cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allowing buyers to combine purchases.

Ebay is now forcing most of my buyers to pay for each item upfront that I sent an offer out for. Before you could accept it, exit out of the payment screen WITHOUT paying, then go to your cart after accepting all offers and check out like normal. I have requiring a payment method deselected already in buyer management. I went through and made sure all 10,000+ listings do not have the immediate payment managed payments option. I cannot find any other setting to change to get it back to normal. I'm easily losing $20+ a month in transaction fees and wasting a few hours refunding all the duplicate shipping charges. Just today alone I've lost close to $4 in transaction fees because the site is making the buyer pay for each item individually to even accept the offers. When I send the offers to begin with I ensure that require immediate payment is NOT selected as well. 

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@theantiquelibrary 

eBay has, for over a year, experimented with autopay on offers, but only offers initiated by buyers. While initially affecting only a test group of buyers, that test was formalized last summer to affect all buyers. Then eBay started the process on bids, which still has issues to work out.  In all cases, the sellers were supposed to control whether autopay would apply to their buyers, as most seller complaints surrounded combined checkout. 

eBay next began looking at offers initiated by sellers. You must be in that group. In your case, it appears your buyers are forced into autopay, despite your account settings.

I encountered a seller recently whose accepted offers, or counteroffers, went into a 48 hour hold to allow the buyer to change payment method or details by taking the item through checkout. During that hold, the item remained for sale. This appears to be another test to allow combined checkout and change of payment method.

So the dust has not yet settled on this affair.

I will post the Buyer Requirement screen here for others who are unaware. The settings in question are at the very bottom of this screen.  The screenshot (below) is a few months old. When I now look at the same page, the Buyer Payment Requirements for "bids" has disappeared, and only the setting for "offers" remains. 

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements 

Account  - Buyer management 2023Account - Buyer management 2023

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Hi @theantiquelibrary 

Actually, you can turn the Auto-pay OFF for both Auction and Offers on this page near the bottom:  Buyer Management | eBay

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Deleted........

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I get some buyers who can send their shopping cart and request shipping total and I get some who pay for each item individually. I think some might be shopping on their iPhone and can't request a shipping total. And then there are those who know paying for each item will give them a feedback vs. maybe 2+ items will only get one feedback. I kinda give us figuring out what's going out. Refunding shipping comes out immediately from "available funds" as well as promoted items fees. I hate being in the negative so much. Plus that .30 charge for each purchase is a killer for the seller.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I said in my post that it is already disabled there. 

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Because I already do combined shipping by default across my listings, buyers aren't able to send invoice requests. The $0.30 charge for 9 orders this morning that should have been consolidated into a single purchase by default is outright robbery. 

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@theantiquelibrary 

eBay has, for over a year, experimented with autopay on offers, but only offers initiated by buyers. While initially affecting only a test group of buyers, that test was formalized last summer to affect all buyers. Then eBay started the process on bids, which still has issues to work out.  In all cases, the sellers were supposed to control whether autopay would apply to their buyers, as most seller complaints surrounded combined checkout. 

eBay next began looking at offers initiated by sellers. You must be in that group. In your case, it appears your buyers are forced into autopay, despite your account settings.

I encountered a seller recently whose accepted offers, or counteroffers, went into a 48 hour hold to allow the buyer to change payment method or details by taking the item through checkout. During that hold, the item remained for sale. This appears to be another test to allow combined checkout and change of payment method.

So the dust has not yet settled on this affair.

I will post the Buyer Requirement screen here for others who are unaware. The settings in question are at the very bottom of this screen.  The screenshot (below) is a few months old. When I now look at the same page, the Buyer Payment Requirements for "bids" has disappeared, and only the setting for "offers" remains. 

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements 

Account  - Buyer management 2023Account - Buyer management 2023

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@theantiquelibrary wrote:

I said in my post that it is already disabled there. 

@theantiquelibrary 

I turned mine off as soon as I learned eBay added it to my account.  They turned it ON again without me knowing it until a customer messaged me about it.  Now I check from time to time. 

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

This has been ongoing since they put the cart in and has NEVER worked right. They were in such a hurry that there was no way for those with phone apps to use it(no button to request new total) which still happens even not using phone app. They know all about it and have checked my store setting more time than I care to think about....1/2 the time an order will show up like it should and can combine. 1/2 the time it forces buyers to pay shipping on each item or adds(not combines) each together ( I have refunded as much as 35.00 to buyers as ebay tried to rip them off(they collect fees off every cent) and the rest of the time a buyers cart does not even show up in the seller hub notification(see pic from today where a buyer messaged me to combine the order in his cart) so I look at where it is SUPPOSED to notify me but.....hey it is ebay....

40 items LOL you cannot even combine 2!40 items LOL you cannot even combine 2!

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Keep in mind that the system in place before the cart worked near perfect....but we had to fix something that was not broke, rather than fixing real issues.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply