cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$1 listing fee for 1 and 3 days auctions

Apparently the official justification given for this when it was introduced in 2015 is that such listing are less likely to be successful . First of all this seems like totally unnecessary micromanagement of our businesses. More important it overlooks how finely balanced many sellers' finances are, a balance that was already made more difficult by the delay in receiving payment under the new managed payments regime. It just seems like ebay does not properly appreciated its sellers. I cannot get them to take a separate complaint I have with their conduct with a minimal level of respect (i.e. replying as promised).

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

It is eBay platform, and eBays rules for you to sell on eBay. Those are the charges they have set. It is up to you to set your prices to make a profit selling within those rules.

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

I think this was done to prevent sellers from resisting items a bunch of time  when Ebay puts on a promotion such as no fees for items selling by certain date. Control is the name of the game.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

Ebay was sold to me as a community when I joined, and their job was presented just as a broker helping me to sell. Over the years they keep piling on rule after rule, some of them with no more justification than 'because we can', like this one. Sellers are stakeholders we helped build the business. They deserve at the very least non-voting representation on the board of directors, this way our  voices are  unheard the only places where it matters. That's fine with you, but that top down attitude is why so many young people are less than thrilled with capitalism. Ebay needs new leadership that respects sellers, this is a longstanding problem. 

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

@ppcstamp wrote:

It just seems like ebay does not properly appreciated its sellers. 

eBay is not in business to appreciate sellers; they are in business to generate revenue and deliver profit.

Over the past decade eBay has clearly demonstrated a willingness to break eggs while making omelettes. 

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@ppcstamp wrote:

It just seems like ebay does not properly appreciated its sellers. 

eBay is not in business to appreciate sellers; they are in business to generate revenue and deliver profit.

Over the past decade eBay has clearly demonstrated a willingness to break eggs while making omelettes. 

I just wish they would stop dropping the shell into the omelette!!

-Lotz

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

I signed up to sell stuff, not join a community. Simple, don't list your stuff with 1 or 3 day auctions, then you don't have to pay the fee!

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

Ebay was sold to me as a community when I joined, and their job was presented just as a broker helping me to sell.

And you fell for it.

EBay is not your friend. EBay is your landlord.

Never work for a company that tells you they are a family.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

@ryanrobyn wrote:

I think this was done to prevent sellers from resisting items a bunch of time  when Ebay puts on a promotion such as no fees for items selling by certain date. Control is the name of the game.

I think this was actually it - eBay was running these huge free listing promotions for 50k of 100k listings and sellers were churning their items every three days and frequently every day.  It was a real nightmare for anyone trying to shop.  eBay was just getting data but the rest of us had to put up with the mess when we were trying to browse. I'm glad they got rid of both the free listing sales and was not surprised when they surcharged 1-day and 3-day listings.  It keeps search results a lot less cluttered.

And yeah, any corp who wants to be your 'family' is just another word for a cult.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 9 of 21
latest reply

In the Biz we call those "unnecessary listing upgrades."

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

Isn't it sort of silly to have a 1 day auction?  ebay doesn't even guarantee it will be listed in 12 hours, let alone seen, does it?

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 11 of 21
latest reply

Disregarding what profit eBay makes off us in fees, selling here is about as capitalistic as one can get, the goal is profit after cost! Profit is NOT a 4 letter word. 🙂

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

If you have a listing with a very rare and highly sought after item in it, by all means do the 1 or 3 day.

I do 5 day listings now, but more often than not, they sell shortly after listing on that same day.

I say go for it.  Pick 1 or 3 days and sell that rare item. If its not rare try the 5 day or 7 day listing.

Loose Cannon
Message 13 of 21
latest reply

You always have the option to not use eBay. eBay gets to make the rules for the eBay site within legal guidelines.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

and there is the problem, you bought into the sales pitch..............

Message 15 of 21
latest reply