  If there was you may have it set up to automatically accept the offer and the buyer decided to look elsewhere.  Just taking a shot.  It happened to me a few times and so I decided no more best offers.

Happy Sales

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Awaiting Payment? How??

I looked at a couple of the OP's listings and did not see any OBO listings. Pretty sure it's just a declined card. Ask the buyer to check their Purchase History. 

ETA - I do see one OBO in sold items, but it appears not to have 'Best Offer Accepted'.

So, still thinking declined card.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Awaiting Payment? How??

@naturalhealthstore wrote:

Actually,  Awaiting Payment usually happens when there is a problem processing the payment method that was used to make the purchase. In this case, eBay is waiting for the buyer to either update their payment method or use a different payment method. If this is not done usually within a day, the Awaiting payment notification drops off.

No.  Not necessarily.  Awaiting payment means exactly that.  The buyer has not submitted payment yet.  It isn't any more complicated than that.  

Awaiting payment does not "drop off" in any certain amount of time UNLESS the buyer actually submits payment.  That is the ONLY reason the designation will change from Awaiting Payment to Awaiting Shipment.  Two different line items on your Seller Hub.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Awaiting Payment? How??

To answer all the questions...

I only clicked to send the invoice and did that because i have never seen it before, so figured either it was a glitch or something new that eBay is trying out, we all know how they like to just randomly do new stuff.

No, there was no Best Offer for this sale, i have had a few listings with OBO and those buyers always paid immediately after i accepted the offer, i have had nothing but good experience with that but i only use that for something i want to get rid of quickly and its not very often.  I think i had 3-4 OBO listings in the last year and the one in question was not it.

If i go to the eBay Seller Hub and Orders it doesn't show his order there because the default sort is Awaiting Shipment, so i changed that to All Orders and then it shows his purchase, it shows Awaiting Payment, and for the order number instead of the usual XX-XXXXX-XXXXX format there is just a four digit number there. If i click on that it takes you to the usual order info page but everything is blank.  

So as a couple of you have stated, perhaps his payment method was denied??  But from my own buying experience once when i mistyped a card number it wouldn't verify and go to the submit stage where i could complete the purchase, so i don't see how the buyer completed the purchase without payment being verified and eBay notifying me of an order.  I got the eBay app notification of the order on my phone i just didn't realize it yesterday because i had other orders and his wasn't showing on the orders page.  But when i went to clear all my phone notifications last night sure enough there was a notification for this order.  So its just really odd that it could allow the order to be placed with me and yet there was no payment verified. 

awaiting.png

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Awaiting Payment? How??

I just canceled the order, i selected the reason that there was a problem with the buyers address, which is actually correct since no shipping address was provided, it was all BLANK, only thing it showed was the buyers username, no name, no address, etc.  So it was impossible to create a shipping label and it was still stuck at awaiting payment today, so i just cancelled it.  

Buyer still hasn't replied to messages so i gave up and moved on!

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Awaiting Payment? How??

Until the buyer actually pays, the address is not available to you. 

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Awaiting Payment? How??

If a payment method was declined and you had IPR on the listing, the purchase would have never gone through.

I'm unsure as to how you found the sale as it seems to have been the long way around.  When a sale happens and a payment didn't come with the sale, it is clearly marked in the Seller Hub.

z3.jpg

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Awaiting Payment? How??

@thecrazyham wrote:

I just canceled the order, i selected the reason that there was a problem with the buyers address, which is actually correct since no shipping address was provided, it was all BLANK, only thing it showed was the buyers username, no name, no address, etc.  So it was impossible to create a shipping label and it was still stuck at awaiting payment today, so i just cancelled it.  

Buyer still hasn't replied to messages so i gave up and moved on!

You really should not have done that.  It is an abuse of the Cancellation system as it is not true.  You've been a seller for a long time and you should know that Ship To addresses are given at the time the buyer submits their payment.

Addresses you see before a payment will not necessarily be the address a buyer will have their items shipped to.

Well thank goodness it is impossible to create a shipping label, no seller should EVER ship before they have payment.

But by misusing the Cancellation system you leave yourself open to getting sanctioned by Ebay as they are cracking down on sellers that abuse the cancellation system.

All you needed to do was to wait a little longer.  96 hours after the last invoice you sent, you could have cancelled the sale using the reason the buyer did not pay.  That puts a non payment strike on the buyer's account too.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

Awaiting Payment? How??

"If a payment method was declined and you had IPR on the listing, the purchase would have never gone through."

You would think so right?  That's why i posted about it, but i got notified of the sale by the eBay app on my phone and it was listed in the Seller Hub despite it being a IPR and there being no payment received.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Awaiting Payment? How??

"All you needed to do was to wait a little longer.  96 hours after the last invoice you sent, you could have cancelled the sale using the reason the buyer did not pay.  That puts a non payment strike on the buyer's account too."

I waited long enough, 48 hours without any reply by the buyer to messages or payment is long enough.  I couldn't use the reason that the buyer did not pay, because its an IPR listing, there was no option to cancel the sale based on payment, because there shouldn't have been a sale without a payment!!!  Of the options i had, the sellers address being a problem was the only one.  And for those that said you won't get the address until they pay... **bleep**... I had an item sell via auction about a month ago and soon as it sold i could click on the order number in sellers hub and the buyers name address and phone number were all available to the right hand side of the order page.  

So something was wrong with the buyers account, or there was a glitch when he made the purchase, i have no idea.  But i contacted eBay about the whole thing this morning and i was told it was the best way i could have handled it in the situation, they wouldn't tell me how the order went through without a payment being an IPR BIN listing, but she said there was a failure on the buyers end, whatever that means.  

Anyway, its all handled and i'm not worried about any sanctions against me, there was no payment, so no sale, done.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply