cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Payments for Offers

eBay, when are offers going to paid for? 

I've been trying get an answer, and have received different answers from different sources.  

This seems like it should be easy.  

Please help

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

eBay is not here -

What offers? Are you asking about immediate payment upon offer acceptance??

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Some users have to verify a payment method before making an offer, and in my experience payment was immediate. When you send an offer and it is accepted, your buyer has a full 96 hours to pay. Hope that helps...

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

I have automatic payments. I signed up for "Tuesday Payments". Although it saids you can get your funds in 30 minutes...that is after about 32 hours of processing those payments...after that you can request any available payments of 32 hours or more ...I usually get that in a few seconds to my bank. But, there is that window of around 32 hours or so before you can do the "request payout" button. For some strange reason, even though buyers paid me a few days ago it doesn't seem to be working this holiday. My funds have not gone to "available funds" for a few days now. Not a big deal for me, but others might need that money for stuff.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

@somethingneat wrote:

It's a very slow roll out. When did they first start testing this - a year and a half ago? Here's the latest official update from eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/resources/seller-updates/2023-winter/business

In other words: they're not revealing any timeline for site wide implementation, not even an estimate.

My buying account was recently opted in. Made some offers this past month where I had to confirm my payment method in advance.

Some general info to keep in mind:

From my observation, it says "immediate payment" upon acceptance of an offer, but many sellers are taking that too literally. Accepting the offer does trigger an automatic payment process, but since that process is not instantaneous it can take anywhere from 10 min or up to an hour for the payment to show on the seller's end.

Even with regular purchases, sometimes buyers message me that they bought something and it doesn't show up on my orders page until half an hour later. It's the nature of payment processing and the many steps involved that sometimes you don't see it right away (and other times you do).

So don't take "immediate" to mean literally within seconds. Automatic is a more accurate word than immediate in this situation.

If you're the seller and the buyer makes an offer, you'll see on the offer screen a message that tells you if the buyer is opted in to auto-pay on offers.

Buyers with accounts opted in to auto-pay on offers have to provide a payment method before they submit their offer (buyer initiated) or before they accept an offer (seller initiated).

Sellers that rely on multi-item purchases and combining shipping through the shopping cart can turn off the auto-pay on offers requirement for any buyers that visit their shop. Setting is found at the bottom of this page: https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 5 of 18
latest reply

It is has been 96 plus hours since your buyer purchased an item and they have not paid, Cancel the transaction with the reason that the buyer didn't pay.  That will resolve your current issue.

Know that Ebay is working actively on this problem.  They are in the process of testing requiring a buyer to put in their payment information when they issue an offer to a seller.  If the seller accepts that offer, then the buyer will be paying for it at that moment.

It will be a very welcomed change on the site.  So know it is coming our way soon.  But they need to finish the testing first.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Thanks for the response, and not being snarky.  

But eBay is the only platform that I sell on that doesn't have this feature.  They've been dragging their feet for a very long time.  And talked to ebay agents that have given dates that have come and gone. 

But thanks have a great day

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

@somethingneat wrote:

I've been trying get an answer, and have received different answers from different sources.  

Please help

Over a year ago eBay started a pilot program where buyers had to provide a payment source at the time of an offer, and agree to let eBay charge then upon acceptance.

The fact that it has not been rolled to everyone suggests to me that  statistical analysis showed that it discouraged too many legitimate buyers.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

@somethingneat wrote:

Thanks for the response, and not being snarky.  

But eBay is the only platform that I sell on that doesn't have this feature.  They've been dragging their feet for a very long time.  And talked to ebay agents that have given dates that have come and gone. 

But thanks have a great day

Well keep in mind that Ebay is the only site that has auctions too.  So there are things Ebay offers that no other site similar to them offers.  

Amazon doesn't have a Best offer function at all.  There is like a fixed price listing would be on Ebay with IPR [immediate payment required].

Etsy doesn't have best offers either that I'm aware of, they are all fixed price listings too with IPR.

I do however agree that it has taken them many years to even start addressing this problem.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@somethingneat wrote:

Please help

Over a year ago eBay started a pilot program where buyers had to provide a payment source at the time of an offer, and agree to let eBay charge then upon acceptance.

The fact that it has not been rolled to everyone suggests to me that  statistical analysis showed that it discouraged too many legitimate buyers.

Where did you hear this?  To my knowledge they have added more buyers to the test program.  But you are correct there has to be a reason why it is taking so long, I'm just not sure it is what you feel it is.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

I thought that I had read it on the update, and spoke with an agent for clarification.  They told me that the 20th was the date.  But that was wrong.  I'm just frustrated, as I want to send and accept offers but there are too many unpaid offers sitting.  

It doesn't make sense that payment on an offer would scare off legitimate buyers.  It seems that it would deter buyers that don't intend to pay.  

Can't tell you how many buyers lately, make an offer.  A couple days go by and I get the, I'll pay next week when my check clears.  

How is this any way to do business? 

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Why would it be too far out there to have auctions paid for by the winner when the auctions end?  Or the same with accepted offers?  

A payment form should be uploaded prior.  To sell on eBay it's treated as a business to the IRS but sellers aren't treated like a business by eBay.   

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

@somethingneat wrote:

I'm just frustrated, as I want to send and accept offers but there are too many unpaid offers sitting.  

What about running sales instead of sending offers, at least until more buyers are enrolled in autopay offers?

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 13 of 18
latest reply

@somethingneat wrote:

I thought that I had read it on the update, and spoke with an agent for clarification.  They told me that the 20th was the date.  But that was wrong.  I'm just frustrated, as I want to send and accept offers but there are too many unpaid offers sitting.  

It doesn't make sense that payment on an offer would scare off legitimate buyers.  It seems that it would deter buyers that don't intend to pay.  

Can't tell you how many buyers lately, make an offer.  A couple days go by and I get the, I'll pay next week when my check clears.  

How is this any way to do business? 

You don't have to wait that long for payment.  Just let your buyer know that you aren't willing to wait that long.  Then 96 hours after the purchase file a cancellation using the reason as the buyer didn't pay.  Then you are free to relist your item.

I know it is not the optimal way to do things, but it is what we have to work with at this time.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

@somethingneat wrote:

Why would it be too far out there to have auctions paid for by the winner when the auctions end?  Or the same with accepted offers?  

A payment form should be uploaded prior.  To sell on eBay it's treated as a business to the IRS but sellers aren't treated like a business by eBay.   

Someday soon hopefully they will get it worked out.  

This has nothing to do with whether you are treated like a business or not.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply