cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downloading and saving reports with Excel

I've downloaded reports to Excel but not sure proper procedure to save. Is CSV file okay? Anyway, once it's on my computer and I go back to open it, up pops Text Import Wizard asking me a bunch of things I don't understand and the Excel file is all jumbled up! Also, is there a way to delete the columns from the reports before downloading? I only want a little bit of the information. Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

When the CSV file is ready to export from ebay, select it to be saved, rather than opened.  Then later you can click on it be opened in Excel or other spreadsheet, or even an accounting program, which it should do so without a problem.  

I don't know what this Text Import Wizard is.  What OS are you using?  What spreadsheet program is available?

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

You definitely want the report to open in the Text Import Wizard the first time if the file being downloaded includes tracking numbers. 

Without the wizard, Excel will treat tracking number as a number and store that number using scientific notation, with the result of truncating the tracking number. The result is a number that cannot be used to retrieve tracking information from USPS.

You need the Text Import Wizard to tell Excel to treat the tracking number column as text. 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I routinely save it as .csv and then open the .csv file and then immediately save it as .xlsx file (also an Excel program)

The simple change in file type makes it much easier to work with.

If you feel comfortable doing it you can also just change the .csv to .xlsx before you open it.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@sisterang 

Excel's "Text Import Wizard" will open when you try to import a file that has some other filename extension, like .TXT.  The purpose of that tool is to let Excel know what symbol is used to identify columns and then to declare whether the content of each column is numerical or just plain text.

eBay's CSV files should download with a CSV extension, however, some browsers may append a different suffix, such as CSV.TXT. So check your downloaded file to see what type it is, and then just change the suffix from TXT to CSV if that was the naming problem.

Which file are you downloading? Is it on the Reports tab or the Payment tab?

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

please send me Australia excel compete file with example

Message 6 of 6
latest reply