cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WATERMARK LOGO-Sellers are selling a lot of items with their watermark logo and that's a bad idea.

Hello, everyone.

I notice a lot of sellers are selling their items with watermark logos embedded in the item photos.

It's not a good idea to put a watermark logo embedded in the item photos because there are other resellers that would like to buy the item from you and use your photos and resell it to their customer.

It's a good idea just to use the item photos without a watermark logo then you will see that your sales will increase then the reseller will use your photos and show to their customer and it will generate good results for the eBay sellers and the generic resellers.

I hope that my comment will be helpful and the seller will remove their watermark logo to increase their sales.   

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

WATERMARK LOGO-Sellers are selling a lot of items with their watermark logo and that's a bad idea.

@tasifama wrote:

It's not a good idea to put a watermark logo embedded in the item photos because there are other resellers that would like to buy the item from you and use your photos and resell it to their customer.

It's a good idea just to use the item photos without a watermark logo then you will see that your sales will increase then the reseller will use your photos and show to their customer and it will generate good results for the eBay sellers and the generic resellers.

@tasifama 

That is exactly WHY those sellers put their logo on their photos. They don't want you to steal their photos, or use them as an unwilling drop-shipper by selling their items.

You're not going to get any support for your suggestion here. If the sellers wanted resellers to steal their photos, then they wouldn't have put their logos on them in the first place.

It's against eBay policy to for a "reseller" to do that anyway. You can't purchase an item to fulfill your transaction after the buyer makes a purchase. The only way you are allowed to drop-ship items is if you have a contract with a supplier in advance, which permits you to sell items that they will ship for you.

Message 2 of 35
latest reply

I don't agree with your comment on certain things that you mention.

It's very simple and easy to understand the logic:

Those sellers that use watermarks on their item photos don't sell almost anything, you can come back in 5 years and the item is still there because of that mistake putting watermark on the item photos.

Those eBay sellers that don't put the watermark logo you can see that they always sell their items and the buyers come back with more confidence to buy more items from them. 

Message 3 of 35
latest reply

Yeah, right.  Good luck with that.

Message 4 of 35
latest reply

@tasifama  wrote: It's a good idea just to use the item photos without a watermark logo then you will see that your sales will increase...

Do you have any proof of that?

The watermark is there for a very good reason. These sellers are tired of other sellers stealing their photos. It's the same reason companies have copyright protection of their intellectual property. You bought an item, but you did not buy the photo, thus you do not own it. If you purchase something to resell, why not use your own photo? If you bought it to dropship, you're already behind the eight ball.

Message 5 of 35
latest reply

Well I use to use a Paid serve for my Pictures.  Why would I do all the work so someone gets to use my server for free pictures?   This is a Business not a Free for all.  You have it all Wrong. Get Real

Message 6 of 35
latest reply

@tasifama wrote:

Hello, everyone.

I notice a lot of sellers are selling their items with watermark logos embedded in the item photos.

I hope that my comment will be helpful and the seller will remove their watermark logo to increase their sales.   

According to policy there are not supposed to be any watermarks, marketing material or ownership attributions.  The first picture has their website across the photo.  The other two you just need to add .com to the watermark to get to their website.  

There is so much stuff like this on eBay that the rules seem to be more of a guideline and not a rule that means much.  You could report them if you wanted to, and eBay "may" pull down the listing you reported.

As for using someones else’s pictures I would rather take my own photos.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-policies/picture-policy?id=4370&st=3&pos=5&query=Picture%...

Picture policy

When you create a listing or product, you must include at least one photo that is 500 pixels on the longest side, but we recommend including more to help increase your chances of a successful sale.

Photos are one of the most important parts of your listing because they allow potential buyers to see the item's exact condition, and help them decide whether to bid or buy. We recommend including more than one to help increase your chances of a successful sale.

What is the policy?

The following are not allowed:

• Photos that don't accurately represent the item
  • Placeholder images used to convey messages
  • Stock photos for used, damaged, or defective items
  • Photos with added borders
  • Photos with added text, artwork or marketing material
  • Watermarks of any type, including those used for ownership attributions

Photos must be at least 500 pixels on the longest side. For more guidelines see our Adding pictures to your listings article.

Message 7 of 35
latest reply

Which proof are you referring too?

You are wrong in your comment and it doesn't make any sense.

You don't know anything about being a good supplier or retailer that's why you wrote this wrong comment.

If a customer buy a lot of items from my eBay store definitely if the buyer ask me to use the pictures of the items from my eBay store or from my website for sure I will grant permission to the buyer to use my images, the buyer is giving me benefit then why should deny to use the pictures of my eBay store or my website? it doesn't make sense to do this.

Sometimes I take a lot of pictures of my items and post them on my eBay store or on my website and sometimes I see my pictures on other websites but it doesn't bother me. For me it is fine there is not nothing to lose if that happens. 

The biggest companies in the world use their images without any logo and all people on the internet use those images and they never take any actions against these people that use the photos of these companies.

If you purchase something to resell, why not use your own photo?

Answering to your question:

Most of the time people don't have the product in stock to take pictures to use their own photos or maybe they didn't receive their products yet and they have to promote the product to sell the item before it arrives etc.

If the seller put the logo on the picture of the items they will never sell the item that's for sure.

The customer will not trust you if they see the logo of your company specially when it is exaggerated like on the picture I've posted on this comment also on the item listing they will think that you are a scammer seller because a good seller never put their logo on the item specially on the eBay store.

Message 8 of 35
latest reply

@tasifama wrote:

The biggest companies in the world use their images without any logo and all people on the internet use those images and they never take any actions against these people that use the photos of these companies.

You have apparently never heard of intellectual property, DCMA, or VeRO.

Try searching these boards and read about all the sellers who have been restricted or suspended for using copyright pictures, with or without a logo.

Message 9 of 35
latest reply

@tasifama wrote:

Sometimes I take a lot of pictures of my items and post them on my eBay store or on my website and sometimes I see my pictures on other websites but it doesn't bother me. For me it is fine there is not nothing to lose if that happens. 

Maybe if you had your logo on your images, they would look you up and not buy from your competitor.

People don't decide to buy or not to buy because of a watermark on an image.

A lot of companies put a watermark on their stock photos to keep resellers from using them and they don't have any problems selling.

Have a great day
Message 10 of 35
latest reply

One more member wrong on this comment:

Who the heck pays for pictures to use on their eBay store????

Even if you buy photos on the internet it will be so cheap these days to buy a plan and you can get a thousand and thousand pictures just for USD$9.00 or less.

If you pay a photographer to take pictures for your eBay store is up-to-you but it doesn't make sense with all the technology cameras that smartphones have lately.

The comment  of this member doesn't  have any consistency and it doesn't make sense at all.

I will not continue to comment more to this member because his comment doesn't have an understandable consistency.

Message 11 of 35
latest reply

I'm not interested about that.

Message 12 of 35
latest reply

It's very easy to understand the logic that makes sense.

Look all the items at Amazon.com the sellers don't put their logo on the image of the items

and that's why Amazon sells more than any other company in the world.

At Amazon.com if you see some items with the sellers logo on the image of the items it's because those sellers are coming from eBay.com or any other place with the same wrong idea and they never sell the items.

Message 13 of 35
latest reply

@stephenmorgan wrote:

What is the policy?

The following are not allowed:

• Watermarks of any type, including those used for ownership attributions

I remember something a few years back coming from eBay on the forums, where they basically said that though this remained in policy it would no longer be acted upon.

Looking at numerous pictures on eBay that still seems to be the case.

Message 14 of 35
latest reply

@tasifama wrote:

@lacemaker3 wrote:

@tasifama wrote:

You have apparently never heard of intellectual property, DCMA, or VeRO.

Try searching these boards and read about all the sellers who have been restricted or suspended for using copyright pictures, with or without a logo.

I'm not interested about that.

Your statement is incorrect.

You should be interested, since your stated business model relies on stealing photos from other sellers, and violating eBay's and Amazon's policies on drop-shipping.

Message 15 of 35
latest reply