cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Global Shipping Returns window 30 days? Do I pay return shipping?

Hi There. I need advice. I sold an item to a UK buyer and used global shipping. ( I am in the USA). The item was delivered on August 31st. Nearly a month later after delivery the buyer states they were on holiday and only just now able to see the item. They said the glass item had a scratch on it and were disappointed.

The buyer stated they may open a return which would be very costly to me as far as return shipping charges and customs fees here in the USA? I feel like the buyer really doesn't "want" to return the vase but rather is fishing for a partial refund even after having it for 30 days!!

My question is two-fold. If they open a return will I have to pay the return shipping cost from the UK or the less expensive global shipping cost?

Also the buyer received the item 30 days ago. Can they still open a return after 30 days?

Any suggestions on how to handle what could be a problematic case?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

@postfiftymodern 

Did you actually use the old Global Shipping program?  It has been removed in favor of the new EBay International Shipping (EIS)  which has different policies.  

Assuming that the buyer has up to 30 days after DELIVERY to file a claim they many be cutting it close. 

Under the GLOBAL SHIPPING (GSP) or  EBAY INTERNATIONAL STANDARD DELIVERY (EISD) (both of these have now been replaced) the seller was responsible for funding the shipping back from the international destination back to the US. 

If EIS was utilized the whole return thing is supposed to be eBay's problem, but should you get notice of a claim, you may need to remind eBay of same. 

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Assuming you used ebay's EIS...

If the buyer does a return, ebay will handle the return. There will be no cost to you.

The buyer has 30 days to do a return through ebay.

After that they can still do a "chargeback" with their credit card company.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

I just checked and EIS was used so that makes me feel a bit better. Thank you for the kind reply and good info!

Message 4 of 4
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: