eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Community Member

Final Value Fee For Shipping????

Holy Crap,

ebay now charges final value fees for the price of shipping????
I charged $7.15 for shipping an item in a listing.
It cost me $7.15 to ship that item.
Ebay charged me a $0.72 final value shipping fee.
I lost money.

What Crap!
The response was from customer support was that this was an improvement to ebay to encourage free shipping.
How the heck can I afford free shipping?
The small time seller is getting pushed out of ebay.
Guess I'll stick to Craigslist.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Final Value Fee For Shipping????

in reply to coloradojudd
Well I can understand this to an extent, I mean if someone is selling something worth $200 and they charge $10 + $190 shipping, they just got away with avoiding it. But if its a legit shipping charge thats kinda BS, but theres no way to fix that really. I think in certain categories shipping should not be counted as a fee until a certain point, to prevent the above from happening.

Also free shipping? Thats hard to do, its $5 to ship most ebay items besides cards and coupons.
If you give a mouse a cookie.......... he will sell it on eBay.
Please use plain text.
hondamedic
Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd

Hi DefaultDealerGuy and welcome to The Part Timers Forum! We're neighbors! I'm on the Taxachusetts/Cow Hampshire border.

Want to know why eBay did this? These are from the same seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-LARGE-RED-CHRISTMAS-ORNAMENT-COOKIE-JAR-CANDY-DISH-/360383468389?pt=LH_Defau...

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-TELEFLORA-THOMAS-KINKADE-VOTIVE-HOLDER-cottage-/360383469878?pt=LH_DefaultDo...

Yup.... Start 'em at 99cents & charge 10 bucks S&H. Then they get a bidder that wins multiple items and wants a discount which they give and then complain about paying fees on the discounted S&H, http://forums.ebay.com/db2/topic/Seller-Central/Shipping-Fvf/5200017261 

BBL: Blocked Bidder List... BIN: Buy It Now... BO: Best Offer... BR: Bid Retraction... DC: Delivery Confirmation

DSR: Detailed Seller Rating FB: Feedback FRB: Flat Rate Box FVF: Final Value Fee IPR: Immediate Payment Required

NARU: Not A Registered User OP: Original Poster OT: Off Topic PM: Priority Mail.... PS: Power Seller....

SNAD: Significantly Not As Described...... TRS: Top Rated Seller...... UIA: Unpaid Item Assistant..... UID: Unpaid Item Dispute
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd

I agree with the comment on cheap price + high shipping to avoid fees as the real reason for this change. eBay cannot track and cancel all these fee-avoidance type listings so we are all being punished. I too am angry that eBay charges a fee on shipping when I did all the shipping work.

My suggestion to eBay is to not charge a fee on shipping if the seller uses the built-in shipping calculator and prints the label through eBay, especially when using USPS flat-rate shipping.

All we sellers can do for now is not use the built-in shipping calculator and markup the shipping fee to cover our costs.

Please use plain text.
hondamedic
Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd

Morning Bill and welcome to The Part Timers Forum!

My suggestion to eBay is to not charge a fee on shipping if the seller uses the built-in shipping calculator and prints the label through eBay, especially when using USPS flat-rate shipping.

Sorry, don't think that's going to work. If the seller knew to charge a high S&H to avoid fees they could set the weight for the item high and accomplish the same thing. You have to think like a thief to see these things so obviously you're not. So what does that make me?B-)

BBL: Blocked Bidder List... BIN: Buy It Now... BO: Best Offer... BR: Bid Retraction... DC: Delivery Confirmation

DSR: Detailed Seller Rating FB: Feedback FRB: Flat Rate Box FVF: Final Value Fee IPR: Immediate Payment Required

NARU: Not A Registered User OP: Original Poster OT: Off Topic PM: Priority Mail.... PS: Power Seller....

SNAD: Significantly Not As Described...... TRS: Top Rated Seller...... UIA: Unpaid Item Assistant..... UID: Unpaid Item Dispute
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd

I think this is TOTAL B.S. being charged a final value for shipping. There is no "Value" There is no "profit"  I recently sold a pair of lamps for $50. This is a large heavy pair of lamps requiring adequate packing, and a big strong box. I charged $37.50 "flat rate" to ship them. Although I packed the lamps myself, my own materials, processed the shipping online using my FedEx account, and delivered the lamps to a FedEx location, this pair of lamps cost me $45 to ship!  I lost $7.50. Then I checked my invoice and Ebay charged me $3.3? something "FINAL VALUE FOR SHIPPING". The final value fee for the lamps was $4 something (I didn't write it down, and can't navigate back to the bill summary), so a total of around $7.80 ish plus insertion and other fees, let's say over $10 for Ebay "Fees" (they had to be re-listed a couple times) - to sell a $50 set of lamps, Not counting Paypal fees, my cost for materials to pack, gas to drive the package to FedEx, my time to photo, describe,  create the auction, plus an hour spent in packing and re-sizing the box. Take away another $6.00 (conservatively)

Let's do the math.

Lamps = $50  Yay.

Shipping (my fault for undercharging and trying to be fair as possible) 

Ebay fees for final and shipping "Values" & insertion fees= $10  

Paypal fees, packing materials (very conservative here) and gas to deliver: = $6 (Easily!)

Now the "Yay" for $50 becomes "Eh" for $36

An auction takes me 1 hour to create with pics, description, ect. A pair of lamps this size take over 1 & 1/2 hours to get a right size box, wrap and pack them, process them, and drive down to ship.

2 1/2 hours to "profit" $36

$36 divided by 2.2 = $14.40 an hour, IF the lamps were free to me... 

But these lamps were not free. I lost even at $50    

What can be done to avoid this final value shipping fee, without paying for the shipping ourselves?        

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd

if memory serves....

from what I recall, there is no FVF on free shipping

thus, you could work your shipping cost into the opening price of your item/s

however, this could potentially raise the FVF on the sale itself

that being said, doing buisness on ebay will simply cost you a little money

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd

Congratulations, now you know how bad ebay sucks. Its turned into Amazon with lots of new crap made in China. Less and less used as Ebay is driving away small sellers.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd

Ebay become vampire sucking dried on seller like me who relies solely for income to feed families of 6.

Feedback score that favor buyer sucks too. I had encounter several who are using negative feedbacks score to leech from me.

Tracking number was tag on the items show "package had been delivered" and the buyer disputing he had not receive demanding refund.

I wrote to Ebay about this concern till almost 2 weeks Ebay had not respond or wouldn't do much  about my concern.

If you all encounter what I am facing we must address this major problems to Ebay this is not functional system what they had set up.

Anybody agree?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd

if memory serves....

from what I recall, there is no FVF on free shipping

thus, you could work your shipping cost into the opening price of your item<<

If you ship a, item that costs $20-$50 to ship, and pay the shipping yourself, you lose that amount. If you increase your auction price to compensate for "free" shipping, you lose sales for a high priced item, and even if you do sell it, you still pay a higher final value fee on this higher price, and you pay to ship it out of your own pocket.  DUH!    

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd

I'll tell you how to fix this! FU@%  Ebay and use Craig's list, and other avenues. Ebay is making tons of money with Ebay and Paypal, and sponsers...now they want more? FU@% THis! 

All the time and work to create an auction, communicate, pack, ship, and all the expenses, This last squeeze has put the writing on the wall. Start looking elsewhere, because GReeBay is going down!   

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd

I just got fleeced by ebay...right?

hi, I was glad to find this thread because after my ad ended last night, I felt like running my mouth.

I have been a member for a long time and have bought and sold many things. I was not aware of the fvf on shipping because i'm a part timer and work full time plus ot.

So I have an item end at my opening bid, basically my reserve...$500. I had a flat rate $70 to ship these heavy items.

I'm stoked my item sold and I couldn't be happier...even with the 9% fvf in my head I felt good.

I go to pay my fee on my account page and find $45....ouch. I wait until morning to pay with pp balance.

Boom, buyers pays by morning like clock work! Any seller knows this is great just to be paid, let alone receive feedback later.

ebay's 'paypal,' which they make you use, takes an added $16.83. Ok with that too I guess, visa needs their hands in it too right?

So I go back my account and what? I find out about.... fvf on shipping, another $6.30.

For pt seller, it just seemed like an added kick in the johnson.

I'll be lucky to have this stuff shipped for $70 let alone $63.

Maybe I should have had in my ad:

$70 flat rate shipping anywhere in the USA.

"So buyer is imformed: ebay will take that $70 in fees for me getting this item to you for your use and enjoyment. Let me cover shipping. I enjoy it as an ebay PT Seller."

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd

This new fee is typical of the greed from the bean counters that will ultimately doom eBay. I take the time to carefully weigh each item before I list it and put in the correct weight so that a buyer will get charged the exact cost of postage. The only time I add a "handling" fee is if I know that I'm going to have to go to Staples and buy a specially sized box or bubble wrap for a particular item. And even then, I only add the actual cost of the shipping supplies. So basically, I am now being charged an even HIGHER fvf on an item since I'm getting charged a fee on a pass-thru cost. Don't the folks realize the ill will they generate with fees like this? I'm getting ready to bail eBay once and for all because after over 10 years as a seller, I'm just sick and tired of ever-escalating fees and absolutely no return to me. Hope the stockholders are happy when the goose that layed the golden eggs gets cooked...

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd

2minutes2midnight,  nice comment from someone with a feedback rating of ONE.

You are either an eBay shill, or too scared to comment with your real account.  Either way, if you aren't going to contribute in a meaningful way, then don't comment at all.

Not everyone here reads every word of every policy change that comes down the eBay pike because we are busy living our lives instead.

For the record, though, I too disagree with the final value fee on shipping.  It would be a simple matter to waive shipping FVF on $15.00 or less shipping items.

Let the little fish take advantage if they must sell .99 items and charge 14.99 shipping, but in the end it would curb the high value abuse (items above $15.00 or whatever arbitrary limit that works.)

"Buh bye" to you too, 2minutes2midnight.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd

Thank you for your kind words ekeppel. The OP did not ask for any information regarding how to work with the FVF on shipping, he simply ranted and said he would stick to Craigslist...

so what would you have me say?

As for not reading policy changes, if one wants to play one should keep abreast of the rules, I am fairly sure that you would agree with that.

As for my FB rating of "ONE", I love the way you said that, it makes it sound so much more impressive than that simple (1), sorry, I digress, you are correct... I have never sold anything here and actually don't know my arse from a hole in the ground... in fact that was my first post.

Having said that, I read the name of this Board, as the Part-Time Sellers Board... not the Full-Time Whiners Board. Being a novice I guess I was wrong about that also.

I promise never to offend your sensibilities again... you are obviously a very accomplished seller and seasoned poster...

no match for a ONE.

Buh Bye to you too ekeppel.

Please use plain text.
komokwa
Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd

Eric, if it was up to you to make the rules and regulations for the PT Board , then you could tel 2M2m what he can and can not do.

Thankfully it's not !

So live & let live, & don't be so hostile to a member with 1500 ( mostly meaningful ) posts , who's been on eBay since 2000.

Many board posters use a posting ID .

I don't , you don't , he does.

Big hairy deal !!!!

Build a bridge.....and get over it !

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Please use plain text.
hondamedic
Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd

2minutes2midnight, nice comment from someone with a feedback rating of ONE.

Eric's Posting Experience

You are either an eBay shill, or too scared to comment with your real account. Either way, if you aren't going to contribute in a meaningful way, then don't comment at all.

With your posting experience the same can be said of you.

Not everyone here reads every word of every policy change that comes down the eBay pike because we are busy living our lives instead.

We see this everyday. ID's still stop in when they can't leave a Neg for a non-paying bidder. Been that way since early '08. Just like drivers who never read their Owners Manual, they learn the hard way the consequences of their ignorance.

For the record, though, I too disagree with the final value fee on shipping. It would be a simple matter to waive shipping FVF on $15.00 or less shipping items.

I disagree too. Everyone here does. I disagree with paying $3.75 a gallon for gas while EXXON shows a 2.5 Billon profit, but what the hey, I have to drive to work.

Let the little fish take advantage if they must sell .99 items and charge 14.99 shipping, but in the end it would curb the high value abuse (items above $15.00 or whatever arbitrary limit that works.)

Sorry, I disagree. Using S&H to profit from a 99cent auction is fee avoidance, or more accurately, theft of services.

"Buh bye" to you too, 2minutes2midnight.

Heart felt reply Eric!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd

Unlike the responses to my post, I actually did make the effort to respond to the OP.

From the sounds of it, there are a great number of folks with nothing better to do than work up point-by-point arguments rather than contributing to the OP questions.  At least made some attempt to do that while defending what I think many would see as a very rude comment by 2m2m.

Have fun in your little dogmatic posting world folks.  Back to real life for me.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd

Hondamedic : I could not have commented on the matter better myself. Well said!

Please use plain text.
mitrapat
Community Member

in reply to coloradojudd

figure it this way buy item $110.00 and $20 shipping fair

same item $20 and $110 shipping same price at end

Ebay on first example gets a cut on the $110

Second example Ebay gets cut on $20 

sellers at one time were complaing about this and saying it was not fair as second seller was not paying as many fees

Ebay will now even the feild on all sellers and get more money out of all

Please use plain text.