cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you having an increase in the number of people asking for shipping discounts?

Lately I have had more buyers asking for shipping discounts.  I do not inflate the shipping price but I guess it is a reaction to the increase in postal costs.

Do you think buyers are unaware that eBay takes a percentage of the shipping cost in the eBay selling fee?

How do you respond to buyers asking for a discount before or after a sale?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Are you having an increase in the number of people asking for shipping discounts?

I have not had anyone ask for a shipping discount (not yet) 

Honestly I think most buyers could care less about the fee's we are charged they just want a good price.

How to respond, well always be professional and just explain due to the increase of shipping costs you are unable to offer shipping discounts

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I haven't gotten any of those requests since I started stating right in my listing Description that the shipping cost shown is the actual cost for USPS postage, based on the package weight. I also state that I will charge actual shipping costs for combined purchases IF they wait for me to send an invoice with the adjusted shipping cost.  But of course I don't mention that in both cases they are being charged the actual Retail price.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

If the buyer asks BEFORE the sale, I would just tell them to use the USPS calculator to see what the shipping cost is.  Of course, I would tell them that does not take into account the packaging, handling and eBay fees.  That way, they make a more informed buying decision.

If they ask AFTER the sale, I would just state that the listing states the fee and it is what it is.

I only had one buyer ever ask about shipping.  He was located on an island somewhere in the Pacific and only asked to reinforce that packing as his mail carrier seemed to delight in crushing his packages to fit into his mail box.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Are these before they Buy or after?

We have had a couple lately - they want the item discounted AND Free Shipping.

Um, no......

I think Buyers do not realize shipping went UP again.  Nor, do they care!

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@katzrul15 wrote:

Are these before they Buy or after?

We have had a couple lately - they want the item discounted AND Free Shipping.

Um, no......

I think Buyers do not realize shipping went UP again.  Nor, do they care!

Or it's because anything shipped from the River(regional warehouses) when buyer has Prime is shipped for free. Where as they are not realizing that eBay sellers are.....All over the place lacking the sales volume to cover free shipping.

In the past many companies used to have order minimums before free shipping kicked in. 

-Lotz

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@kathy507 wrote:

Lately I have had more buyers asking for shipping discounts.  I do not inflate the shipping price but I guess it is a reaction to the increase in postal costs.

Do you think buyers are unaware that eBay takes a percentage of the shipping cost in the eBay selling fee?

How do you respond to buyers asking for a discount before or after a sale?

It depends, we had a buyer who bought few items in the past, always bothered to live nice positive FB, he asked for a 10% discount on one item, so yes sure, why not it's fine.

but if it is just abstract buyer with no feedback, his request usually gets deleted with no response...

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Never, because I can always estimate shipping costs and incorporate them into my sell price and thus offer free shipping.   The added advantage is that it often eliminates the buyers who can't do the math, a subgroup of buyers that is overly populated by idiots worth avoiding.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

No, I’ve never had that happen to me, mainly because people don’t buy two things from me! I did sell an Atari 7800 and the buyer, with 3,000+ feedback, asked me to “pack it with care.” 

Message 9 of 9
latest reply