cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are the words contained within the categories part of the SEO algorithm of eBay?

Are the words contained within the categories part of the SEO algorithm of eBay?

For example, if a product is listed in the category "Bedroom, Playroom & Dorm Décor", and the word "bedroom"  is not present in the title or item specifics of the product, will  this product be ranked for the word "bedroom" if  someone types just "bedroom" in the eBay search (NOT searching in a specific category)?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Are the words contained within the categories part of the SEO algorithm of eBay?

It is my understanding that, yes, the category is part of the algorithm. But on the other hand, I do not believe that most people would search for "bedroom decor", but a specific item such as mirror, dogs playing poker prints, Degas prints, carved wood name plaques, vanity lamps, etc.

On the other hand, not all minds work as mine, so who knows...........................................
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@rainbownurseryshop wrote:

Are the words contained within the categories part of the SEO algorithm of eBay?

For example, if a product is listed in the category "Bedroom, Playroom & Dorm Décor", and the word "bedroom"  is not present in the title or item specifics of the product, will  this product be ranked for the word "bedroom" if  someone types just "bedroom" in the eBay search (NOT searching in a specific category)?

I don't think anyone here knows the details of how eBay implements search. But it has been widely observed that category names do influence the results when the category name is part of the search.

It has also been widely observed that eBay may filter a search in "All Categories" to a specific category based on some connections between the search terms and the category name. Hoever, teh details of this are not clear either.

For instance, if I search "dolls" under All Categories in Best Match, it will switch the category to Dolls & Bears > Dolls.

And if I search  "teddy bear" under All Categories in Best Match, it will switch the category to Dolls & Bears > Bears.

But if I search  "bears" under All Categories in Best Match, it will remain in "All Categories".

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@rainbownurseryshop wrote:

I don't think anyone here knows the details of how eBay implements search. But it has been widely observed that category names do influence the results when the category name is part of the search.

It has also been widely observed that eBay may filter a search in "All Categories" to a specific category based on some connections between the search terms and the category name. Hoever, teh details of this are not clear either.

For instance, if I search "dolls" under All Categories in Best Match, it will switch the category to Dolls & Bears > Dolls.

And if I search  "teddy bear" under All Categories in Best Match, it will switch the category to Dolls & Bears > Bears.

But if I search  "bears" under All Categories in Best Match, it will remain in "All Categories".

EBay's search can be figured out with experimentation. The problem is, they usually change how it works every month, or sometimes just weeks apart.

So you have to constantly try to stay up to date with what seems to be working - searching your own items is a MUST to see how they are appearing.

You also have to use a bit of logic. Assuming sometimes the category name will be weighed heavily in their search, other times it may weight the title more heavily. You want to try to cover both situations as best as possible.

An example from the Motors category our store sells in, at times Manufacturer Part Number had by far the most weight, with "Other Part Number" and "Interchange Part Number" being treated equal. Other times, MPN might be treated equally. Other times, it might be MPN > Other > Interchange.

One particularly bad time, ONLY MPN was being considered. This did a number to the category and made search go a bit crazy. But that one was changed again within a week back to normal.

In conclusion, search your items & test regularly as it changes constantly, and also use some logic anticipating what they might change, and try to cover all bases as best possible.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@zamo-zuan wrote:
EBay's search can be figured out with experimentation. The problem is, they usually change how it works every month, or sometimes just weeks apart.

"Dolls" matches a category under "Dolls & Bears" and switches to the matching category "Dolls". 

"Teddy Bear" matches a category under "Dolls & Bears > Bears", but it switches to the parent category of the matching category.

"Bears" matches a category under "Dolls & Bears", but does not switch to the matching category or the parent of the matching category.

Experimentation "figures out" nothing except what you experiement directly on ... which is not much help if you are listing hundreds or thousands of items. 

And even when you do experiment, what you "figure out" often does not make much sense 🙂

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@zamo-zuan wrote:

"Dolls" matches a category under "Dolls & Bears" and switches to the matching category "Dolls". 

"Teddy Bear" matches a category under "Dolls & Bears > Bears", but it switches to the parent category of the matching category.

"Bears" matches a category under "Dolls & Bears", but does not switch to the matching category or the parent of the matching category.

Experimentation "figures out" nothing except what you experiement directly on ... which is not much help if you are listing hundreds or thousands of items. 

And even when you do experiment, what you "figure out" often does not make much sense 🙂

Usually you can figure out key aspects of the categories you sell in, even Sellers Hub focuses on your most sold categories. Most sellers learning how their own items work can determine what's best to stay competitive.

It is true that it often does not make sense. That seems even more so since the new catalog began being rolled out. But it is still valuable to know how the searches work. You can take key aspects in to consideration. Dolls, for example, is a more focused result, meaning you can better focus on other item specifics. While "bears" is a much wider search, meaning that buyers are more likely to be attempting more searches. And knowing Bears matches the Dolls category, will tell you that if you are selling an item that is NOT a doll, you should focus on a better matching keyword.

But I should note, while it's good to know how your category works, the most important area to test in search is not the category, as much as the product identifiers. Which identifiers appear in search will help you to easily cover much more ground with your listing, which does give a boost to impressions. 

This has more of a less of a difference depending on category, but in Motors it's integral. There's so many different aftermarket codes, you must stay on top of which product identifier fields are being weighed heavily in search, and make sure you have the high priority items there. 

You could also use general search/SEO rules, tools, and strategies such as google trends, to get an idea of the most common searches people do. Of course the results will vary a bit from eBay, but it can help find a decent correlation of what the "masses" are searching for most right now. This helps get on top of trends as well, so you can find any that fit your products & edit them in to your identifiers for maximum exposure. 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply