cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows XP

Instead of changing things that are working and making them MORE difficult. How about assigning a couple of people to set up their connection with a Windows XP computer and help us poor people that can't aford a new computer.  There are so many things that do not work especiqally just as of last week. They will be flabergased by the things that no longer work and hopefully can fix some of them, such as search dont work anymore. Even on the unsold page we cannot delete the sold and relisted items. Most of the problems only started about two weeks ago. I know I am not the only one trying to use a XP. Try dong some good for a change and help us out. Instead of us trying to explain. Start up a XP and try to do several things on the HUB page. You see what we are dealing with. Last week I called about a problem and sure everything is working on your computer it is not a XP. Finnally they just hung up on me. Was going to call them back but I had already waisted 2 hours on the phone trying to explain what my computer was NOT doing. What harm would it do to have a XP there to experience our problems.

OK I have vented enough. I am a fixer but this I cannot fix without your help.

thlolpeekaboo2

Janet
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Windows XP

Instead of changing things that are working and making them MORE difficult. How about assigning a couple of people to set up their connection with a Windows XP computer and help us poor people that can't aford a new computer. 

Save your money and upgrade to a new computer as an investment with Windows 10 (at least, it is Win 11 now), an Intel iCore processor, Lots of SDRAM, and then get a gaming monitor, and a gaming chair (I recommend DX Racer).  Consider it an investment, from which the ease of selling, earns you more and pays it all off as if it were free.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Windows XP

Not worth it at 80 yeas old

thlolpeekaboo2

Janet
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Windows XP

@janet-johnson 

I had XP for almost 20 years, with a number of special programs installed that I used daily (some that I wrote myself). It was an extension of my own capabilities. XP was the basis of my eBay life. As support ceased, and upgrades ended, I resisted moving to a new operating system because I would no longer be able to use those legacy programs that served me so well in the past. And the new computer interfaces were changing so significantly that it would take forever to adapt.

So I kept hanging on by threads— even as eBay moved into new programming that was only supported by newer browsers (on machines with more memory), limiting what I could do on eBay. I had thought I could hang on that way until I retired from eBaying.

But then, 18 months ago, my hard drive failed and I had to face that difficult decision. Retire from eBaying and start gardening, or get a new computer. At the same time, my 80 year old spouse decided we both needed to move from XP to something better.  I had to agree that I was so far behind on the computer-interface that any upgrade would be foreign, and that, with such a whopping learning curve, it really didn't matter what computer we chose next.

He took to his new machine immediately, exploring all of its new capabilities and adding new programs.

It took me at least 6 months to find my way around the programs I would need to use, and about a year to get muscle-memory comfortable with this new Apple machine (I type, rather than hunt-n-peck). The keyboard is wrong, the mouse is wrong, the screen is too big, and the text is too small.  I went through 2 different keyboards and a passel of mice before settling on something matching my motor memory. But I finally settled on running Win 10 on it. So, if I were to start over, I would probably just get Win 10 on a cheap PC.

However, the huge difference is that this Mac uses solid-state flash memory instead of a rotating hard drive. Have a desktop? Notice how noisy that whirring hard drive is on that old XP?  Well, this Apple thing is absolutely silent because there are no moving parts. There is no computer box either because memory chips are tiny, and there is no floppy disk or CD (rotating memory) —which could be troublesome if your data is archived on that sort of external media.  I've archived my data from my old machine to a couple of USB thumb drives, and moved that to my new machine.

If you are currently using a laptop, then a new laptop with Win10 or Win 11 would be the way to go.

I hope you are planning on spending more that a few more years on eBay, and on this earth. A new computer, while an imposition at first, could take you through the next ten years, and beyond. That's where my plans lie. 🙂

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Windows XP

Just curious, isn't security also a concern when using an older operating system such as Windows XP?

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Windows XP

@packratville wrote:
Just curious, isn't security also a concern when using an older operating system such as Windows XP?

@packratville 

Surprisingly, the older a system gets, the farther out of range that less-prevalent system becomes. Malware typically aims for the widest market, and older systems may not even have the resources that malware is targeting.

But it depends on the operator. A few years into the game, I removed the security packages that were bogging down my XP on eBay - so it remained loosely protected for 15 years.  The key to good security is to pay attention and don't stray off course.  Don't blindly click links and don't open email attachments you don't trust. Don't visit clickbait sites with embedded ads and popups that cause panicked confusion. Don't download freeware (they contain payloads). 

Security packages can sometimes cause complacency that results in recklessness, so even if security is up to par, a user must remain alert.  To that end, I've trained myself to hover every email link before I click (if I click at all); and to question every website, and every website link, that is not in my normal daily routine.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Windows XP

Interesting information, thanks! It makes me feel better about the older computer I occasionally have hooked up for a dedicated purpose in the garage. Fortunately, I essentially follow the same precautions you list no matter what computer I'm on or what security software is protecting them.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Windows XP

@shipscript wrote:

@janet-johnson 

I had XP for almost 20 years, with a number of special programs installed that I used daily (some that I wrote myself). It was an extension of my own capabilities. XP was the basis of my eBay life. As support ceased, and upgrades ended, I resisted moving to a new operating system because I would no longer be able to use those legacy programs that served me so well in the past. And the new computer interfaces were changing so significantly that it would take forever to adapt.

So I kept hanging on by threads— even as eBay moved into new programming that was only supported by newer browsers (on machines with more memory), limiting what I could do on eBay. I had thought I could hang on that way until I retired from eBaying.

But then, 18 months ago, my hard drive failed and I had to face that difficult decision. Retire from eBaying and start gardening, or get a new computer. At the same time, my 80 year old spouse decided we both needed to move from XP to something better.  I had to agree that I was so far behind on the computer-interface that any upgrade would be foreign, and that, with such a whopping learning curve, it really didn't matter what computer we chose next.

He took to his new machine immediately, exploring all of its new capabilities and adding new programs.

It took me at least 6 months to find my way around the programs I would need to use, and about a year to get muscle-memory comfortable with this new Apple machine (I type, rather than hunt-n-peck). The keyboard is wrong, the mouse is wrong, the screen is too big, and the text is too small.  I went through 2 different keyboards and a passel of mice before settling on something matching my motor memory. But I finally settled on running Win 10 on it. So, if I were to start over, I would probably just get Win 10 on a cheap PC.

However, the huge difference is that this Mac uses solid-state flash memory instead of a rotating hard drive. Have a desktop? Notice how noisy that whirring hard drive is on that old XP?  Well, this Apple thing is absolutely silent because there are no moving parts. There is no computer box either because memory chips are tiny, and there is no floppy disk or CD (rotating memory) —which could be troublesome if your data is archived on that sort of external media.  I've archived my data from my old machine to a couple of USB thumb drives, and moved that to my new machine.

If you are currently using a laptop, then a new laptop with Win10 or Win 11 would be the way to go.

I hope you are planning on spending more that a few more years on eBay, and on this earth. A new computer, while an imposition at first, could take you through the next ten years, and beyond. That's where my plans lie. 🙂

I run Windows 10 with ( Classic Shell ).

Classic Shell does not affect the operating system at all
so I am still running Windows 10, but for all intent and
purposes you can make it look and run just like Windows XP.

Classic Shell is not supported any more as far as updates
go so you can't use it with Windows 11.

It's free, stable and available for download if anyone wants
to try it.

Classic Shell
http://classicshell.net/ 

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Windows XP

If Ebay is the only site you use it for. I have had no problems other than the ones Ebay makes by changing the codes, so the XP cannot pull up pages. Like listing, Cannot list or revise listings any more.

thlolpeekaboo2

Janet
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Windows XP

Thanks for the article.  I haven't heard the word "passel" in far too long.

XP was awesome.  I'd settle for a copy on an offline PC just to play Command & Conquer again.

Skipped Vista and relied on Windows7 for the longest.  No more Chrome updates got me to

buy a few super-cheap IdeaPad 1's just to get used to Windows 11.  I put and use Chrome on one of

them and Norton Utilities flags low memory and registry errors every day.  It's like Microsoft 

punishes you for using something other than Bing to browse.  Is it any wonder some folks choose

Apple?

Message 10 of 10
latest reply