cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I recieved a box that had an empty box from another laptop in it.

Won an auction from a 1st time seller for a 17.3" laptop, I received a USPS package and inside was an empty box from a 13.5" laptop. Seller states he packaged and shipped everything and that I must be scamming him. He did agree to a refund stating he better get the 17.3" laptop that he shipped to me... I will be printing the shipping label and sending him back the same empty box that I got.

I have a video with a timestamp of mail truck driving past and off screen, and 15 seconds later a woman without a uniform comes with the package and scanner. Package is too small to fit a 17" laptop.

I then have an unboxing video that shows his tracking label and that I received an empty 13.5" laptop box.

I am at about 98% that he is scamming me and at about 2% that something funny happened during shipping as the package was in Denver Distribution Center for 23.5hours on a Thursday. I told the guy to go to USPS and pull video and wight information.  From the limited discussion between us he claims the package he sent was a size larger and the wight was 5 times more than what I received.

I sent him YouTube links to my videos but it looks like he never even looked at them. Does eBay block links in messages?

Should I just ship it back?

Wait 2 days and escalate it with eBay as I know he will claim I sipped him an empty box?

Police report? USPS mail fraud report?

This would have been my 3rd primary laptop purchased from eBay.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

You need to file an item not as described case.  Click the return this item button and choose that.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@simba6 wrote:

@ghostswt wrote:

I will be printing the shipping label and sending him back the same empty box that I got. 

You need to file an item not as described case.  Click the return this item button and choose that.

Why @simba6 would OP need to file an item not as described case again?

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Actually, I couldn't figure out from the OP's first message that he actually DID open an item not as described case with eBay.  If he did that, then, yes, he needs to return to the case and escalate.  

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

That is what I did, return item because it was not as described.

Update: seller requested ebay to investigate, case put on hold while ebay looks into this.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

The shipping label should have had a weight printed on it.

Did you also take a photo of the shipping label?

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

It was an at home printed shipping label, that label does say 12lb and a larger box size then what I got. I took pictures and videos off all.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

There is still something strange here.  If you actually opened an item not as described case with eBay, the seller should have sent you a prepaid return label.

Maybe someone else here has heard of eBay investigating a return case, but I never have  and it seems fishy.  Have only had to do three returns in my eBay career.  In two of them, I was sent a prepaid return label almost immediately.  In the third, seller refunded and told me to keep the item, also very quickly.  

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I mean the label on the box I received was an at home printed label by the seller and not USPS printed.

The return label is a computer/eBay generated from eBay site.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

It was not clear if he had filed a case yet.  Only one can be filed anyway.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: