cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer's Remorse Return and Original Shipping Label Costs

I have a question- Today, I am a top rated plus seller and a buyer started a remorse return.  I offer 30 day free return shipping. I understand I have  to pay for the return shipping label. But my question is on the original shipping costs.  Per what was requested on the return by the buyer, the only amount shown is the price of the item and not the original shipping costs. So, when I receive the return, what do most sellers do?   Do you stick with only refunding the amount of the item on the remorse return or do you refund the original shipping costs also (even though you are not required to do so?)  And has anybody received negative feedback here from a buyer for only refunding the amount of the item and not the original shipping costs ?  Thanks so much. 

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

When the option to not refund original shipping cost that is what I have gone with,  Only refunded original shipping.

I have not received negative feedback for those remorse returns. YMM as some buyers are "entitled" and do not expect to be held accountable for their actions.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

"Top Rated Plus"...will negative feedback be removed by eBay as a TRS? That's the question.

If not..I would not take a chance....waking up in the morning and seeing that negative feedback for a year.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Thanks for the response, more than likely I am going to just refund the original amount of the item and not the original cost of shipping.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

You offer a free returns. That means that you should be refunding the total purchase price  (which includes the original shipping charge) plus return shipping.  To do otherwise makes you a dishonest seller.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Hello, thanks for the response. I called EBAY last night and they said because I accept free returns, that very likely the buyer won't have the option to leave negative feedback once I give them the refund for the item and if they do, because of my TSR status, I would very likely be able to get it removed. The issue with me is, not only am I paying the return label, I also have to eat my original shipping cost so if I continue with supplying them back what they paid for shipping, I am out almost $30 in shipping which is more than the item itself. Again, in the past, I refunded it all , even with remorse returns, but in this situation, I will very likely not be refunding back their original shipping .  I will see how it goes. Thanks again.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

If they paid the original shipping, you can deduct the shipping from the refund.

On remorse returns, I've always deducted the shipping they paid and haven't had any problems.

Have a great day.
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

When the option to not refund original shipping cost that is what I have gone with,  Only refunded original shipping.

---------------------------

My post was not clear/correct. Should have read;

When the option to not refund original shipping cost (paid by the buyer) is there, that is what I have gone with,  Only refunded original item buyer payment shipping.

That was the "default" seen. If I remember correctly there has been an option to toggle for me to include a refund of original shipping paid by the buyer, but no reason that I should pay $$ for remorse.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I am not a dishonest seller. Never have been. Please look at my feedback.  Every time I have supplied back the original shipping, even on remorse returns. But I sent this question out to the ebay community because I am getting more and more of remorse returns lately as I sell more. This particular one was.."changed mind." So, I already have paid for the shipping to get the package there and I am paying return shipping. In addition, I am supplying back the money for the original price of the item.  And, Ebay for remorse returns, when you go to the page to refund, they actually have it where the original shipping is not paid back to the buyer. The seller (me) actually has to toggle to give the original shipping amount back to the buyer.    

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Thank you for your helpful response!!

Message 10 of 10
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: