cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adblock slows down Ebay search for PC/desktop

I've just noticed this on both Chrome and Firefox for Windows PC.  If I have Adblock on, it takes a long time for search results to load.  While the page is loading, I am unable to access the Best Match drop down menu.  It is pretty frustrating having to wait for results to load and while I have now turned off Adblock for Ebay, I don't think it is an optimal or even obvious solution for everybody.  My fear is customers will just give up if the results are slow and filtering is clunky.

Here are few images from Chrome to help explain.  The first image shows the activity loop circling around as the page slowly loads.  It is the blue semi-circle in the top left corner.  It just loops and loops and loops.

slowbrowser1.jpg

The second photo indicates that there is a drag with waiting for monitor.ebay.com  (the blue background text at the bottom) -- sometimes it is pulsar.ebay and other times just ebay.com itself that is causing the wait.

slowbrowser2.jpg

Third image shows the Best Match dropdown menu that I am unable to activate while waiting

slowbrowser3.jpg

I've seen this issue discussed on the Reddit forums, so it seems to be a known issue.  I hope there is a fix Ebay can implement or instigate.  I don't mind turning off Adblock for Ebay as a seller, but I'm sure lots of casual buyers might not feel the same way and just leave in frustration should they encounter this issue.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

There may be a particular Ad Block setting or a particular rule -- if you are implementing custom rules -- that is causing this issue. If you can identify and disable that rule, you may be able to continue to block ads on eBay without slowing down your search.

In the past, the "Anti-Circumvention" filters, the filters that try to block page elements that appear to be using certain techniques to get around ad blocking, have been associated with problems displaying certain sponsored listings. It could be that those filters are being triggered by sponsored listings or something else in the search results and ultimately slowing down the page load. Try disabling those filters in your Ad Block settings.

eburtonlab_0-1680792548506.png

If you are using Ad Block Plus, the anti-circumvention filters are part of the ABP filters.

eburtonlab_1-1680792616994.png

If you are unable to speed things up with Ad Block, you may want to try another ad blocking option. In addition to Ad Block and Ad Block Plus, I have had good experiences with uBlock Origin.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Thank you.  I use AdBlockPlus.  It seems to improve greatly if I turn off ABP filters and leave EasyList on.  I still hope it is something Ebay might consider correcting.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I just started having this problem this morning (Fri. 6/7/23).
I noticed that something was briefly throwing up this

error/message/warning at the top of each search screen...

=======================================================

AD BLOCK SLOWING FIREFOX copy.png

===============================================

Following eburtonlab' s always excellent advice,

I turned off the ABP filters and the problem was solved.

Thank you eburton.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

You are very welcome -- thanks for responding!

Message 5 of 5
latest reply