eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

komokwa
Community Member

Re: Final Value Fee For Shipping????

in reply to mavisandminnie

Oh they so can........and they do !!!!

adjust your selling price to include the calculated fees ......and you won't worry about them again.

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to munik-fl

I'm new to ebay, and its going quite well as far as sales are concerned but the fees on the shipping has me second guessing.....I'm mean you get final value on the shipping charges and Paypal (owned by ebay) Gets a fee other there. I'm confused? Can they do this?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to slocode111

A while back I tried to charge $20 for shipping an iPhone. eBay told me that I wasnt allowed to do that because it was an unreasonable price, so i had to so it for $8.00. So I have to buy shipping materials,  pack it for free, and pay for insurance. All in all, it cost me about $22, not including my time packing it and waiting in line at the shipping store. Then eBay stuck it to me and took another $0.80.

EBAY WHAT THE HECK!

Without the sellers, ebay has nothing. If they keep nickle and diming us to death, we'll go away and they will have a pile of nickles and dimes.

Please use plain text.
slocode111
Community Member

in reply to mothergalaxies

I think that a net 15% of sales is pretty cheap when compaired to gallerys and consignment shops who have 0.00001% of the traffic that eBay has. A Normal consignment shop would charge at least 30% and a Gallery or Antique shop charges between 30% and 50% of the selling price.

The difference for eBay is that they don't often have to deal with the costumers directly, display, describe, pack & ship the items being sold. That's why they charge less than a B&M venue.

I'm still trying to understand how a 10% FVF gets to be an overall 14+% expense. (It must be the FVF on shipping so I have to look at the 4% as some kind of strange "Shipping Agent" fee.

I started to keep my sales amounts seperate from my "shipping fees recieved" but I think it would be less complicated, from a book keeping standpoint, to list ALL money derived from sales (shipping included) as a single amount and then deduct the money paid to eBay and to the USPS, from my sales income.

It wouldn't matter if I listed the item as having Free Shipping or charged a shipping fee, the FVF would be the same either way. This works only if I have calculated the true shipping cost into my "Free Shipping" listings, which can be problematic. (best to fudge a little in my favor on shipping)

----------------------------------------------------o00o---°(_)°--o00o----------------------------------------------------------------------

Please use plain text.
mothergalaxies
Community Member

in reply to anonymoose99

Dont you think that is the point?

To push us out of online business.  Just an observation. 

Please use plain text.
usamindy990fvr
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to benzeel909

Even after Paypal stop holding your money for the unreasonable amount of time they do as a new seller, EBay will still charge both final value fees and final value on shipping fees. I don't get the shipping fee part when I ship from the post office. Maybe that means that buying postage directly from EBay won't really be cheaper because they charge you a separate shipping FV fee. Or maybe it means that you may as well use EBay for your postage at a slightly lower initial cost because you're going to pay a final value shipping fee no matter how you get your postage.

Please use plain text.
usamindy990fvr
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to sfca2011

I agree. I guess I didn't read the never-ending fine print on EBay fees well enough before I started and found that both EBay and Paypal take a piece of the action. I can understand it because each is making a fee for their service. However, EBay alone charged 14.22% of my selling prices in just their fees not counting Paypal fees. That seems excessive.

What I really don't like is their final value fee on shipping. With both fee types, they are making nearly 15% of my sales which seems excessive. Why would they be entitled to any fee on shipping that I totally handle myself and buy at the USPS anyway? I've been burned many times even when I use their setting for actual postage even when the package is weighed and measured properly. Too often, I end up paying more to ship they EBay calculates for the buyer. I am still learning, but on smaller-priced items, that can put you in the negative fast! If you raise your price on the item to try to add cushion for costs, it may not sell because your price isn't competitive for the item. Catch 22. Hopefully, I will master all this soon.

Please use plain text.
benzeel909
Community Member

in reply to sfca2011

Pay Pal holds the money when you are a new member. It will stop doing that eventually.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd

relatively inexperienced in all the Ebay/PayPal nickle-and-diming BS even for low-end items. I have sold high-end stuff on Amazon though and it doesn't quite seem like they're gouging me or tricking me like EB and PP. Maybe it's just more up front. I don't like the underhanded feel of my most recent three experiences. How many pages of text must I read to understand all the fees? Also why does PayPal have to hang on to my money for three weeks after I sell something? That's the part that really irks me.

Please use plain text.
komokwa
Community Member

in reply to phartie_posting_id

yes, yes that's our forecast too.....

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to komokwa

suppose to be a be- u-ti-ful weekend here in Bawstan. hope the same for north of the 49th parallel.

Please use plain text.
komokwa
Community Member

in reply to bronx-dog

see that newspaper in your siggy.......

open it up and read the date...........................it's late Aug here..!

Please use plain text.
bronx-dog
Community Member

in reply to komokwa

one of the nicest Aprils on record here...

It is April... right  photo original1.gif

Please use plain text.
komokwa
Community Member

fine....muggy and hot...till the t-storms rolled in........

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to komokwa

not the point. title of thread is Final Value Fee For Shipping????

i don't pay a fvf on shipping 

i pay a fvf on total sale price, just like the buyer pays for an item, $20 for the item + $10 s&h or $5 for the item + $25 s&h, total price paid.

beautiful day here in bawstan, how was montreal?

Please use plain text.
komokwa
Community Member

and you don't increase your price to offset the shipping cost...?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to komokwa

glad they're grabbing it from everyone else, i use free s&h

Please use plain text.
komokwa
Community Member

in reply to apostle_22

It only took a few bad apples( TO GIVE EBLECH AN EXCUSE )  to ruin it for everyone, WITH THIS HUGE CASHGRAB !

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to anonymoose99

I understand why they did it.  I remember seeing these clowns selling something for .99 cents with $59 shipping.  It only took a few bad apples to ruin it for everyone.

I think ebay should not charge FVF on shipping when you buy postage through them for actual cost.  So if I sell an item and ship it in a small flat rate box and the standard rate of 5 and some change, I shouldnt be charged by ebay for a FVF.  I am totally cool with them charging FVFs for anything over the regular rate.  So if I charge 10 to ship and the actual rate was 5, charge me a FVF on the 5 dollar profit I made.

Please use plain text.
komokwa
Community Member

in reply to komokwa

Oh....SWOOOOOOOSH !!!!!!!

Please use plain text.