cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attn Ebay people, stop banning specific words in trading card categories

The increasing list of banned words in trading card categories is making it impossible to list certain cards both in gaming cards and nongaming cards. 

Ebay wants to be the best place for cards and even bought tcgplayer.

However they have begun banning a number of words that might imply that GASP the seller has more than 1 card available. However those words also exist in the official names of many cards.  I run into this left and right now when I am trying to edit old listings. 

Banned words include

Pack. 60 Magic cards have the word pack in the title.

Binder. 11 Magic cards have that word in the title.

Looks like. - 1 pokemon card has that in the title.

Crusade - Banned because the Magic people "banned" a card with this name, but 21 other cards have that word in the title. There are tons of false hits related to the 7 "banned" magic cards.

Anything with 2x, 3x, etc, some of the Anime base card games have things like that in the title.

I am sure there are many more I have not personally encountered. I had to incorrectly name (and thus make impossible to find) quite a few cards today when I did a mass update of all my magic card listings.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Unfortunately, in a scan of the boards, one can see that almost every category is having the same issue. It is crippling a lot of business when a seller has to stray far from a legitimate description to out- guess a bot.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

In general, the only thing that makes ebay 'correct' their bots is LOSS OF MONEY for the venue.  Pack up your toys and go diversify your selling options.  Ebay is no longer the only act in town. 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

In general, the only thing that makes ebay 'correct' their bots is LOSS OF MONEY for the venue.  Pack up your toys and go diversify your selling options.  Ebay is no longer the only act in town. 

Less choices than you think really. Every other card specialty site has people selling cards for 25 cents and 1 cent, and ebay owns TCGplayer which is really the only site other than ebay that has any traffic for CCG related cards and TCGplayer is terrible for sellers. Imagine ebay had successfully identified every single item in the world, and automatically sorted them price lowest first when customers looked for them, and there was also no minimum price point. I would light my remaining card inventory on fire before selling it on tcgplayer.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

If you think eBay cares about you or your business, you are nuts. They don't care what is good for YOU, they care what they think is good for them. Look forward to more of the same. I know you are sold on eBay and don't mind licking the boot that kicks you. Sooner or later reality will set in. All the work you do, building your business here, and at some point you realize it's been for little reward.

It wasn't that long ago, I had THOUSANDS of listings, I had to "fix" thanks to eBay's desire to build their "catalog" and search engine "visibility". Hundreds of hours put in, only to have sales drop off a cliff and not come back. I worked my butt off, "fixing" listings and keeping up with daily listings. ALL for nothing. It is undeniable, eBay doesn't care about wrecking their own categories. Their focus right now is completely on high end "verticals".  Your cards ain't one of them. Look forward to more of the same. 

Then maybe someone will come along and tell you how you are doing it wrong. You need to lower your price or offer free shipping too. Because making any money for the time you put into listing and all that encompasses running this business, that's not how everyone else is doing it. And if that causes dings on your account, you are just imagining them. lol. 

Look man, no offense meant. This is just how this platform works. When seller are making money, they think eBay can do no wrong and it's the greatest place ever. Sooner or later the honeymoon is over and reality sets in. Your frustrations are only going to get worse. All in time, you will see. I would advise you as well, you NEED to diversify where you sell. Selling for you is about making money, so go make money and branch your income streams. 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@farmalljr wrote:

If you think eBay cares about you or your business, you are nuts. They don't care what is good for YOU, they care what they think is good for them. Look forward to more of the same. I know you are sold on eBay and don't mind licking the boot that kicks you. Sooner or later reality will set in. All the work you do, building your business here, and at some point you realize it's been for little reward.

It wasn't that long ago, I had THOUSANDS of listings, I had to "fix" thanks to eBay's desire to build their "catalog" and search engine "visibility". Hundreds of hours put in, only to have sales drop off a cliff and not come back. I worked my butt off, "fixing" listings and keeping up with daily listings. ALL for nothing. It is undeniable, eBay doesn't care about wrecking their own categories. Their focus right now is completely on high end "verticals".  Your cards ain't one of them. Look forward to more of the same. 

Then maybe someone will come along and tell you how you are doing it wrong. You need to lower your price or offer free shipping too. Because making any money for the time you put into listing and all that encompasses running this business, that's not how everyone else is doing it. And if that causes dings on your account, you are just imagining them. lol. 

Look man, no offense meant. This is just how this platform works. When seller are making money, they think eBay can do no wrong and it's the greatest place ever. Sooner or later the honeymoon is over and reality sets in. Your frustrations are only going to get worse. All in time, you will see. I would advise you as well, you NEED to diversify where you sell. Selling for you is about making money, so go make money and branch your income streams. 

Luckily I had already decided to stop buying more cards. The writing is on the wall for the entire category and not just because of ebay, but also because automation is really starting to come online with cards. Machines like the PhyzBatch-9000 can identify, inventory, sort, and upload to sales websites 5000 cards per hour. Right now the software for that machine only supports Magic and Pokemon cards, but given time it will likely expand to everything.  Give it a few more years and they will have a card machine that can also pull and pack orders. Then it is over for everyone who doesn't have the machines, and those who do have them will compete each other into the ground as there is now no labor cost.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Change..

Its good

Its bad

Its breaks a Dollar!

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@gotta-have-it-collectables wrote:

Change..

Its good

Its bad

Its breaks a Dollar!

Change doesn't bother me. I am totally willing to change categories or business practices as needed. I have a general overall preferred category of physical tabletop games (which happens to include cards), although that has a good 100 subcategories within it which all rise and fall over time and I don't limit myself to this area. 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

What other games are in town? I do not see Etsy, Mercari, Amazon, Walmart or Craigslist as viable options. 

Message 9 of 9
latest reply