cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Include description broken

Ebay made a code change late last Thursday (4/19) or early Friday that has caused the "include description" button to not work the same as before.  If I type in key words AND choose a category from the main drop-down box, my checked "include description" stays on and works as it has for many years.  However, when I change my key words and DO NOT select a category from that drop-down box (ie. stay in the category I was in), the "include description" automatically goes un-checked.  Happens every time since late last week.  As an everyday ebay searcher, I believe this is something they need to correct as a bug from the most recent code change.  If you didn't realize the box unchecked itself, you'd miss out on a ton of listings that you would no longer see.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Everything I tried resulted in the include description checkbox staying checked on the searches using Firefox 3.6.24

Try another browser, and/or include more details here on EXACTLY what you are doing (where you are starting a search, browser used, example keywords and number of results, etc)
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Using Firefox, with Sort set to "Newly Listed" and the display set to 100 records per page....type in "pennant" in the top search box and select "Collectibles" as the category, and hit search.  Then click "include description" and hit search again.  Then type "banner" in the same drop down box and hit search...the include description box goes unchecked when the next page comes up.  Still happening today and I noticed this first happening two Fridays ago (4/20) when ebay apparently did some minor display changes.

Also, I search ebay nearly every single day and have done so for 15+ years.  Not a major bug, but fairly annoying when you are changing search parameters quite often and have to keep re-checking that box every time.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Firefox 31 and FF52. Started clean searches at ebay.com/sch/ searching for pennant in collectibles. Changed to newly listed, checked the include description box, and searched again - the box unchecked (I think due to the newly listed bit, because any changes like back to ending soonest and re-searches after that did not uncheck it)

Changed search term to banner and searched. Changed search back to pennant and searched. Added banner to pennant and searched. Played with going back to ending soonest and then back to newly listed again. In all cases Include description stayed checked.

Unless I misread your search flow and did it wrong, I'd say you have a browser issue (another eBay glitch when using latest or newish versions of Firefox maybe?)

I's easy to fix using a GreaseMonkey script with about 20 lines of code to make sure the checkbox is checked every time the page loads if that is how you roll, but requires installing GreaseMonkey addon in Firefox.

Something to try might be grabbing a copy of Firefox Portable 52.7.3ESR, install it, and see if that version does the same thing, or if search behaves the way it used to. See this thread for info on Firefox portable:
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Promoted-Listings-Won-t-Launch-Select/m-p/28391618/hi...
Message 4 of 4
latest reply