cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2023 eBay Ads Holiday Guide!!

When I saw this I thought:

What?? eBay actually listened to us?

They are going to run some advertising for the holidays and hopefully jumpstart seasonal sales for all of us?

NOPE.

NOT EVEN CLOSE.

What they're saying is that individual SELLERS should "advertise".

Which, we can only surmise, means jacking up your Promoted Listing percentage so you can get to the 1st page of the search and maybe make a few " holiday" sales.

After all...Ebay's PL cash grab does fall under their "advertising" income.

Gee...thanks eBay.

For nothing.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Not sure why you neglected to include links to what you are upset about.  But here they are so each reader can decide for themselves if it is helpful or not.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/What-s-New/2023-eBay-Ads-Holiday-Guide/ba-p/34047391

https://www.ebayads.com/2023/09/13/2023-ebay-ads-holiday-guide/

This guide is intended for sellers, so I'm unsure as to why you are upset by it.  Some sellers do run holiday campaigns, especially larger sellers.  So this can be a great resource for those sellers.

For you this information may be worthless, to others it may help them.  It is just for each of us to decide what works best for our own little or big businesses.

As I've said many times, I don't use Promoted Listings, but there are sellers that do and running a special holiday campaign may be just what they want to do.

Because this isn't something that is useful to you doesn't mean it isn't useful to others.

Some sellers have for years done some of their own advertising, especially on Social Media.  That can be a very good thing for sellers to do.  It isn't a new concept.  Advertising on your Facebook page if you have one is a good move for many sellers.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

1. Unlike you, I dont think the sellers on here are idiots. If they're selling, it's already there to read on their My eBay page.

Plus, I knew there's always one cheerleader on here that would post the link.

SURPRISE!!

It was you.

Plus your reference to advertising on a Facebook page was hilarious. 

I mean it's great if your trying to reach the Social Security crowd.

Maybe I should also buy ads on the 

"Leave It To Beaver" reruns?

Thanks for the "selling tips" mam.

You're such a wealth of information. 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I have just been a very small/casual seller over the last 20 years, but used to spend more buying here ($2-3K/yr, which is a good chunk of change for us). Was never a huge Etsy shopper, but a few weeks ago with their $10 off every $40 purchase (which could be used multiple times), I bought from over 20 different shops. Got a good amount of Christmas shopping done. Of course I understand it's a different offering of products. But, that $10 off $40 pulled me in. Plus, I just ended up browsing for many on my list. And, that one commercial has been stuck in my head...."Happiness is..."

Not sure how that type of promotion impacts its sellers....i.e. what portion do they end up supporting those kind of deals? However, I have never seen any offers like this on here. Maybe only certain members get them and I'm not in that group!

Best of luck the next few months. I hope eBay does SOMETHING! 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Your initial post was vague so @mam98031  elaborated on your post. 

Where in the responders post do you see Facebook? Social Media is not just Facebook, it’s Twitter, TikTok instagram, MeWe and others. 
Your response was rather rude and disrespectful. If you don’t like the responses you get from your post, then don’t post. 

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Last evening I was watching TV and low and behold there was a actual ebay commercial. It was a 15 second spot showcasing Rolex Watches and Sneakers. I wonder what ebay's focus is?  I tell you one thing, If I was going to buy or sell an expensive watch, I would sell it locally for cash.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Having a civil conversation with you seems challenging.  You have the need to call others names which is bully tactic often seen in schoolyards.  

Your first point is incorrect, of course.  I am Pro Sellers, always have been.  While you may feel this guide is worthless, others may find it useful.  I'm unsure as to why you see that as a bad thing just because it is not something useful to you.  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 7 of 7
latest reply