cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does ebay authenticate your brand name items before you sell?

Hello!  I'm new to selling, well it's been many moons since I last sold on ebay.  I recently posted a Michael Kors item which I had authenticated through them directly.  I do have some other brand name items I'd like to sell.  Does ebay have a service that I can use to authenticate any items?  I was once told there was a website that will look at pictures and authenticate. Do you all have any advice?  Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

eBay does not offer pre-sale authenticators. 

Even you having an item authenticated will not help your sales or return.

All the buyer has to say is "not as described" and no matter what paperwork you have they will get their money back. 

Advice for you as a new seller - #1 do not sell anything you cant afford to give away.

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Thank you!  Are the luxury brands listed on the website?  I couldn't find it.  Also, the link you shared, was that supposed to be something else?

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Thank you, appreciate it.  You brought up something I hadn't thought of, if the seller does say "not as described", they do need to return it correct?

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

As stated by @klhmdg , eBay does not offer pre-authentication services. The authentication services for luxury brands are only after the sale.  The seller will ship the item to the authenticator, who will then ship to the buyer (or will return to the sender if it is a fake or fails to match the description).

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/selling-tools/ebay-authenticity-guarantee?id=4644 

Because the item is authenticated to match the description, a buyer can not use that as a reason to open a return if your listing states no returns.  However, if you do offer returns, then a buyer can return an authenticated item, which will go back through the authenticator to prevent false returns.

eBay has another pilot program where a buyer can pay to have an item authenticated if it does not qualify for the automatic authentication program. But so far, that program is limited and I've only encountered it on a few listings (where it would cost the buyer about $80). 

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@su-69890  If the Buyer says not as described, it is up to the seller to either refund or supply the shipping label to return.

Once the item is returned, the Seller will need to refund the buyer.

High priced and known scam items may request a return as NAD and the seller gets a box of rocks.

eBay will not look at any proof and the seller will loose.

There are ways for sellers to protect themselves, sort of... but again dont sell what you cant afford to give away. 

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 6 of 6
latest reply