cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vinyl Record Sellers

I needed to vent because I am so tired of seeing so many vinyl sellers that have no idea what they are doing.  I like to look around at the competition and check the market and I am dumbfounded by the types of listings flooding ebay in this category.  example: 45 lp lot, the seller actually advises her buyers to clean them with alcohol before playing to protect the needle.  i don't know if people have something to hide or or just lazy but so many listings have one picture of a box or stack of 45s with no grading, description, titles.  Ugh.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Vinyl Record Sellers

Sellers who don't know what they are doing, get INAD's. Sellers who do not describe conditions, get INAD's. Cleaning vinyl records with alcohol does not hurt them. It's a different matter with 78's and other types of records.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Vinyl Record Sellers

not too long ago we came upon a huge lot of mostly punk, new wave, electronic LP's from the 80's. They were a huge hit, sold maybe a 1,000. All positive feedbacks. I thought wow record buyers are the very best, almost all left positive feedback & were so easy to deal with. You must be honest & when in doubt play the darn thing to know for sure. Great packing helps too! Too many sellers get lazy. That's a mistake.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Vinyl Record Sellers

If there are so many vinyl sellers who have no idea what they're doing, then doesn't that mean that they will have more unhappy buyers who, hopefully, will turn to you and others who are knowledgeable about the world of vinyl?  

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Vinyl Record Sellers

Anytime someone asks about the selling side of vinyl, I post this; feel free to copy and use it:
===================================

I was a record collector for many years, and sold quite a few here. My copy/paste suggestions regarding Vinyl Sales:

Record collectors are *VERY* picky, so make sure that you read, understand, use, and post in every listing what grading scale you use for both vinyl and cover, as well as any inserts (posters, etc). I recommend the Goldmine grading scale: https://www.goldminemag.com/collector-resources/record-grading-101

Make sure you identify which version of a record it might be, something as simple as a tiny text block on the cover might make a huge difference in value. I think at one time, I had over 30 different versions of Dark Side of the Moon, for example.

Invest in decent, new cardboard record mailers and new poly sleeves if they are not already so protected.

Most collectors prefer the vinyl to be *outside* of the sleeve when mailed, so that it does not slide and split the edge of the sleeve.

If you play-test them, make sure you have a decent turntable and needle.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply