cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

:^/ Reopening Accidentally Closed Return Claims.

:^/ I opened a return claim when an item I bought turned out to be inaccurate. eBay told me that I had to wait three days first, so I closed my return claim until after the three days had expired.

Now it will not let me reopen it, because it has been closed.

Is this by design?

Does eBay want to make returns more difficult?

I want an answer from eBay staff.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Hi @mr._pseudonym 

The Community boards are manned by fellow members, who are capable of answering your question.

It is difficult to know the reason for the miscommunication between you and the CS rep.

If you opened the return request AFTER receiving the item … you had to give the seller 3 business days for the seller to handle the problem before you could ask eBay to step into the case.  The case needs to stay open during that time.

Once a return request is closed … it cannot be reopened.

I doubt that anyone is encouraging eBay reps to give out wrong information … but some people cannot admit that they don’t know the answer to a question, and will give an answer that isn’t entirely correct.

The Community Boards are usually an excellent place to get fast and accurate information.

Reading eBay’s Money Back Guarantee is extremely helpful as well.

You can file an ‘item not described case’ with either PayPal or your credit card company for your current problem, since you closed the eBay case.  You probably will have to pay the return shipping … but otherwise shouldn’t have any problem.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

After you open a claim the seller gets a number of days before they will answer your request to return item.

Closing the claim indicates the problem was solved. And you cannot reopen it. You can still email seller to see if you can return item or get a partial refund. 

I suggest when you have a problem you contact the seller first with an email and not just open a claim for a refund. You would be surprised how many sellers will work with a buyer to make them happy.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

I suggest when you have a problem you contact the seller first with an email and not just open a claim for a refund. You would be surprised how many sellers will work with a buyer to make them happy.

Hey @12345jamesstamps 
Just wondering how a seller would be able to provide a prepaid shipping label without a return being opened.  It seems that buyers often get stuck paying return shipping for a NAD item when they deal with a seller directly ... with no way to get reimbursed after the fact.  [Very interested in the exact process so that I can pass it on to buyers.]

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

So, I have never done an eBay shipping label. Hard to believe I guess. Some buyers can't do an eBay shipping label. Some of the senior citizens are more used to into going to a post office. My buyers are of the older crowd. I mail my items on the way to the gym so I get out often.

A seller can send a refund to buyer for postage in "item purchased" for return postage which buyer should make sure it has tracking with it. I have returns but buyers pay for shipping returns and never had a return after I added buyers pay for returns. 

My international buyers can't combine items in a cart and get a shipping discount so I always do a refund in items under "Refund shipping discount".

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

A seller can send a refund to buyer for postage in "item purchased" for return postage which buyer should make sure it has tracking with it.

Let's check your math here, @12345jamesstamps.

1. If you sell an item for $100 with free shipping

2. You refund your buyer $5 of that $100 for return postage to send it back

3. How will you refund your buyer for the $100 item when you get it back, since only $95 is left to refund?

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

You can ask the buyer for their email address for paypal and you can send them 5 dollars. You can also tell them that you will mail them a check or money order or simply put a 5 dollar bill in a piece of paper, fold it and mail it to the buyer.  

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Doing a shipping refund does not close it for future refunds. I prefer not to nickel & dime a buyer. Would it bother me to give 5 bucks for return shipping and also $100. for return item for a refund...no. My key and in my own opinion is getting positive feedback and repeat buyers.

It works for me. 

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps You can only return the amount that they originally paid. If you were responsible for return shipping and refund that amount from what they paid, then you won't be able to refund exactly what they paid because the cost of return shipping would be missing from the total. Basically, you are making them paying for their own return shipping.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

I bought something for 100$ on ebay and it says delivered last Friday it never came. I co contacted ebay ans they said contact the seller which I did and she said she working with ebay insurance to get a refund. Today it says seller declined the return and the return is now closed

How do I dispute and get a refund for a package I never received 

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Not sure why you tagged on to a post that was from June, 2023.

However, your message is confusing.  You state you did not receive it and then you mention "return".

If you did not receive something, it's unlikely that you could return it.

If tracking shows that it was delivered, but you did not receive it, you need to contact the courier and find out where it was received and if it was addressed correctly.  Then there is the possibility of porch pirates.  

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@mr._pseudonym wrote:

Does eBay want to make returns more difficult?

It is one of the easiest thing possible on the internet.

You made it difficult, not ebay

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: