cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does eBay app on iPhone make me sign in every session now?

I’m on my iPhone which has all kinds of security measures to make sure no one can get into my phone at all, also no one has ever even tried, so I have absolutely no reason to ever log out of ebay to have to log back in if it were a new optional security feature or whatever. For the last couple of years my eBay has been staying exactly as it was when I left it, I ALMOST started to forget how much I hate eBay with a firey passion… Recently not only has it been forgetting my last activity (NOT just recently viewed) but it’s been making me sign in every! single! time! Did I mention how much I hate ebay? Those times have become fewer and fewer because of this, now I only look at eBay when I forget about it, I’ve been buying everywhere else without ANY issues. Someone answered another different comment with them being in UK, I’m in Aus but if this issue is an Aus thing you can kick their backside for me. If you look at my expenditure before this issue vs after you’d see the exponential difference,  I tolerate ebay when it’s both the easiest and cheapest option, even though my phone enters all the details for me to sign in I still want to destroy it with fire. It’s either another example of how USELESS the app developer’s are (their powers that be, I’m sure there are competent people who are outnumbered and overpowered), or it’s another greasy move to steal our private information by making the new sign in options seem more appealing so you can sell our phone numbers to all the scam databases to make up some of the revenue the incompetence has cost! Did I mention I hate ebay? 
* I should clarify, I’ve only REALLY AND TRULY HATED ebay since I sold a $200 item using an account I’ve had for over a decade, and ebay wouldn’t let me touch a cent of it until I gave my banking details (including approval for debits at their discretion), along with every single other sellable piece of the most private and dangerous information that exists, in a world where breaches happen every day. Did I mention I HATE ebay?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Try deleting and reinstalling the app.   Sign in w/ your username and password,  after that your phone should show " trust this device" or "do not trust this device" -- select trust this device.  Once you do this you will not have to sign into the app each time.  As to providing all the info., this is very common on various platforms if you want to sell.  If you want to play in their sandbox, you have to follow their rules.  Good luck to you!

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Thankyou for your response sassykzt, I sincerely appreciate it. I will get to the seller thing in a second because that was the worst thing I’ve ever seen in any buying or selling platforms; as for the having to reinstall the app etc., I’ve done that more than once recently and multiple times overall… am I unreasonably crazy or entitled for expecting that something as established as ebay should have figured out more of their crap by now?? There are more bugs than any other app I use bar none, I’ve had nothing but iPhones for about 2 decades with the latest updates, my phone is not the problem. Then there are the sea of dodgy false advertising and misrepresentation of dodgy products to try and take money from customers who don’t pay close attention to what they’re buying, EBay has been facilitating it ALL for many years now, because ebay wants it’s cut of maximised thefts of course! I used to be able to search for what I wanted, now ebay has deliberately made it so that we can’t find exactly what we’re looking for at the price we’re looking for, the search algorithms ONLY show us what ebay wants us to buy from the highest bidding sellers (until after we purchase and ebay shows us the same items at a lower price that was hidden before so we buy another of the same item). The dodgiest of dodgy Chinese sellers have made ebay their **bleep**, and EBay has rolled over and let them have their way for short term money. I used to love eBay, I get that the entire paradigm has shifted, but ebay has become the unserviced public toilet of selling platforms, you have to look hard and carefully just to avoid stepping in human turd that people dumped on the floor, but it’s virtually unavoidable because ebay also busted out the lights so it’s almost pitch black inside, so at some point you’re stepping in it no matter how careful you are, all orchestrated by eBay who gets commission every time it happens! 
All the above is pathetic and disgraceful, but that’s not why I hate ebay… Here’s why:

What I was saying (but evidently not clearly enough), my biggest problem was not that we need to give all of that information in order to sell on eBay… MY PROBLEM IS THAT EBAY DID NOT ASK ME FOR ANY SUCH INFORMATION WHEN I POSTED MY ITEM, ONLY WHEN I WENT TO GET MY MONEY!!! Do you understand the difference? Throughout the entire advertising process I was given no hint that I would need to hand over a big list of LITERALLY EVERY ONE of the most private details an Australian can have, including perfect photos of my license (which took HOURS because the hologram made my pictures unacceptable) and most importantly; forced approval for direct debits, to be used at eBay’s will… AFTER ebay had already taken it’s payment for the sale!!! I asked ebay Au for a way around it to get my remaining money out, they were patronising and told me to bend over and take it (I may be paraphrasing a little), and that if I want any of my remaining $140 that I have to give them EVERYTHING… there are absolutely no other options short of leaving my money there forever. Unfortunately I have had some very pressing matters which are still going this year, but as soon as they finish I will be taking this to consumer affairs, the ombudsman, the office of fair trade/ACCC, directly to the state and federal government, and every form of media there is to show what eBay Au did to steal my information. Ebay knew that non businesses would not touch them unless they deceive us and then LITERALLY HOLD US TO RANSOM!!! It might fly elsewhere but international businesses officially operating in Australia have to follow our laws or else, and they took a giant dump on Australia with this (I had a quick look for specific legislation, couldn’t find anything but there are several bracket laws that were demolished)… I wonder if I can find any others in the same boat? The most screwed up thing is that none of the information they stole would be used lawfully by eBay, if they used ANY OF IT there wouldn’t be infinite seller problems that break ebay policies literally all the time… so what other things could our most private details be used for??? Please don’t mention any part of a privacy policy, the question was rhetorical. 
Did I mention how much I HATE eBay??

Message 3 of 3
latest reply