eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Re: Final Value Fee For Shipping????

in reply to coloradojudd

Ebay appears to have serioulsy lost touch with how their members view them.  

Charging Sellers a fee for an expense that the Seller never has any connection to?  There needs to be a law enacted for this kind of price manipulation.  What right does ebay have to add a charge against me for money that we never had access to?  The shipping cost is born on the buyer generally, then the shipping payment goes to the courier, then the Seller pays a fee on that?  Ridiculous Ebay!  

Its obvious that ebay made a strategic deal with shipping companies that is designed for the giant sellers in mind, not the little guy who made Ebay what it is.  You sold us out ebay!

And now with shipping costs going through the roof?   In fact it seems like UPS and USPS tailored their costs as well with these big ebay deals in mind.  Thus locking us in to having zero options.  You're squeezing us ebay all for your profit making greed.  

I've been on ebay for over a decade but with the liberal fees God we need alternatives so you don't become any more of a monopoly.   

Then there is the sometimes ludicrous Return Policy which invites abuse and scams of their own against the seller.  Ebay didn't think this through.  

Remember, ebay Sellers are also ebay Buyers, so you need to also take equal care of sellers.  The fees are out of hand.  

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to postmaster

So basically EBAY wanted to make sure they got a cut of this $99 shipping charge by adding a fee to shipping?  

Ebay doesn't have a right to tax the Seller on a portion of a sale that the Seller never sees.  The funds go to a third party who makes the profit, yet the seller gets docked for it?  That's stealing from members in my book.  

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd
hidy-hoo to the rescue! `*Thank you, Hidy!*`
I'll have to upgrade my device soon (meaning my brain)!
In spite of the name, my `mobile` is not so agile when it comes to copy/paste.. so I'll just remain a lil' pecker for now, lol! :smileyhappy:

Thanks again, Miss Funky Town To Hell and Back! ROFLMAO! That post killed me! :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
calebbay812
Community Member

in reply to munik-fl

If shipping an iPhone cost you $22, your an idiot.

Please use plain text.
hidy-hoo
Community Member

in reply to goodlittlekitty

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Ebay-Down/m-p/22276982/highlight/true#M271280

Hi, kitty ~ nice to see you back in our neck of the woods, fondly known as the Part Time eBay Sellers "group home" ~ word game is still here ~ just sayin'!

You are right ~ your link is missing some characters (and so is the PT group ~ :smileyvery-happy::smileysad::smileymad: ~ (sorry, couldn't resist ~ just a little side joke!) ~ When I want to copy/paste, I just "blue out" the URL in the address box ~ copy it and then paste ~ like I did up there ^^^^^

@goodlittlekitty 

How much better would life be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire?flickering flame photo: flame flickering small Flame.gif
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd
Can someone tell me how to copy/paste the following as a link? I must be missing some characters? Thank you.

community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/EBAY-DOWN/m-p/22986347#M346649
Please use plain text.
slocode111
Community Member

in reply to plarson

I seriously don't think eBay even knows what they want. They want to promote everything for everybody and they can't seem to do any simple thing very well. eBay needs to keep it simple and to FOCUS on one thing at a time until they get it right.

eBay isn't very clear about what their goals are or what their core values are and I think this is because they are more beholden to their share holders than to their customers.

----------------------------------------------------o00o---°(_)°--o00o----------------------------------------------------------------------

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd
If it's not cost-effective to sell $9.99 items, don't sell them.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mothergalaxies

ebay want to be amazon -they are trying to get rid of auction style listings . that is what i think

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to slocode111

first off if we raise cost of item no one will buy it. bubble wrap tape ink paper are we suppoused to eat those sosts on a 9.99 item. ridiculous. ebay was started as an auction house. which is what it was intended for, now they want to be amazon.I have been doing this since 1998. I think they dont want auctions anymore. free shipping is **bleep**. I would have to raise price of most itrems 12.00 or more. the shipping calculator does not work right . it gives the wrong cost for items in buyers favor humpf!

Please use plain text.
slocode111
Community Member

in reply to p20vline

p20vline wrote:

I my self like messing around with eBay's accounting system by not paying my seller fees when they are due,,,EBAY used to be fun but not anymore.

It sure sounds like eBay is still fun for you!

----------------------------------------------------o00o---°(_)°--o00o----------------------------------------------------------------------

Please use plain text.
p20vline
Community Member

in reply to mavisandminnie

No eBay are not allowed to this but eBay think because they are so big they can do whatever they want. I my self like messing around with eBay's accounting system by not paying my seller fees when they are due, but i only do this for a month or 2 any later than that then ebay sting you an extra 1.9% for when the fees are not paid. My opinion is **bleep** eBay with all of their fees especially with their ILLEGAL PayPal fees. EBAY used to be fun but not anymore.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to marinernl

The bad sellers caused this.  I have been on eBay since 1998.  They used to not charge a fee on shipping, then sellers would sell a $100 item for $1.00 and charge $99 shipping and thus only pay 10 cents FVF, eBay saw this and began FVF on shipping.  The bad thing is if you list and item where based on weight it can be computed, there is no profit and it should not get a FVF, but still does - tape, boxing, and packing material are not cheap.  The bright side it is the largest venue for items anywhere, so a fee will always be involved.  We just sold some items at a local auction (due to size and weight) and the fee was 20%, and no reserve was allowed, there were less than 100 people there, whereas eBay you have millions of potential buyers.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd

I just sold an item for $16.50. Ebay cahrged me a FV fee of $1.65, = 10%.  The shipping was $6.94. Ebay cahrged me a FV fee of $0.69, = 10%.

I paid my shipping label thru Paypal and paid a fee of $0.98 over the shipping amount, = 14%.  This is getting out of hand. Have to find something else!!

The real fun of selling like this, is completely gone.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd

I know this is insane. I almost never use it anymore becuase of the insane fees and paypal buyer protection. WHere is the seller protection? Im not a million dollar company who adjusts for losses like that

Please use plain text.
komokwa
Community Member

in reply to mavisandminnie

Oh they so can........and they do !!!!

adjust your selling price to include the calculated fees ......and you won't worry about them again.

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to munik-fl

I'm new to ebay, and its going quite well as far as sales are concerned but the fees on the shipping has me second guessing.....I'm mean you get final value on the shipping charges and Paypal (owned by ebay) Gets a fee other there. I'm confused? Can they do this?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to slocode111

A while back I tried to charge $20 for shipping an iPhone. eBay told me that I wasnt allowed to do that because it was an unreasonable price, so i had to so it for $8.00. So I have to buy shipping materials,  pack it for free, and pay for insurance. All in all, it cost me about $22, not including my time packing it and waiting in line at the shipping store. Then eBay stuck it to me and took another $0.80.

EBAY WHAT THE HECK!

Without the sellers, ebay has nothing. If they keep nickle and diming us to death, we'll go away and they will have a pile of nickles and dimes.

Please use plain text.
slocode111
Community Member

in reply to mothergalaxies

I think that a net 15% of sales is pretty cheap when compaired to gallerys and consignment shops who have 0.00001% of the traffic that eBay has. A Normal consignment shop would charge at least 30% and a Gallery or Antique shop charges between 30% and 50% of the selling price.

The difference for eBay is that they don't often have to deal with the costumers directly, display, describe, pack & ship the items being sold. That's why they charge less than a B&M venue.

I'm still trying to understand how a 10% FVF gets to be an overall 14+% expense. (It must be the FVF on shipping so I have to look at the 4% as some kind of strange "Shipping Agent" fee.

I started to keep my sales amounts seperate from my "shipping fees recieved" but I think it would be less complicated, from a book keeping standpoint, to list ALL money derived from sales (shipping included) as a single amount and then deduct the money paid to eBay and to the USPS, from my sales income.

It wouldn't matter if I listed the item as having Free Shipping or charged a shipping fee, the FVF would be the same either way. This works only if I have calculated the true shipping cost into my "Free Shipping" listings, which can be problematic. (best to fudge a little in my favor on shipping)

Please use plain text.
mothergalaxies
Community Member

in reply to anonymoose99

Dont you think that is the point?

To push us out of online business.  Just an observation. 

Please use plain text.