cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic payment on offers not always working

About 4/10 offers I receive that say the buyer will be automatically charged when I accept the offer the payment isn’t instant. Is there a current glitch for this?

Message 1 of 49
latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

It is still in the testing phase.  So some buyers are in the test and some are not.  It will be this way until Ebay is ready to take it site wide.  I suspect or at least I hope that will be in the next couple of months as we enter the Holiday season.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 2 of 49
latest reply

I realize that, I’m saying of the ones that say offer the buyer will be charged once I accept only 4/10 are actually charged. 

Message 3 of 49
latest reply

Your title says that automatic payment[s] on offers [are] not always working.  Which caused my response because not all buyers are required to make an auto payment method on offers.  Only some buyers that are in the test program.  So not all offers will come with automated payments.

So for some buyers you will get an auto payment, for other buyers you won't.  You can't tell what it will be until you accept the offer and you get an immediate payment.  If that happens, the buyer is in the Test.  If you don't, the buyer is not in the Test as this is NOT a site wide thing yet.  They are still testing it.

Message 4 of 49
latest reply

Don't bother explaining it again.  It won't work no matter how clearly you put it.  

So, is there any kind of predictable amount of time that the payment does show, like minutes later, hours later, or does it seem to vary as much as the buyers who don't have to enter a payment?    Also did the payment USED TO show immediately for you, like when someone buys a But It Now item with immediate payment required? 

Message 5 of 49
latest reply

@gurlcat wrote:

@hphepic2 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@hphepic2 wrote:

About 4/10 offers I receive that say the buyer will be automatically charged when I accept the offer the payment isn’t instant. Is there a current glitch for this? 

It is still in the testing phase.  So some buyers are in the test and some are not.  It will be this way until Ebay is ready to take it site wide.  I suspect or at least I hope that will be in the next couple of months as we enter the Holiday season

I realize that, I’m saying of the ones that say offer the buyer will be charged once I accept only 4/10 are actually charged. 

Don't bother explaining it again.  It won't work no matter how clearly you put it.  

Well done, cutting yet succinct. Those wayward responses which miss or misread words in the OPs are so annoying. One possibility is buyers have learned to provide defunct payment methods in order to continue making offers or placing bids, a deliberate version of the misstep described here, and so the automatic payment fails and allows them to revert to the manual checkout instead.

Message 6 of 49
latest reply

There was nothing off topic or wrong with what I stated.  You may not have liked the post, however that doesn't change it.  However it appears I did mis-state part of it, it does not appear to be a test any longer and sellers can now make this setting in their Site Preferences then Buyer requirements.

It also isn't necessary to be rude to each other because you don't like a post.

Buyer Requirements 8-8-23.jpg

Message 7 of 49
latest reply

Sounds like a good explanation. I sell on 4 other platforms and if that method fails the transaction fails. This sounds like a better method vs this.

Message 8 of 49
latest reply

@mam98031 

The pre-authorized offers indicate that they are such when they are presented to you. It says something to the effect of "Buyer has already provided payment info so if you accept we'll automatically charge the buyer" whereas non-preauthorized says something like "If you accept, we'll notify the buyer that its time to pay and you'll receive payment within 4 days". I actually just stopped and took a moment to read it today. There is also a color-code difference. Pre-authorized has a green symbol (a green check mark i think) and regular has a blue symbol (don't remember what the symbol was).

I may be a little off on wording and symbols but I'm sure on indication of type of offer and 99.999% sure on color coding as thats usually what catches my attention.

Message 9 of 49
latest reply

@hphepic2 wrote:

Sounds like a good explanation. I sell on 4 other platforms and if that method fails the transaction fails. This sounds like a better method vs this.

They are guessing at that happening, they don't know it is happening.  It is unlikely to be true otherwise we would see this same problem happening on listings with IPR and just regular transactions.  Ebay does verify the funding source and always has since they started MP.  If the buyer's payment fails, so does the transaction.

Message 10 of 49
latest reply

Usually the payment clears within minutes. I sell 4-5 items a day all offer mostly and never had this issue til a month ago or so. 

Message 11 of 49
latest reply

@ajs_coins_and_alchemy 

Again, EXCELLENT information.  

Now if you would, go back and look at my post just a couple up thread.  Have you looked at your Buyer Requirements lately?  There are a couple new things on there.

Message 12 of 49
latest reply

That’s not true it tells you before you accept the offer here’s a shot of what it looks like. In this case i still haven’t been paid. I accepted another like it earlier that day and got paid in less than a minute.

IMG_8466.jpeg

Message 13 of 49
latest reply

@hphepic2 wrote:

Usually the payment clears within minutes. I sell 4-5 items a day all offer mostly and never had this issue til a month ago or so. 

No that is not accurate.  The payment gets approved or declined in moments.  The payment doesn't clear for 24 to 48 hours.  Usually closer to the 24 side.  It has been this way for years and it works this way for all merchants.  There is no credit card or debit card payment that is instant on the internet or B&M.  But the approval for the charge happens in a blink of an eye.  Then the merchant has to process the transaction to get the actual cash.

Message 14 of 49
latest reply

@hphepic2 

Ok, stupid question, define instant...

I don't believe any pre-authorized offer you accept will result in an instant payment in the traditional sense of instant... there usually is a delay of at least a few minutes, as I know this from buyers using Buy It Now as well. Ive had people message me saying "just bought it" and it takes a few minutes to show up. Same for when I pay for an item I'll see "Payment Processing" or "Order Processing" (whatever it actually says) before the status switches to "Order Confirmed". Actually quite funny how we can swipe a credit card in a store and within a couple seconds its approved and we're cleared to walk away but on EBay it takes a few minutes before they clear it. So of course it's their system and not the payment method itself.

Ok i went totally off track. Ive always noticed a delay of at least a few minutes from acceptance to cleared payment. Ive noticed sometimes a longer delay. I dont think I've ever seen a long enough delay to concern me or one that makes me think buyer had to manually pay... I think this is just EBay's regular payment system used for any and all paymemts and how it faces some forms of delays whether they be 2 mins or 5 mins or so. Don't forget, if you're relying on notifications via email or phone, those can be delayed as well. Sometimes I don't get the notifications on my phone until I open the app, then I get bombarded. So delays can lie anywhere from payment process to notificatiom system

Message 15 of 49
latest reply