cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Store URL

Hello, I've had an eBay personal account for 20 years.  I recently opened an eBay store and have a subscription to the "Starter Store" package.

When I set my store up last month, I used a store name that I really didn't like, but knew I could always change it later.  About a week later, I came up with the name I want to use permanently, so I changed the store name, but the store URL still shows the old store name.

I've contact customer service about this several times.  They even sent me the link on how to change my store URL so it reflects the new store name, but nothing works.

Then customer service said that feature was no longer available and that someone from the IT department would have to manually change it.  

Now they are telling me there's nothing they can do to help.

It's confusing to customers that my store name is one thing and the store URL is a different name.  

I don't know what to do here.  Since it's a new store and I don't have many followers, could I just close the store?  If I do that, will be listings revert back to my personal account or will I just lose them all together?

I have 71 items in my store now, so don't really want to have to repost everything either.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

eBay Store URL

@housetr 

A few years ago, you could change the store URL, but not any more.

If you cancel the store, you won't loose your listings, they'll be just like it was before you subscribed to a store.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

eBay Store URL

@housetr 

The only method now available to sellers to change the Store URL is to close the store and then open a new store with the new name and URL.  Your listings will continue to run without the store. Check your subscription "early termination" costs before deciding when to close the store.

However, after closing a store, eBay will hold that name and URL for 30 days in case you want to reopen the store. So, since you have already changed your store name to your "permanent" name, you would have to wait over 30 days to use it on a new store and get the new URL. Keep in mind that someone else could snap up the name after 30 days.

There are two ways to handle the 30 days:

1) Close your store, wait over 30 days with no store, and open a new store with the permanent name to get a matching URL.

2) or, change your store name to something temporary. Use that temporary name for over 30 days while waiting for your "permanent" store name to become available again. Then close the store with the temporary name and open a new store with the permanent name.

After opening the new store, your listings will be imported, but you will need to manually move your items to the new store categories.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

eBay Store URL

@housetr wrote:

I've contact customer service about this several times.  They even sent me the link on how to change my store URL so it reflects the new store name, but nothing works.

Then customer service said that feature was no longer available and that someone from the IT department would have to manually change it.  

I see posts all the time devon@ebay where CS sends someone a link on how to change their store URL, but the ability to change store URL was deprecated several years ago. Seems like CS internal help pages need to be updated on this topic since it's not possible to change a store URL. The advice posted above by shipscript is the only "work around" to the problem.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

eBay Store URL

@wastingtime101 wrote:

@housetr wrote:

I see posts all the time devon@ebay where CS sends someone a link on how to change their store URL, but the ability to change store URL was deprecated several years ago. Seems like CS internal help pages need to be updated on this topic since it's not possible to change a store URL. The advice posted above by shipscript is the only "work around" to the problem.

Thank you for this @wastingtime101 and we will make sure to share this with those teams so they are aware. 

Devon,
eBay
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

eBay Store URL

I have the same issue. I updated my Store name, and the URL stayed the same as the OLD name. Frustrating. Luckily, if you use the Advanced Search feature to search for the NEW Store name, you DO get to my store, so at least that works. Maybe no one will look at the URL (LOL!). 

I'm in the process of changing all kinds of things!  :0

Message 6 of 6
latest reply