cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is anyone else confused with the new eBay accounting of fees and deductions?

It use to be easy, now it seems like its too confusing to figure out how eBay arrived at my net sales total.

Also I noticed that I had a deduction of shipping from PayPal - isn't that now paid thru eBay??

I hope someone has a good answer to help me - it does not seem worth the cost to sell my items on eBay anymore (or try to figure out what/how my net sales total is).

thanks in advance, vaudyne

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

It's easy for me to figure... My Net = Item + s&h + taxes (where applicable)... x .883, less $.30/transaction. (My Fees = 11.7%)

- Then, I pay to ship.

I choose to have my shipping costs come from my attached bank account, so I have it set as the 'Preferred' method of shopping online in my PayPal wallet. MP debits my account through PayPal. You could use a CC, for example, too.

If you want your shipping costs to come from Pending funds, shimmy down to the bottom of the label page and change your preference from PayPal to Pending. It will become your new default, but can be changed at any time.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I actually find it much, much easier now that everything is itemized here on eBay and I don't have to go over to PayPal to see what fees I paid PayPal on any given sale.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@vaudyne 

When you create your listing, you will know what the final value rate will be for your category (it differs by category).

The biggest unknown ahead of a sale is the sales tax (which can vary quite a bit across buyer states) and whether that state taxes shipping. However, the fee on sales tax is probably the smallest fraction of eBay's final value fee.

The second unknown is calculated shipping, because we don't know ahead of time where the item will ship.

The unknown shipping cost can be resolved ahead of time with flat rate (or free) shipping.

After the sale, however, you will finally know where you are shipping, what the shipping will cost, and what the tax rate will be, since eBay will show you that information in your reports area of Seller Hub.

Need help anticipating your fees?

https://www.isdntek.com/ebaytools/SimpleEbayFeeEstimator.htm

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Vaudyne,

Yes, I find it confusing to say the least ☹️. None of the numbers on the "Financial statements" correspond to the "Payout" amounts reflected on bank statements or anywhere else I can see.

Apparently sellers have to do a calculation for every sale to see if the payout amount is correct, similar to what mtgraves wrote: "It's easy for me to figure... My Net = Item + s&h + taxes (where applicable)... x .883, less $.30/transaction. (My Fees = 11.7%). Then, I pay to ship." I'm not a numbers person, so this is probably why it's confusing for me.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply