cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has EBay been hacked? Erroneous offers appearing on Overview page

Hello, has eBay been hacked? Erroneous offers, obviously spam since they have an excess of exclamation marks, notate 10,000 free listings and expire in 2038, are appearing on my seller's overview page (see attached).   

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

@blugrassthrift wrote:

Hello, has eBay been hacked? Erroneous offers, obviously spam since they have an excess of exclamation marks, notate 10,000 free listings and expire in 2038, are appearing on my seller's overview page (see attached).   

Hi @blugrassthrift, I can confirm that this issue was identified and resolved by our tech teams shortly after it occurred. We apologize for any confusion this may have caused and encourage you to contact Customer Service if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Considering that eBay should know who were the users who received this offer they should have sent users like you a message explaining what happened. Also there was not mention what they would do for user who used the offer and incurred listing fee's because it was invalid.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I wonder if Devon Wenig was trying to send these to himself (or everyone) before he resigned? Smiley Indifferent

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@greg5000 wrote:

I wonder if Devon Wenig was trying to send these to himself (or everyone) before he resigned? Smiley Indifferent

Devin Wenig ...

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@3eyedfishcatcher wrote:

Considering that eBay should know who were the users who received this offer they should have sent users like you a message explaining what happened. Also there was not mention what they would do for user who used the offer and incurred listing fee's because it was invalid.

Hi @3eyedfishcatcher, there are no members who were able to activate these offers, as they were invalid offers. Anyone who attempted to do so would have simply run into an error. When reviewing conversations here within the Community, the overwhelming majority of sellers who saw these offers assumed that they were not valid offers, so no widespread announcement is needed. The time period in which these were visible and the low volume of members who have contacted Customer Service about this gives us reason to forego sending out a notice to sellers and instead we will address the few conversations here on the board and any additional contacts to Customer Service that may come up.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

So, I suspect that many more users had this issue than ebay suspects. There is no way to send a screenshot to ebay, there is no tech support link that I can find, the people who answer the phones almost never understand technical issues and are no help. I finally gave up trying to report this issue and posted a message to ebay's facebook page. They responded within 24 hours and told me that there were no technical issues, that it was probably just my account, then came back a bit later and said that it was in fact more widespread than they had originally thought. I feel that most users who experience tech issues can't be bothered to spend so much time and effort to report them and just wait until they go away and that ebay does not have a clear picture of how widespread tech issues are.   

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

eBay has been hacked .... my accounts are a mess too.  First attempts were in July and then wamoooo.   eBay managed payments is a mess too And have not been able to pay me for three weeks now.  They refuse to let me opt out while they are sitting on nearly 3,000 of my money. 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply