cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account hacked and Ebay were no help

Hi there. The other day my account was breached by hackers who made 5 purchases. I cancelled my bank card when I woke up, filed a fraud report and contacted the 5 sellers to ask them to cancel the sales. Some were codes (?) for games apparently and 2 sellers refused. Anyway, Ebay agents were no good. The first one sypathised (through chat), reveiwed the purchases and advised me to contact the sellers and wait, then acknowledged that this was urgent and provided me with a link to a call centre in the US/ Canada that doesn't work. The UK phonelines don't seem to be working. She then left the chat without helping me. Luckily my bank has stepped in and I'm not out of pocket.. however the sellers who refunded me might be (although I'm still not sure how this all works). The main thing is that I want to contact the fraud/security team at Ebay to report this and to ensure that nobody is out of pocket. We were all scammed. This has been keeing me awake the past 2 days.. is there any way to actually contact these people and to get a call back or even a reply? I have the transcripts of the chat etc. but this is literally stressful and such a waste of time and energy. The second agent I spoke to on the chat didn't help at all and left the chat within a few minutes. I will be deleting my account after this but want to make sure that the sellers that were kind enough to send me back my stolen cash are not left short. The bank will not help with this (rightly so), this is Ebay'sproblem. They know that a third party was using my account as they sent me an email to say this, hours after the transactions had taken place. Obviously, I unlinked my card, cancelled it and my partner reckons the details were put on the  dark web as I had hundreds of emails sund=scribing me to all sorts from the same night. How do I officially log this  with Ebay security/fraud? It's a nightmare and they are zero help. Thanks

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I would have another go with the online chat option.  Did you follow this link in the “Help and Contact” section?

https://www.ebay.ie/help/call_us?type=ContactUs&topicId=4000&l1label=Managing%20your%20account

IMG_4619.png

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Yes,  thank you,  I tried the online chat and the agent posted a link to a call back number that didn't work unless you are in the US or Canada. When I tried calling the number (I'm in Ireland) it told me that the phonelines are closed.  When I tried the UK/ IReland number it just gives you an automated reply that it will list options or provide a link to an article. Like I said the agents on the chat did not help at all,  one just said that it was a matter for the security team (and posted the link I mentioned above) and then exited the chat. The other didn't even do that, just sent me a message saying I would receive a transcript and that she hoped she had helped. Then also exited the chat. It's so frustrating! 

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

File a chargeback with your credit card company 

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Have you tried contacting eBay in Ireland through the specific link on this page?

https://www.ebay.ie/help/account/protecting-account/get-help-hacked-account?id=4196

Otherwise, you can contact eBay via social media:

https://twitter.com/askebay

https://www.facebook.com/eBay/

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Be sure to save the chat transcripts off of eBay messages.

I've only used chat twice, and both transcripts are curiously gone now. They're not in archive or any other folders. They have apparently been deleted - and certainly not by me.

I would try using the Facebook link provided by eburtonlab above. Those are actual employees who work for eBay, not contractors like the chat or US/Canada call center contractors (who're actually located in the Philippines), but real employees located in the US. 

I've seen a link to the Security team on these forums somewhere. I will go look for it. 

Good luck!

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Well, I was not able to find it. I did find a comment in my bookmarks lining out the ways to contact eBay. Unfortunately, it says anyone outside the US has to use the chat function. That is absolutely unconscionable in my opinion.

Here is the link to the comment:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Is-there-anything-I-can-do-about-this-So-disheartening/m-p/340...

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Thank you so much for all of your help.. I'm so grateful. Yes, I think that to have such a large trading community where all the business is online and no way to talk to someone when something like this happens is a disgrace. I'll be deleting my account. I can't believe you can't even send them an email. I downloaded and saved all of the messages.. the bank have helped but they're right,  ebay is actually responsible  and this was a serious security breach of their website. When you go to report it, there is no way to do that and no accountability from them! Thanks so much again everyone! 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply