cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with unpaid items

My awaiting payment items keep changing the sale dates.  I have 3 items awaiting payment one of them sold a week ago and the other two 2 & 4 days ago. Every day the sale date advances to yesterdays date so even after a week I cannot cancel due to nonpayment.  

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Sometimes sending a new invoice can restart the four day countdown, so if you are sending out additional invoices, stop doing that.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

If that is the case, and I don't doubt that it is it is still a problem that eBay needs to fix.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Unless the buyer is combining multiple items, there is no reason to send invoices, eBay does that for you. Buyers know they bought from you, extra invoices on top of the ones eBay sent, both as reminders and original one, should not be needed. If they are not going to pay, they are not. There really is nothing to fix, you sending extras, is literally telling eBay you are allowing more time for buyers to pay. 

If the buyer does not pay in 4 days, on the 5th cancel for non-payment. More invoices from you will not force them to pay. Forcing them to pay could result in returns or credit card charge backs later. 

You might think about turning on the instant payment option, if you can. Once you accept an offer or as a buy it now, instant payment would be required by buyers. 

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

You're statements aren't really accurate.  eBay may send out an initial invoice, or not (there were issues with that also earlier this year).  Buyers don't always recognize that you accepted their bid if they are dealing with more than one seller.  We have in the past sent a reminder invoice with a message as a courtesy on the 3rd day, and gotten many responses that they appreciated it because they didn't see the initial invoice, or realized they won it.  So you can't assume that the initial invoice actually was seen. My sending of an additional invoice should not tell eBay we are allowing more time.  Blatantly false...we are warning the customer it is about to be cancelled if not paid on.  With this new issue of the date changing to the most current date doesn't ever get you to the ability to cancel the order because they haven't paid.  So that is the real issue here.  We are not even sending out an updated invoice and the date is changing to the current day each day.  Not accurate, and eBay needs to address it.  Also as for choosing immediate payment isn't a factor here.  The only way you can get immediate payment on the managed payment platform is if they buy it outright.  If bid/offers were in play they have up to 4 days to pay regardless if that option is chosen on your listing.  

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@partintimesgf wrote:

My awaiting payment items keep changing the sale dates.  I have 3 items awaiting payment one of them sold a week ago and the other two 2 & 4 days ago. Every day the sale date advances to yesterdays date so even after a week I cannot cancel due to nonpayment.  

List Only buy it now with 'immediate payment' option. Not accepting offers This is the ONLY way to ensure that you get paid right away.

Otherwise, you will continue to experience nonpaying / late paying buyer the same as everyone else that does not require "immediate payment' option.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

We just reported this to eBay, and they said that this wasn't even on their radar as a problem.  So hopefully this will start to be looked at now, and we can get this fixed.  This definitely is annoying and problematic...

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

I contacted eBay about this a couple days ago, and the representative I spoke to said it was a known issue that was being worked on. They said it should be fixed within 24 to 48 hours. I will call them back tomorrow morning if it is still not fixed. A few of them have messaged me to say that they are unable to pay and are not receiving the invoices I’m sending. eBay suggested that I ask the buyers to cancel the orders and then relist the items at the offer price. So far, the buyers are frustrated and just want to cancel.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Best advice I can give is once auction ends eBay will send an invoice and I also send an invoice . this way buyer has been notified by me and eBay . If no payment is received in allocated time which in most cases is 96 hours . I file a non paying bidder request , block the buyer from ever bidding on my item , and relist . 

I don't even wait for combine shipping if the buyer emails me . I let them know i'm more than happy to discount the shipping on any other items won within 4 days but original item needs to be paid within the allocated time frame . 

It might sound cold for me to do this , but like yourself I have been burned more than once so it is what it is .

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

A "fix" is already available.  The buyer saw the invoice at the end of the listing/auction.

There is no need to send more invoices.

If a CS rep said they are working on this, it was a reply designed to get you off the phone.  

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@thriftybob wrote:

I contacted eBay about this a couple days ago, and the representative I spoke to said it was a known issue that was being worked on. They said it should be fixed within 24 to 48 hours.

That's a classic line from CS and never true.

@thriftybob wrote:

A few of them have messaged me to say that they are unable to pay and are not receiving the invoices I’m sending. eBay suggested that I ask the buyers to cancel the orders and then relist the items at the offer price. So far, the buyers are frustrated and just want to cancel.

I've read a few posts about buyers not receiving invoices. However, if you tell the buyer to go to their shopping cart @thriftybob then proceed to the checkout page, before paying they should see everything reflected accurately including combined shipping adjustments sent through an invoice.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@reviveretro wrote:

We just reported this to eBay, and they said that this wasn't even on their radar as a problem.  So hopefully this will start to be looked at now, and we can get this fixed.  This definitely is annoying and problematic...

It's working the way it was designed. The system assumes that if you're sending an invoice it's because you're making an adjustment to the cost, therefore the clock is reset and buyers get 4 days to pay.

There's generally no reason to send an invoice unless you have to make an adjustment, for example combined shipping costs or adding another shipping method the buyer requested.

eBay sends out payment reminders to buyers automatically. Sending invoices is a duplication of efforts and clogs the buyer's inbox.

Sending an invoice locks in the shipping cost. That could have a big financial impact on someone that uses calculated shipping. The shipping price gets locked in based on the buyer's default location, but if they change the address at checkout to have that item shipped to Mom across the country, that shipping cost can change by leaps and bounds and seller is out the $$.

Finally, sending an invoice resets the clock on when an order can be cancelled for non-payment when sellers handle UPIs manually. The automated system will cancel based on the seller's settings regardless of sending an invoice, but when you use the manual process and an invoice is sent it resets the clock, giving the buyer an additional 4 days before the system will let the seller cancel.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

At the end of the listing or auction, the buyer sees the invoice he needs to pay.

Don't think there's such a thing as not receiving invoices.

But you really need to stop sending more invoices.  Unnecessary and delays the process even more. 

Message 13 of 13
latest reply