cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

filter Parts Only items

Is there any way to filter out items listed as Parts Only while searching. Some cell phone listings have at least 20 Parts Only to 1 functional phone.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

filter Parts Only items

To exclude a word from your search, put a minus sign in front of it.

So searching for

"iphone 6" -parts

should return listings that have "iphone 6" in the title, but do not

include the word "parts".

If you want to exlude listings that contain the phrase "parts only"

but still want to include listings that have "parts" in the title, try

searching for

"iphone 6" -"parts only"

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

filter Parts Only items

Adding -parts to your search argument WILL NOT eliminate many, many items where the sellers are designating "parts only", but not putting it in the description. I see many items are designated "parts only" , but those words are NOT in the description.
Message 3 of 18
latest reply

filter Parts Only items

After doing a search, check the filter menu on the left side of the page.

Under "Condition", select "see all" -- then check the categories you

are interested in: "New", "Refurbished", "Used"; leave "For parts or not

working" unchecked. Then apply the filter.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

filter Parts Only items

seems that eBay has removed this ability....you used to be able to see all types of conditions in the 'list all' filter, now that no longer is the case....now its only 'new', 'used', 'not specified'.....

no longer a way to filter out 'for parts, not working' ?.....why would eBay remove that?....

smh

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

filter Parts Only items

ok, i see that i am sort of right and sort of wrong.....apparently the more generic your category is, the less likely the full 'condition' list is availble to filter on.....

if you go down to the category "Cell Phones & Smartphones" level, THEN the full list appears....

up at the "Cell Phones & Accessories" category level, you only have 'new' 'used' 'not specified' option....

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

filter Parts Only items

After "see all" is selected I only have "new," "used," and "not specified" as condition options. "For parts or not working" is not an option.
Message 7 of 18
latest reply

filter Parts Only items

Yes, ebay removed that option and for the life of me, I do not understand why, other than..

it will provide a lot of unintended unwanted traffic to sellers who list "parts only" defective items

Cause these to be bought by accident, by customers who think they are getting a good deal

In the end customer is left screwed and unhappy.

Ebay: please bring back the ability to filter out garbage [for parts only] from search. I do not want to ever buy a "for parts only" item and if I accidentally buy one I will return it.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

filter Parts Only items

@prismapex

What are you searching for?

I still see the "for parts only" filter after I do a general search from the search bar.

For instance, when I search for 'iphone 6' without quotes, then scroll down the page looking at the filters on the left side of the screen, I see the following options under condition:

New (1,875)

New other (see details) (1,312)

Manufacturer refurbished (3,547)

Seller refurbished (8,872)

Used (7,143)

For parts or not working (2,162)

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

filter Parts Only items

I see: 

Condition

• Not Specified (1,368)

Then I can click "SEE ALL" and then see:

New (1,334,671)
    Used (9,300)
    Not Specified (1,369)

Nothing shows "for parts or not working".  Do you still see that? Curious. Obviously, eBay has something screwed up if we see it differently, and obviously has something screwed up if they remove something as helpful as this filter.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

filter Parts Only items

Wait a second.... I didn't use your search. My search contained -kit -protective -this -that... bunch of "not terms". When I use your search I see what you see. Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Seems like if you put in your own "filter" with -this, -that, then it changes the filtering and shows a different list of filters which do not include "for parts or not working."
Message 11 of 18
latest reply

filter Parts Only items

Well, that's better than nothing, but I don't want to see protective cases, ear buds, replacement glass, covers, cords, etc. I should be able to eliminate those down to actual phones!... and then eliminate "for parts or not working."
Message 12 of 18
latest reply

filter Parts Only items

OR:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: I should be able to eliminate ear buds, replacement glass, covers, cords, etc, and get it down to actual phones, and then be able to select "for parts or not working", which I forgot is what I actually wanted to do at that time. Looking for a parts machine.
Message 13 of 18
latest reply

filter Parts Only items

eBay's search has some quirks to it, so where you end up depends on what route you take. If you start with a general search, then narrow down the categories, there are some extra filters that come into play. For phones, there are filters for individual model numbers and operating systems and memory and screen size and even CDMA vs GSM. Once you start using those filters, that should eliminate most of the extraneous accessories and cases without having to resort to exclusion terms. I think using exclusion terms interferes with the ability of eBay's search to figure out what you are looking for and present you with the appropriate filters.

Just today I noticed that my under the "Recently Viewed" section on the main page, eBay is pushing a series of pocket squares and handerchiefs, "Because you recently searched: -tie". Uh, thanks.

In searching, the trick is to strike a balance between false positives (the search finds things you aren't interested in) and false negatives (the search eliminates things that you are interested in). For really rare items, it's better to wade through some false positives to find a gem, than it is to miss it completely with too narrow a search. For more common items, as long as there are good options to choose from, I don't necessarily mind if I'm not seeing every possible match.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

filter Parts Only items

While the searches can be refined the root of the problem is that sellers are listing accessories and parts in the main category. There are sub categories for parts and accessories but the sellers don't use those categories because they want buyers to see their items even of they are not looking for them.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply