cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Told Me a Return Would be Closed In My Favour but Closed it For the Buyer and Took My Money

I recently had a return request come in where the buyer complained the item was new and had arrived in different packaging. I responded that it was listed as New Open Box and therefore was correctly described.

He opened up a return case so I called Ebay, the representive told me to let the case expire and it would be closed in my favour. I followed the instruction but Ebay closed it in the Buyers favor, now the case is closed with no appeal option, I've lost my item and my money.

What is this ebay? Where is ebay's accountability in this?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Ebay Told Me a Return Would be Closed In My Favour but Closed it For the Buyer and Took My Money

The rep gave you bad advice. When you didn't accept the return your buyer had the opportunity to ask eBay to step in. When eBay is asked to intervene they will always side with the buyer,  whether you asked them to help or the buyer. They will refund the buyer from the sellers account, allow the buyer to keep the item and also give the seller a defect for cases closed without a seller resolution.  
Sorry , but you should never get eBay involved with your business. 

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

@seekers_cove wrote:

the representive told me to let the case expire and it would be closed in my favour. 

You need to read and understand the MBG and what it means for you as a seller.

You need to know it backwards, forwards and sideways....and even if you think you understand it you need to be in these forums to make sure you do.

You did not understand the MBG so you got taken advantage of by an overseas call center CSR who just wanted you off the phone to keep their call numbers high.

You are out of options on ebay now.

You should have accpted the return, issued a return label and gotten your item back.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

As a rule, sellers will lose any not as described case.  The reps will tell you anything they think will get you off the phone.  They are watched and if a call goes over the time limit they get dinged.

As others have stated, always accept the return.  It's not like you have a choice anyway.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: