cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage organization

Hi, I have just started listing more items and want to be sure I can find them easily if they sale. In my active listings page there is a spot that says custom labels. Is it okay if I type letters here so I know what tub my items are in?  I think it will work easily but want to make sure it doesn't mess up my shipping labels or something else. I did try to find the answer but no luck.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Storage organization

Yes, it is! @fuzzeeslippers 

That field will not let you use the same Custom SKU for multiple items, so you'll have to treat your system accordingly.

Like if you have box # AA you may want to label your items AA-1, AA-2, etc

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Storage organization

@fuzzeeslippers 

Great advice from @wastingtime101  

That field will not let you use the same Custom SKU for multiple items, so you'll have to treat your system accordingly.
Like if you have box # AA you may want to label your items AA-1, AA-2, etc

Here is another tidbit on Custom Label (SKU):   eBay will allow you to search parts of your custom label, but only whole words. Whole words are separated by a space or hyphen.

Thus, you will want to put breaks in your SKUs wherever you want to search.

For instance, if your labels were AA1, AA2 and AA3, you would have search for each item.

If your labels were AA-1, AA-2, and AA-3, then you could search on "AA" and find all three items in that location.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Storage organization

Yes you can reuse the same "SKU"  number/letter . I have multiple listings that use PC3 for postcard box 3 etc.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Storage organization

Hey @solidguitar1961 

Thank you for your confirmation. Yes, you can generally use the same SKU for different items, but variations should have a unique SKU for each line item, so we may have a mixed bag here.

Sellers who programmatically list directly from their own server or external store would be limited to a unique SKU for each item, due to eBay's Inventory API relying entirely on SKUs to manage inventory.  Right now, many sellers are going through the motions of adding SKUs to their listed items because they want to list programmatically.  SKUs can be added in bulk using Seller Hub.

However, a small seller who does not plan that type of growth could use the same SKU repeatedly. 

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Storage organization

@solidguitar1961 wrote:

Yes you can reuse the same "SKU"  number/letter . I have multiple listings that use PC3 for postcard box 3 etc.

Ah, interesting. I just tested on some non-variation listings and you are correct. Good bit of info.

As shipscript mentioned, you cannot do that with the custom SKU field on variations so I thought it applied to all custom SKU fields. With variations if you try to use the same SKU on 2 items the system will kick out an error message whether you're entering them directly on the listing form, using the pencil edit icon in seller hub on a live listing, or when uploading files as ship mentioned.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 6 of 6
latest reply