cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the changing of custom search settings to Best Match when cookies are cleared a glitch or not?

If this is a programming or coding glitch, it needs to be reported to the I.T. dept. and addressed ASAP!

If this was an intentional change, whoever came up with the idea should be fired.  We already have enough problems with ebay's searches, without throwing more roadblocks in our way. I've used a utility to clear my cookie cache for years, without having to reset my search sort preferences each time I login. 

Forcing us to allow a build up of cookies slows down devices, and causes the occasional site function glitch. We set our Sort preferences to suit OUR way of shopping. Forcing people to have to keep resetting the preferences, because we choose to clear out cookies, will drive more people away from the site, since many have set their browsers to clear cookies when we close them, or schedule utilities to clear them.  

If this was an A.I. generated change suggestion, it is more proof of how unintelligent "Artificial" intelligence is. Not to mention the lack of common sense many people who use A.I. do not possess. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Is the changing of custom search settings to Best Match when cookies are cleared a glitch or not?

So many search settings and filters are changed without input and against user specific settings. Even valid search results can be removed after the search page is loaded, the currencies displayed can be swapped without notice and the shipping & sort settings ignored (in the case of search results being removed it is visible in total results # changing & when force stopping the search page before the results are removed to view completely valid search results that get hidden). In many cases a reset to a default settings is used (regardless of user specific settings) at different points in the process. It can occur in the initial fetch where the user search settings are not a part of the input or get ignored in the process, and also after a page appears/loads (while scripts complete which is harder for users to detect a change).

You hit on the best workaround when the settings are wrong for the initial fetching of data which is to perform a second request with the updated search sort setting (reset the search order button).

It is harder if the results and information shown is changed after the page loads where a user sees the information in one context and then midway down a page it switches context. The only solution I found for this is to never trust Ebay search. Sadly third party search services are the only solution to the Ebay search setting distortions. No one can have a lightning fast finger all the time to stop the results being edited mid page load completion.

When the switch of search settings get really bad e.g. sellers items disappearing from search views and having currency issues can cause a loss in sales or misleading buyers on cost then it becomes quite a serious issue with no resolutions. For sellers there is often no way for them to know their items are disappearing from views unless a very attentive buyer with a lightning fast finger contacts them to let them know but then there is nothing sellers can effectively do to stop the errors in the search scripts for other buyers looking for their items.  Hence until Ebay fixes its search errors just advise people away from Ebay search. Third party sites have less AI errors anyway which is better and more accessible for everyone (where breaching the accessibility standard of robust understandable actions of a program to the inputs is something that affects a wide cohort of users).

Message 2 of 2
latest reply