cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appeal Approved by eBay and Denied Hours Later.

This going to be long, but bear with me. Let me first say that I'm not a high volume seller (perhaps that makes a difference), but I have been with eBay since it's infancy. Over my 22 years with them I've maintained a 100% feedback rating and always do my best to ensure that my buyers are happy. 

I sold a brand new (in the manufacturer's packaging) Thermador microwave for $1300 as a pick-up only item. The buyer purchased their own shipping label through UPS and emailed it to us to affix to the box. UPS picked it up and prior to delivery opened a "damaged item" claim internally. They DESTROYED the item and delivered a box full of broken glass and sharp metal that had been taped back together and was missing the styrofoam inserts. UPS admitted fault for the damage. 

The buyer is new to eBay and when they received the box, immediately filed a "not as described" claim with eBay. eBay put a hold on on my funds while things were sorted out with UPS. Final ruling? The buyer DID NOT declare a value for the item when they purchased their label, so UPS only refunded them their shipping charges of $317.33 and another $84.70 for damages. Their total payout to the buyer from UPS was $402.03. The said that they would have paid the full amount if the value had been declared when the label was purchased. 

The photos and transcripts with UPS were uploaded to eBay throughout the process. The night before the eBay case was to close, I spoke with someone regarding the negligence of the buyer to list a declared value for the shipping label.  He took copious notes and gave me an appeal claim number. He explained that the case would close in the buyer's favor, but to file an appeal and that "he was confident that we would win the case". I filed the appeal the next day, but ran out of room to include the appeal number that the rep had given to me the previous night, so I called eBay to make sure that his notes would be included in the appeal I submitted. This agent also said that I would win the appeal. That night I received the following email .....

Hello Kirsten,

My name is Novelyn thank you for contacting eBay costumer service  regarding the item “Microwave MB30WS ” (266457217641) sold to “ccboca”. I appreciate your time and effort in wanting to resolve this case, item is listed as described. I know that you try your best to provide good products and service to your buyers and I highly commend you for that. A decision was made on this case and I'm glad to inform you that your appeal is granted.

I’ve reviewed this case and your concerns with the returned item. With this being said we're not holding you responsible for this case. As a result, I took the initiative to close the case in your favor. Your funds will be released within 24-48 hours. Furthermore, this case won’t count against your seller performance standards.

Here is a link to help you set this up and this also gives you protection from buyers who file false return claims:  

Thank you for your cooperation and patience about this matter. We greatly appreciate your loyalty and your continuous business with us.

Kind Regards,

Novelyn T.

eBay Customer Service

Six hours later, I received an automated email from eBay stating that the case was closed and they weren't able to give me a refund. HUH? A few minutes later I received another email from eBay stating that since the item wasn't returned, they were denying my claim. It was hazardous material that could not, under any circumstances, be shipped and purchasing a shipping $317.33 label for shattered glass and sharp metal was not an option for anyone. eBay was aware of this since the first day of the initial claim. 

Thinking that there had been a mistake and that the denial emails were sent out in error, I called customer service again and spoke with a supervisor named Amanda who was very kind, but insisted that there was nothing that could be done and their decision was final. Apparently, The Great Oz has spoken. 

I'm so disappointed, angry, confused, and just sad that a company that I've supported for so long has handled this so poorly. I have done nothing wrong. I don't have the item to resell to recoup the loss. I had $1300 stolen from my account. All I did was tape a label to a box and have been penalized for it. 

If you've made it through to the end, I thank you for taking the time to read my rant. I just needed to vent this morning. 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Hi @*persnickety* 

I’m so sorry this happened.  I believe the origen of the problem was your affixing the buyer’s shipping label on the package … before releasing responsibility for the shipping to the buyer.  [That would be done by scanning the QR Code during local pickup.]

You maintained responsibility for the condition of the item during transit … but couldn’t file the insurance claim because you didn’t purchase the label yourself.

You can try contacting eBay on social media (Facebook or Twitter) … which is where the most competent CS reps are currently found.  Explain everything … and maybe they will be able to help in some way.  Good luck!

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

@*persnickety* wrote:

I sold a brand new (in the manufacturer's packaging) Thermador microwave for $1300 as a pick-up only item.

The buyer purchased their own shipping label through UPS and emailed it to us to affix to the box.

UPS picked it up and

DESTROYED the item and

delivered a box full of broken glass and sharp metal

that had been taped back together and was missing the styrofoam inserts. 

That box is not designed to be shipped. Those boxes are only intended to be transported stacked in a group on a pallet, held tightly together with plastic wrap.

Once you agreed to switch from local pickup, you must double-box that box with ample padding, to ship it.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Bottom line, you ship it. You will be held accountable for the item getting to the buyer in advertised condition. There is a no way around that. You’d expect the same service and guarantee if you were the buyer. 

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Bless your heart... we empathize. Next time you list as 'Local Pickup', stick to your guns. Good luck moving forward.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: