cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is this added to my description's html? <font rwr="1" size="4" style="font-family:Arial">

I just used this independent tool: (amazing by the way) https://www.isdntek.com/ebaytools/ActiveContentScanner.htm

This html code:   '<font rwr="1" size="4" style="font-family:Arial">'  is at the beginning of about 20% of my listings.

I have never added it.

Why is it there and can I remove it, along with the '</font>' at the end of my descriptions in question?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Why is this added to my description's html? <font rwr="1" size="4" style="font-family:Arial">

@reed-sales 

One of eBay's listing tools routinely added that code. All it does is make the font larger and define the font style. It was basically for listings with no HTML.

Since your listings have their own HTML styling, that code serves no purpose and should have no effect.  You can remove it or leave it. 

The only problem that arose with eBay's code was when sellers routinely revised their listings or reiteratively used sell-similar to create new listings. With each iteration, another set of font codes would be wrapped around the description. When the codes were nested over 200 iterations deep, some browsers could not parse the code and failed to display the description (the mystery of the disappearing description). 

If you feel compelled to remove it, another tool has the ability to revise descriptions in bulk and remove both eBay font tags and the file exchange logo within the description (along with a library of other options). If you choose to try the tool and need help, please ask.

https://www.isdntek.com/ebaytools/ActiveContentEditor.htm

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

@reed-sales 

One of eBay's listing tools routinely added that code. All it does is make the font larger and define the font style. It was basically for listings with no HTML.

Since your listings have their own HTML styling, that code serves no purpose and should have no effect.  You can remove it or leave it. 

The only problem that arose with eBay's code was when sellers routinely revised their listings or reiteratively used sell-similar to create new listings. With each iteration, another set of font codes would be wrapped around the description. When the codes were nested over 200 iterations deep, some browsers could not parse the code and failed to display the description (the mystery of the disappearing description). 

If you feel compelled to remove it, another tool has the ability to revise descriptions in bulk and remove both eBay font tags and the file exchange logo within the description (along with a library of other options). If you choose to try the tool and need help, please ask.

https://www.isdntek.com/ebaytools/ActiveContentEditor.htm

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 2 of 2
latest reply