cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AI generated titles and descriptions

Just looked at a couple of listing for Aladdin lamps, the ones used for home lighting. While AI might be quick, people should know about their product before listing the item, I have never seen such flowery tripe! Go back and preview your listing before posting the listing. Does that Baby Blue description really fit the item! 

Found another listing by different seller, while the item was for the same brand of lights, the wording was just as flowery. 🙂 Not really in the last case, a description of a used item. 

"This beautiful Aladdin Loxon(should be LOX-ON) Mantle in Baby Blue is a must-have for any collector or lover of unique lighting. Crafted with exquisite attention to detail, this mantle showcases the brand's exceptional craftsmanship and quality. Its stunning blue color is sure to add a touch of elegance and sophistication to any room it is placed in.

Perfect for those who appreciate fine art and design, this Aladdin Loxon Mantle is a fantastic addition to any collection. With its unique blue hue and impeccable craftsmanship, it is sure to be a conversation starter and a cherished piece for years to come. Add it to your collection today and experience the beauty and quality that Aladdin is renowned for."

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Some sellers know as less about the product than the AI.

This description makes an excellent presentation to a buyer who is equally ignorant.

The Internet has always been a great leveler.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

This beautiful Aladdin Loxon(should be LOX-ON) Mantle in Baby Blue is a must-have

@redmodelt   

I have to readily agree on the "flowery tripe" designation.  I think I would prefer the 'no description' seller's listing that say "nice widget see pics (that are typically dark, blurry, taken 3 feet away in the closet with the lights off)",  or simply repeat their title.    At least my back button could be employed quickly as opposed to wasting my time going through all that word garbage only to discover there was no size,  no condition statement,  and of course the proverbial overworked "must have" or similar phrase.  

I didn't know those Lox-On mantles came in 'baby blue', or were they particularly stylish seeing as how they all look alike.....LOL... 

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

"While AI might be quick, . . .  I have never seen such flowery tripe!"

This is precisely why I am opposed to using AI for item descriptions in eBay.  I prefer to compose my own flowery tripe.   

I also try to follow traditional grammatical rules, so I would change that last sentence to ". . . experience the beauty and quality for which Aladdin is renowned."  

However, I am looking forward to choosing different background textures or scenes for my photos.  I haven't had the chance to try that yet, so I don't know whether eBay has made it available at this point.  

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

I've been experimenting with the AI listing descriptions but I usually don't use more than a few words from them. I recently tried AI on a listing for a model of a cigar store.  The AI description very impressively informed shoppers that it came with a cigar store "Indian." Which is definitely something I should have included in my own description if only it were even remotely true.

As a shopper, I ignore any part of the AI generated description and I found myself completely bypassing a recent listing because the photo seemed to show some damage on the item but the AI description just repeated how perfect it was. Blerrgh.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

However, I am looking forward to choosing different background textures or scenes for my photos

@monroe67 

May I suggest the "pink shag rug" background option, or the "textured paper towel" that looks suspiciously like quilted toilet paper?  That way you can avoid the look of a photo lifted from some other website. LOL. 

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Artificial intelligence is a con to begin with, it does not exist. AI = computer algorithms, nothing more. Software programs do not have, and never will have any form of emotional intelligence like a human does. 

What we perceive as artificial intelligence is nothing more than a mirror of human intelligence transferred to a software program.

When I was a web developer/designer, I used scripts all the time to test for certain things and given a certain response under certain conditions (if, and, or, etc). That is not the work of AI, rather the work of human intelligence.

"This beautiful Aladdin Loxon Mantle in Baby Blue". its just a software program doing what its code masters told it to do; find inspiring words that make something sound exciting. That's not the result of artificial intelligence, its human intelligence mirrored in a software program.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@gamersbaystore ,
You mean a vintage 80's used car salesman? 🤣

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

(that are typically dark, blurry, taken 3 feet away in the closet with the lights off)

That really fits in this case, because they were blurry taken on a busy background. LOL

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Between the blurry photos and lack of even the basic information about which lamps the mantals fit in the title, I sent them a message that after the first use, they turn a warm ashen gray! 

I bet somehow their listing will show up in the baby section under blankets or sleepwear. LOL Oh those sweet baby blues isn't that Frank Sinatra? 

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

The AI description very impressively informed shoppers that it came with a cigar store "Indian." Which is definitely something I should have included in my own description if only it were even remotely true.

@djvp53 

Thank you for that.  Unfortunately for me, eBay sellers are no longer selling SPEW GUARD, and I had to go to AZ.  It will be here in the morning so I can clean and defend this keyboard that still has the letters and numbers. Definitely a  "must have" for reading that "flowery tripe".  

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

that after the first use, they turn a warm ashen gray! 

@redmodelt 

Not to mention, as I am not embarrassed to mention I found through personal experience years ago during a hurricane, that one should never "blow" on the mantle to put out the flame.  Maybe the baby blue ones work better though...  on eBay I could claim SNAD.....mantle was not blue and failed as soon as I a blew it out.   

The seller is still responsible for the information supplied in the listing, even though it is inaccurate, or is accurate and they buyer decides to claim otherwise. 

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Its stunning blue color is sure to add a touch of elegance and sophistication to any room it is placed in.

it is sure to be a conversation starter

INAD return reasons........

It did not add any more elegance to my laundry room so I will be returning it.

I had a blind date over and we sat in silence so this is not as described.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

It did not add any more elegance to my laundry room so I will be returning it.

I had a blind date over and we sat in silence so this is not as described.

@janet9988 

Good job! 

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

However, I am looking forward to choosing different background textures or scenes for my photos

@monroe67 

May I suggest the "pink shag rug" background option, or the "textured paper towel" that looks suspiciously like quilted toilet paper?  That way you can avoid the look of a photo lifted from some other website. LOL. 

It's hard to beat the garage floor option - pair it with courier font for the description for that essential gritty vibe.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 15 of 15
latest reply